News AMD Ryzen AI software heralds the arrival of five new CPUs — support for Strix Halo and Kraken Point chips added

Status
Not open for further replies.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
So what will be better, Kraken Point or Lunar Lake?

It sounds to me like Lunar Lake could have better single-threaded performance and graphics than Kraken (4x Zen 5, 4x Zen 5c, 8 CUs RDNA3.5).

If that's the case, Kraken Point would have merit mostly by being cheaper. It could be used in handhelds better than a Steam Deck with better power efficiency than the Z1 Extreme handhelds. Valve itself probably won't use it because the graphics uplift isn't enough.

With the same 50 TOPS XDNA2, it will also make its way into overpriced Copilot+-ready laptops. Remember when AMD tried to pitch Mendocino for the $400-700 segment? Kra(c)ken isn't even the Mendocino sequel: Sonoma Valley.

Also, do we think "Bald Eagle Point" is real? Basically Strix Point + 16 MiB Infinity Cache.

which will compete against the best CPUs.
That was shoehorned in.

Last edited:

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Is there any practical use for 50 TOPS or 70 TOPS on a laptop?

Most people seem more interested in the long battery life on the Copilot laptops and the better integrated graphics on the new AMD chips than any AI feature

Reactions: NinoPino

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013

Most people seem more interested in the long battery life on the Copilot laptops and the better integrated graphics on the new AMD chips than any AI feature
50 TOPS is more than what you are getting out of the iGPU, so it could be used for something like Stable Diffusion.

In fact, AMD has their own software for people to do just that, with the NPU as a requirement for the "XDNA Super Resolution" step:
https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...ce-ai-image-generation-on-modern-amd-hardware

If I got a laptop with this or a Strix "9700G" desktop APU, I would try generating images continuously with the NPU while playing a game.

Reactions: Mattzun

kealii123

Proper
Nov 3, 2023

If LLMs ever start running on the NPU, then yes. I would love using a version of copilot (the copilot for programmers) that runs locally, so theres less latency, longer context windows, and better understanding of my codebase. But until then, the only thing NPUs are good for is noise cancellation and background blur during zoom calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattzun
Status
Not open for further replies.