News AMD Ryzen 5000 Mobile 'Cezanne' SoC Architecture Deep Dive: Zen 3 Powers Into Notebooks

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
How is it that the old gen Ryzen (4500U) never fully came to market? Acer had all these laptops announced that quietly disappeared, like the Aspire line had different colors and configurations, about 80% of their SKU's are either not out or will never come out. Meanwhile 3500U's are still being sold as new which came out 2+ years ago.

linuxdude

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
How is it that the old gen Ryzen (4500U) never fully came to market? Acer had all these laptops announced that quietly disappeared, like the Aspire line had different colors and configurations, about 80% of their SKU's are either not out or will never come out. Meanwhile 3500U's are still being sold as new which came out 2+ years ago.

Ryten 4000 is manufactured using TSMC's 7nm technology - which is currently extremly tight. Ryzen 3k is made by a different fab which seems to have more capacity available (or AMD was better at securing their share).

Reactions: ThatMouse
How is it that the old gen Ryzen (4500U) never fully came to market?...
Yes, is interesting. My guess would be, in laptop segment, "Intel inside" is still attractive to see for many. We should keep in mind, that laptop is final product (open / use), without upgrading in mind. Desktop PC's are different, especially for builders -here users "investigate" more deeply what's "the best" (for them).
Anyway, last year I bought Lenovo laptop with 4500U inside. I use it as "backup" and I'm quite happy with it. Now, this 5000 series for laptops really look impressive...

Just my 2c

Reactions: ThatMouse

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Yes, is interesting. My guess would be, in laptop segment, "Intel inside" is still attractive to see for many. We should keep in mind, that laptop is final product (open / use), without upgrading in mind. Desktop PC's are different, especially for builders -here users "investigate" more deeply what's "the best" (for them).
Anyway, last year I bought Lenovo laptop with 4500U inside. I use it as "backup" and I'm quite happy with it. Now, this 5000 series for laptops really look impressive...

Just my 2c

Ya, I like my Dad's new Acer Aspire 5 4500U as long as you don't break the screen opening and closing it too much. lol!

I'm just concerned we won't see the 5000 series for awhile except maybe in premium laptops. So what should we be recommending to people who don't read tom'sHardware ;) wait for the 4500U or wait for the 5500U? You can't tell people buy AMD when there's still 3500U spammed all over Amazon and Walmart!

.. You can't tell people buy AMD when there's still 3500U spammed all over Amazon and Walmart!
Majority of laptop buyers don't really seek for info (forums, reviews, etc.).. and many think AMD is some 3rd class brand. You know, is sense "I need a reliable and quality laptop.. so I get Intel" -is all about advertising.
When I was buying laptop, salesman there almost pushed me to buy (exactly the same, but more expensive) Lenovo with Intel CPU... to them, "Intel" is still easier to sell -especially for first time buyers.

Just sharing my thoughts

kaalus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I don't know why so many people get excited about this 45W hairdryer heating element. A really interesting CPU would be 10W, allowing passive cooling, like Intel Gemini Lake N5000 but with more speed.

I don't know why so many people get excited about this 45W hairdryer heating element. A really interesting CPU would be 10W...
Me personally, I'm more interested on low power CPU's for laptops too. However, we should keep in mind, that not everyone uses laptop the same way. For many, laptop might be the only "PC" in house, and so they are interested to have enough performance.

TRENDING THREADS