[SOLVED] AMD RX 580 crashing 2 mins into game please help

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,

PC freezes when gaming, just a few mins in, monitor flickers on and off then goes black can still hear sound for a few seconds after. Then the it completely freezes OR it either comes up with the AMD bug report. I’ve recently got the new PSU and new ram so I’m sure it’s not them. I’ve tried reinstalling drivers, under bolting and it carries on happening. Please help as I don’t know what it is.

when loading gpu goes to 100% and cpu 30%, memory 50%
temperatures are gpu 75 max cpu 60 max

CPU: i7-8700k w/ Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler
GPU: Aorus RX 580
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2x8) 3200mhz
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700 Watt 80+
FANS: 4x120mm(2 in, 1 out)
SSD: 2 SSD 120gb, 250gb
HDD: 2TB Seagate

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
The only things that stand out to me are:
-that my CPU sometimes is at 60 degrees idle which do concern me, but it's not frequent
-My GPU did have a fan issue were it clicked as it span so I took the fan out and replaced them with 120mm fans and used a splitter to GPU fan and have them running at full, I'm not sure if this causes the issues as it runs at much lower temperatures that before
  1. 0 issues found
  2. first step successful, second step found no integrity violations
  3. all good https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s8DU4_bpR9qOasXk_MQQpeaehJEdGTRO/view?usp=sharing

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Mon 23/11/2020 19:41:57 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\PoW32kWatchdog-20201123-1941.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!IoUnregisterShutdownNotification+0xBEE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A1 (0xFFFF988FF48EC040, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 16/11/2020 22:44:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111620-16375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C3B20)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF805275CAF2E, 0x2, 0x8, 0xFFFFF805275CAF2E)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 15/11/2020 18:18:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111520-14250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C3B20)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8055D49BE82, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

On Mon 28/09/2020 13:22:22 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092820-9890-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x40F25)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFA78CC2EB9080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\PoW32kWatchdog-20201022-2022.dmp

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL was due to having two different memory speeds on two different ram kits which has been resolved
actual files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gC9YZ2Fkh9XlPFUM4iVIju9W1B7pKS5u/view?usp=sharing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe you should just do a clean install of Windows.

This is one of those times that call for a good 'colon cleansing' to get rid of some ancient or bad bacteria lingering in the OS's gut.

Reactions: octans.sigma2

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
It's now started to happen again, last night and just now. I've noticed that when it happened last time, my audio wasn't being recognized on discord so I'd have to set it to the one and back to default and it would work again. and it happened last night, now the crashes have come back. Could these have any correlation?

edit: It's not as frequent as it used to be but my CPU does seem to be at 75 while gaming

Last edited:

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I did the clean install a few weeks ago and it fixed it. Now it’s started happening again. And I find it happens more at high usage/temps? I can’t seem to figure out any connections between a clean install and the crashes. Could it be dried up thermal paste on my gpu?

PC crashed when it was hot, can there be anything that's making my pc overheat since the reinstall?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Re-applying thermal paste to my gpu has fixed it. I opened it up and the gpu was bare, thermal paste was around the edges and all dried up
That's not all that uncommon with some pastes. Most thermal pastes were designed for IHS use, which is pretty rough considering it's smooth appearance, it's like 5000 grit sandpaper. The gpu is direct-die, there's no metal. It's almost glassy. So using a oily type thermal paste that's excellent for cpus, is often disastrous for gpus. What's required and most often recommended is Arctic MX-4 as it's a thicker, stickier paste that doesn't 'flow' like the thinner and more viscous pastes. That keeps the paste where it's put and about eliminates paste dispersion.

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
I had one of those and I gave up on it I spent the extra money and got a Ryzen 3700X and a Gygabyte Geforce RTX 3070. That's my best advice to you that card is just to small to run anything any good. At least upgrade to Raytracing I was wondering if it was worth what I paid for a Rtx 2070 Super and the first time I played Control I was like yeah it was worth it. Then I played it with the 3070 and it was like the difference between an Atari 2600 and a Playstation it's that noticable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ray Tracing got a boost in the Ampere cards, much more horsepower overall, so is somewhat more efficient and effective vrs the Turing cards.

Some games, like Minecraft, show massive visual improvements with Ray Tracing active, but can easily take a 100(ish) fps kick in the face as a result. Depending on the card.

Ray Tracing is a Quality improvement, DLSS is a Performance improvement. So if you are into fast-paced 1st person type shooter games, Ray Tracing isn't going to be your friend. DLSS is.

If you prefer open world, mmorpg, strategy or Sims type games, DLSS helps but for visuals Ray Tracing is a sweet deal.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I had one of those and I gave up on it I spent the extra money and got a Ryzen 3700X and a Gygabyte Geforce RTX 3070. That's my best advice to you that card is just to small to run anything any good. At least upgrade to Raytracing I was wondering if it was worth what I paid for a Rtx 2070 Super and the first time I played Control I was like yeah it was worth it. Then I played it with the 3070 and it was like the difference between an Atari 2600 and a Playstation it's that noticable.

Not helpful advice considering:
  1. The going rate for a new RX 580 at the time this thread was made was under $200
  2. You're suggesting the RTX 3070, a card that has an official suggested retail price of $499, so, basically, 2-1/2 times the cost. Not everyone can simply decide to more than double their GPU budget.
  3. Above and beyond that, unless you're really patient and/or really lucky, you're going to pay a LOT more for a 3070.
  4. Aside from budget, the 3070 is an entirely different class/performance tier. The RX 580 was meant to be a mainstream 1080p@60fps card when it was released. The suggestion is like someone having issues with a GTX 1050, and you then turn around and suggest they get instead get a GTX 1080Ti.
  5. The OP already had the card when this thread was created.

TRENDING THREADS