[SOLVED] AMD RX 580 crashing 2 mins into game please help

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,

PC freezes when gaming, just a few mins in, monitor flickers on and off then goes black can still hear sound for a few seconds after. Then the it completely freezes OR it either comes up with the AMD bug report. I’ve recently got the new PSU and new ram so I’m sure it’s not them. I’ve tried reinstalling drivers, under bolting and it carries on happening. Please help as I don’t know what it is.

when loading gpu goes to 100% and cpu 30%, memory 50%
temperatures are gpu 75 max cpu 60 max

CPU: i7-8700k w/ Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler
GPU: Aorus RX 580
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2x8) 3200mhz
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700 Watt 80+
FANS: 4x120mm(2 in, 1 out)
SSD: 2 SSD 120gb, 250gb
HDD: 2TB Seagate

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Use DDU (guru3d.com) through safe mode to uninstall the gpu drivers, then reinstall from a fresh download.

Also make sure all the motherboard chipset drivers are current to date, those are found at the motherboard website for your exact model motherboard. Many times it's an all inclusive executable, but sometimes you'll only get individual files. Audio and Lan are a must.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I’ll try the DDU tomorrow, but I think I’ve updated all the mobo drivers, I got killer driver for the lan and I updated the audio which now causes issues with discord but that’s for another time. I’ve not changed the chipset one. But my motherboard is quite old so how come I’d need to change the drivers?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because Windows changes. With subsequent revisions, Windows changes how things are dealt with, and older drivers often do not contain the 'fixes' necessary to work correctly within those changes.

It's like having an excellent set of street tires, good soft compound that sticks like glue, excellent dry traction etc. Then it snows and you've got ice, flurries etc and those semi-slick tires are now useless.

Audio and Lan are the most susceptible to the changes as they deal directly with the gpu drivers and windows, especially for any online gaming.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd try a different PSU and see what happens.

The write-up on the first link in my sig says:
In MY opinion, Cooler Master and Thermaltake should be completely avoided

They do have a few good units, like some of the Thermaltake Toughpower series models, but most of the models sold by both these companies are either REALLY poor or barely mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced. The Thermaltake TR2 and Litepower series, even the newer revisions, should probably just be avoided altogether, along with the Smart series units, which are simply not good choices for use with gaming systems. If you want to use a Smart series unit with your internet browsing machine or some kind of low powered office box, it's probably ok. Although I'd recommend avoiding them, the Smart series units might be the best available units in some regions. That should not be mistaken for the idea that they are quality units though.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hard to say. I know from the list in that write-up, I generally go for Corsair TX, RM/RMx/HX/AX, or the Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus/Prime. There are others, but that requires me looking back up which ones have which platforms, searching, etc.

A 550W or 650W should be plenty, as long as it's one of the high-quality models. The Corsair CX (2017) is also okay, it's the "budget level but still acceptable" model, and is available as low as 450W. I'm not sure I'd chance that with a relatively modern i7 plus an RX 580, though.

But, the prices are going to be unpredictable for the next month. That Corsair CX450 was available at $39.99 after $20 mail-in rebate, a price that it hasn't been at since before the pandemic. I snagged one just to have something extra to test with. That price is back again, but, like I said, if your PC is running full-tilt 100% utilization on the GPU, CPU, etc., that is probably pushing it too close for my comfort.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx450-450w/p/N82E16817139201

The Corsair CX-F is an RGB equipped PSU, and is a slight step up from the CX models, in terms of quality. Also, the 650W is available currently at $64.99 after $20 mail-in rebate.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx650f-rgb-cp-9020217-na-650w/p/N82E16817139263

If you were looking, I'd probably go for that if you're trying to keep things relatively low priced. Otherwise, go with a Corsair TX or RM, or a Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, or Prime.

HOWEVER... all that said, I can't be 100% sure that it's your PSU that's causing the issue. Just that the symptoms, along with the fact that the existing one is a Thermaltake Smart, make me suspect it.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
It doesn’t actually say anything, it just tell me to select what game I was playing n what happened to send it off. But basically it’s whenever I’m loading into anything, e.g csgo competitives. Like the screen will freeze with colour then the monitors will blink and stay black, but throughout this I can hear my friends and the game, and then I can’t hear my friends (discord) just the ambiance of the game. Then I have to restart for it to work.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I've already ran a test and there were no issues with either of ram but I did have two rams at different screens causing BSODs so I've taken the slower ones out. I think this is more Graphics card related

Is there a better program to see temperatures for cpu, gpu etc as I use corsair link which now only hows just my GPU temps and not my cpu, cpu cooler and other fan speeds.

octans.sigma2

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Theres MSI afterburner with RTSS you can set it up to show CPU , GPU and other things usage , temps and other stats . And this might be a lame question but have you tried to plug in a different hdmi/dp cable?