[SOLVED] AMD ryzen 5 3600X - does 71-80C affect my FPS ?

Jun 8, 2020
Hey! I have a 2month old AMD ryzen 5 3600X - I know there's alot of posts about it and its temperatures but none really makes sense to me..sorry!

i use CPU temp tracker when i play now, i play CALL OF DUTY:WARZONE and my CPU runs from 71C and peaks at 82C ish! Ive read that these do run at high temp ( i use stock cooler)

Question is: Do this affect my FPS?

Will my FPS increase by buying forexample this: https://www.komplett.no/product/112...ing/cpu-vannkjoeling/deepcool-captain-240-pro ?

Ive invested alot in my PC - i upgraded to 2080TI recently, it was originally gonna be cheap but. So if this is completly normal i will keep it as is. At this point im just tempted to even go I9-9900 lol.

Solution
Hey! I have a 2month old AMD ryzen 5 3600X - I know there's alot of posts about it and its temperatures but none really makes sense to me..sorry!

i use CPU temp tracker when i play now, i play CALL OF DUTY:WARZONE and my CPU runs from 71C and peaks at 82C ish! Ive read that these do run at high temp ( i use stock cooler)

Will my FPS increase by buying forexample this: https://www.komplett.no/product/112...ing/cpu-vannkjoeling/deepcool-captain-240-pro ?

Ive invested alot in my PC - i upgraded to 2080TI recently, it was originally gonna be cheap but. So if this is completly normal i will keep it as is. At this point im just tempted to...

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Ive invested alot in my PC - i upgraded to 2080TI recently, it was originally gonna be cheap but. So if this is completly normal i will keep it as is. At this point im just tempted to even go I9-9900 lol.

no you are fine, id get a better cooler though

Reactions: kurdtnz

Small impact if any...those temps are within the normal operating range...though clock speed probably isn't optimal.

That cpu cooler will help maximize performance.

The Ryzen cpus are easy to understand...they basically run an internal algorithm balancing heat, clock speed, and voltage...and will dynamically adjust all three on the fly to optimize clock speed.

If you have a basic cooler, like the stock one, the cpu will have to lower clock speed and/or volts to keep the chip happy within the operating range regarding temp.

If you provide much better cooling, like with a good AIO or a Noctua NH D15 as examples, the chip will be able to scale clock speed and voltage higher because temp won't be the limiting factor as quickly.

This is one of the primary reasons we see so many people on here asking not only about temps but also about volts...they don't realize that when you provide Ryzen with better cooling it will push clock speed higher and volts higher until temp becomes an issue again.

These chips know how to manage themselves very well...provide them with good cooling and overclocking isn't really a thing required to get great all around performance.

Solution
Jun 8, 2020
Small impact if any...those temps are within the normal operating range...though clock speed probably isn't optimal.

That cpu cooler will help maximize performance.

The Ryzen cpus are easy to understand...they basically run an internal algorithm balancing heat, clock speed, and voltage...and will dynamically adjust all three on the fly to optimize clock speed.

If you have a basic cooler, like the stock one, the cpu will have to lower clock speed and/or volts to keep the chip happy within the operating range regarding temp.

If you provide much better cooling, like with a good AIO or a Noctua NH D15 as examples, the chip will be able to scale clock speed and voltage higher because temp won't be the limiting factor as quickly.

This is one of the primary reasons we see so many people on here asking not only about temps but also about volts...they don't realize that when you provide Ryzen with better cooling it will push clock speed higher and volts higher until temp becomes an issue again.

These chips know how to manage themselves very well...provide them with good cooling and overclocking isn't really a thing required to get great all around performance.
okay, the noctua NH D15 is a cheap upgrade then. BUT - i see people writing about limiting in bios and turning down volts. Cant you find a sweet spot on speed and voltage where it simply will stop at a certain temp where it wont start to turn down performance to keep temp down? or?

And should i just go get the NH D15 right away and dont think about doing anything

BUT - i see people writing about limiting in bios and turning down volts. Cant you find a sweet spot on speed and voltage where it simply will stop at a certain temp where it wont start to turn down performance to keep temp down? or?

If you grab the Noctua make sure to grab the AM4 variant.

If you turn down volts in order to control temps you're going to suppress clock speed...granted there may be some chips out there that will run advertised clock speed at lower than stock volts but that will likely impact the chips ability to boost properly on all cores at full load.

If you turn down clock speed to control temp there was no point in buying a fast cpu so not really an option IMO.

The best thing to do is improve cooling and simply let the chip run its algorithm to provide you the best performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX
Jun 8, 2020
If you grab the Noctua make sure to grab the AM4 variant.

If you turn down volts in order to control temps you're going to suppress clock speed...granted there may be some chips out there that will run advertised clock speed at lower than stock volts but that will likely impact the chips ability to boost properly on all cores at full load.

If you turn down clock speed to control temp there was no point in buying a fast cpu so not really an option IMO.

The best thing to do is improve cooling and simply let the chip run its algorithm to provide you the best performance.
Btw - i read that its quite big and you need to check for clearence for it.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4
https://www.komplett.no/product/841...-black-window?noredirect=true?noredirect=true
is what i have. and

https://www.komplett.no/product/914.../noctua-nh-d15-se-am4-cpu-kjoeler#productinfo is the fan i want to buy then

Typically the only issue is with overly large heatsinks on memory...I run 4 sticks of FlareX memory and have no issues with my NH D-15 SE-AM4. You may want to measure the depth of your case...mine is 21.5cm deep and I have no issue with the side panel.

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
The D15 will go over your ram so if you have ram with rgb it will cover them.
I have my front fan on D15 a litle higher then its suposed to be to clear the ram and my ram ar not very high.

But the D15 works very well. Check Noctua homepage, they have a good list of what case and mobo theyr cooler works with

Jun 8, 2020
Jun 8, 2020
The D15 will go over your ram so if you have ram with rgb it will cover them.
I have my front fan on D15 a litle higher then its suposed to be to clear the ram and my ram ar not very high.

But the D15 works very well. Check Noctua homepage, they have a good list of what case and mobo theyr cooler works with
https://www.komplett.no/product/113...nkjoeling/corsair-hydro-h100i-rgb-platinum-se or can i roll with these with same effect? the look is tempting and theres space in the roof for it

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
You cold also change your case to a fully front mesh with 2 or 3 fans and sell your Fractal case. 1000nok on D15 and 1000-1500nok minus the 5-700nok you will get for your other case.

Jun 8, 2020
You cold also change your case to a fully front mesh with 2 or 3 fans and sell your Fractal case. 1000nok on D15 and 1000-1500nok minus the 5-700nok you will get for your other case.
yeah at this point im just tempted at selling my PC and buying a built. i have no experienced building PC's. but i feel like im "done" now and last part i miss is CPU cooler.

I have
2080 TI
Ryzen 5 3600X
32GB ram 3000mhz
650W psu

But i also read that it should work perfectly fine with stock cooler aslong as i dont OC and that the Ryzen 5's run at high temps (eg mine is 71-78 ish) while gaming...

Just kinda want to hear that its alright

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
I cant and wont comment on CPU temps becouse it would only be speculating from my part.
Selling and buying new pre buildt is a hughe wast of money. But if you have the money to burn thats up to you.

Changing cooler atleast to a air cooler is very simple and thers a tonn of how to on youtube.

If you take the extra step and change the case witch may not be needed by just replacing cooler. You just mark the wires and the plugs with white tape and mark them before removing then you know exactly where they go when your putting it back in place. It dosent require much skill and it gives a very satisfying feelings to do it your self and you also learn more about the hardwear by doing it your self.