AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaxx420

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Yup, I bet ur right...and the choice between pissing off a 'few' enthusiast level customers vs. selling an absolute boat of chips to Sony was an easy one I'm sure. I'm really shocked that Nvidia didn't take full advantage of AMD's production capacity being stretched waay to thin. If they'd have had the 3GB and 6GB 1060's 'available' AND at msrp they coulda capitalized on frustrated 480/470 customers. I'm guessing they're still playing catch up with 1080/1070 demand tho.
For being as impatient as I was, esp once my old gfx died and I was stuck with i5 gfx, I coulda done worse. Thx to Visa and Paypal promos at NewEgg, I paid $185 for my wife's Nitro 470 and $215 for my Nitro 480.

so both polaris and custom PS4 APU production hit the capacity production for GF? what other customer using GD 14nm fab other than AMD?

i don't think it was easy for nvidia as well. nvidia are not the only customer that want to use TSMC fab. back in 2012 TSMC end up giving some Qualcomm and AMD capacity to satisfy nvidia need.

http://techreport.com/news/30653/cryengine-will-add-dx12-multi-gpu-and-vulkan-in-future-versions

It looks like Crytek will indeed add DX12 multi-GPU support into their Engine.

Like I explained... Somewhere I can't remember, haha, Graphical Engines will take away the burden from nVidias and AMDs hands for multi-GPU. As long as each card explicitly complies with the DX12 spec portion that allows multi-GPU, it won't be much of a hassle to implement for the regular Dev.

Now, the question of scaling is the interesting one to answer now.

Cheers!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Hopefully that means Star Citizen won't run like complete crap anymore soon? We can only hope.

I would be interested to see (on more than AoTS) how a pair of RX 480's would run in Crossfire vs how they run in MultiGPU. After using crossfire in my last setup I'm pretty turned off by it.

I'm sure the Frostbite engine will add it as well and I hope UE also does soon-ish. When those are changed, I'm sure we'll start seeing more games with support.

As far as comparison goes... Once DX12 multi-GPU is used, I wonder if AMD or nVidia would be able to intercept as usual at driver level the calls without artificially affecting performance. I mean I don't know if they would be comparable as in pre-DX12 SLI/XFire and DX12 multi-GPU. Oh well, time will tell.

Cheers!

to simply enable them might not that hard. but optimization always a different story. an that's not counting issues that only appear with multi gpu setup

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
anyone lse see that AMD is giving away BF 1 with a 480 purchase. all those who have waited can finally get a bit extra value with the card :)

however it is an upgrade from standard edition to deluxe edition so you do have to buy regular version still

Embra

Distinguished
BF1 is not free, the upgrade deluxe edition is free. Buy the game and enter the code for the upgrade. Still, not bad for one wanting to upgrade to a 480ish card and planning the play BF1.

It makes me wonder, with DX12 "multi-GPU" how will frame pacing be handled? Will AMD and nVidia have to build into the drivers support for it or will/has DX12 have something already in it for it? Multi-gpu is pointless if it is a stuttering mess.

I bought BF3 (was my first shooter since Doom 3, lol) and while the campaign was fun, it was terribly short. I didn't buy BF4 and haven't much interest in BF1 as I hear that the campaign is just as short if not shorter. Considering I have no interest in multiplayer, there isn't much for me.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I bought BF3 and BF4 because they were $5 each due to a sale. The single player in BF3 was like a tutorial for multiplayer lol. I also got BF Hardline for $5 on sale and I can recommend it as its single player experience is very deep (in comparison to BF 3 and 4). I don't do multiplayer either, not worth it I get whomped all the time.

BF4 and BF Hardline both use Mantle and run excellently on my RX 480 even considering how weak my processor is.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol, that's how i feel with most games these days. so little single player and lots of multi-player stuff. great if you like it but a lot of cash to spend on a game that you won't play 75% of all online

battlefield series focus mostly on multi player. but i think they end up with campaign mode due to call of duty influence.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

BF 2: Bad Company had a pretty solid storyline.

Anyway gents lets take this thread back on track.

i think for nvidia they have partial hardware solution for frame pacing ever since fermi or kepler generation. and from my understanding multi gpu almost 100% handled by developer in DX12? nvidia/amd probably can give their advice but final implementation will be in the hands of developer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats how I understand it as well.

That said I am SURE AMD and Nvidia are going to try and make sure that MultiGPU scenarios will put their cards in the best light possible through driver updates. Maybe even as a "selling point" . "We work better with multiGPU"

Explicit control over work submission, memory management, and synchronization gives game developers the power to provide you the fastest, highest quality gaming experience possible; something only achievable with a well thought out game implementation, an efficient API, and a large amount of GPU power.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2016/07/08/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-explicit-directx-12-multigpu-and-a-peek-into-the-future/

Bolded mine.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.