Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdwii

Splendid
"AMD has really good DX12 drivers. Nvidia has really crappy DX12 drivers."

More like Nvidia hardware doesn't have built in support for 12 100% and they cheap out with using software instead.

I'm not to sure why Amd's directx 11 isn't as good as Nvidia's.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I do not think there is an inherent problem with AMD optimizing their GPU drivers for their CPUs. I think it honestly helps them long term to do so, simply because Nvidia is not going to optimize for AMD CPUs, and I doubt Intel is at all concerned about whose GPU drivers do what with their CPUs at this point.

If you are going to buy an AMD CPU, and you look at graphics cards reviews and see that X GPU from ATI/AMD works a bit better for similar or less money than the equivalent Nvidia card, then you would get the AMD GPU. Some people will still buy AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, just because...but they are in a unique position to optimize the interaction between their hardware on both sides. I think ignoring that prospect is probably a bad business decision.

Now, as long as they are not sabotaging Nvidia or Intel, I am fine with it. I doubt they would do so anyway, but the point remains. It is up to Nvidia to optimize their hardware and drivers to function best on the various platforms out there. As it stands, they are clearly focused on DX11 and Intel. It seems AMD is focused on DX12/Vulkan, and making sure their CPU/GPU combinations interact in the most optimal manner.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Wow what a video.. A hundred hours eh.. well no one will slag him now, he was takin a lot of flak over previous video "tech press goes crazy", but it has to be said excellent reviewer !

AMD GPU's are not just performing better on Ryzen they perform better on both CPU's intel included, gap closes between to cpu's with crossfire but the 7700k benefits from crossfire an dx12 as well.. maybe not as much but !! Is it not jus that nvidia's dx12 drivers suck ?

Vega is gonna be savage in dx12 ... Will nvidia fix this do you's reckon now that a light has been shone on it ?

Be interesting to see the 6900k in that bench an how it does in dx12 with amd crossfire...

randomizer

Champion

You can account for that by running the external application while running internal benchmarks.

Bolded: yes, there is one. Maybe not now, but depending on market position that is something no one should ever allow a Company doing. That is how monopolies start. It's a principle thing and nothing to do with the context and present status of a Company. I can understand a Company doing it because they don't have access to all the tools that would allow them to optimize for the competition, but that is hardly the case here I would imagine.

But yes, I am overreacting. It's just one of the flags I can see from a mile away being raised casually. I don't think AMD will follow that route either, but a Company is a Company. They'll do whatever for the bottom line.

And in other Ryzen news. TR put the news they already have the 4core and 6core siblings in the lab. I would imagine Toms does have them as well. I just hope we see more CPUs being tested alongside the new stuff and a RX480 just for research purposes :p

Cheers!

randomizer

Champion
I wish reviewers would benchmark the i7 920 alongside new CPUs. It makes it hard to do comparisons otherwise. Even TPU, which usually does reviews with fairly old hardware included, did not help me out this time. If I was an unreasonably unreasonable person I would be livid right now.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I can agree with some of your points, but it is not like Nvidia cannot get their hands on hardware and start optimizing to help themselves. Who but Nvidia can optimize their drivers?

Besides, it is pretty clear they are unconcerned about DX12/Vulkan because their drivers suck badly...

jdwii

Splendid
Again its a hardware issue not a software issue. With Amd and their noncompetitive 11 performance it was a software issue something that they actually have been fixing 480rx looks a lot better in directx 11 titles today then it did at launch.

Reviewers are getting the more relevant Ryzen chips the R5 does anyone know when the R3 comes out?

Something tells me we might have to wait until APUs come out with Ryzen.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Nvidia used to be great with their driver optimizations... Why now are they all of a sudden so bad at it ? Their dx12 support is brutal. Are they just optimizing for Intel an the 7700k I can't help wondering. Hardly the case is it ?

NickatNight8320

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
It was my understanding that AMD's jump in dx12 performance was related more to the fact that DX12 can leverage the Asynchronous compute engine that has been apart of GCN for years. And Nvidia doesn't have a fully compatible system for Async Compute.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
So is it an architectural problem ? Can it be solved with software ? I suppose that's the real question. This Could help AMD a lot, Ryzen and Vega... It's seem's the way they always look to the future is starting to pay off.. Especially with multi core cpu's, dx12 and vulken...

Although I think that maybe the 6900k would probably see the benefit from AMD GPU's in the same benchmark.. I'd like to see it tested actually.

I'd say vega will be a demon in dx12/vulken titles...interesting twist eh :)

Keep editing I know sry guy's ... jus seen this "Nvidia's 378.78 driver delivers giant gains in several DirectX 12 games"
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-37878-driver-delivers-giant-gains-in-several-directx-12-games/
33 percent improvement in dx12... Where the nvidia numbers in the video from this driver I wonder. Maybe not.

Similiar story in The Division by the way.. tested by someone else on reddit, I posted links an info in the Vega thread as it's relating to Vega.

edit (again): Adored confirmed nvidia numbers are from their latest driver.. he said they must have been brutal before the 33 percent increase in tomb raider.

I don't know... This sounds like another of those hype snowballs that is starting to be passed from reviewer to reviewer (in YT at least) and they are having, from what it seems, a placebo effect on them. Why? In that video he says "butter smooth this, butter smooth that", but then again, you see explicit hiccups when the scene gets actually loaded with enemy AI. That IS a CPU dependent situation.

I will need to see numbers backing those claims to actually trust them, 8350. Them YT reviewers are saying empty words with no numbers to back them up.

Remember that those are subjective interpretations, so salt is mandatory.

Cheers!

EDIT: Removed word.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Watch Jayz2cents video. There is zero stutter in any game he runs on 1800X, and he cannot stop talking about how fluid the experience is for him. He tests a lot of games, too...GTAV, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
No this is a fact An it's a major bonus Ryzen has over Intel with it's architecture.. Many different reviewers are describing this..

An it makes perfect sense when you think about it...

The silky smooth gaming experience that people are describing is being delivered because the PCI Express lane's for the GPU or GPU's and USB 3.1 for the mouse and keyboard, go directly to and through the CPU instead of the chipset on the motherboard..

You can imagine the difference this is making in response times and the general feel in games.. !

PCI Express 3.0's 8 GT/s bit rate effectively delivers 985 MB/s per lane... I'm not sure this would be enough for a dual GPU version of Vega... But two cards in crossfire should work like a dream I'd say !
We could be looking at an 8k gaming rig with this setup.. and a "silky smooth" experience to go with it as well... This will be pretty amazing to say the least..

It is a pity that they haven't got PCI Express 4.0 support or 3.1 for that matter, built in (I suppose i'm just getting greedy now). This obviously is a limitation of the Zen architecture itself. As even Naples in 2 socket version's is using PCI Express 3.0 to talk to itself...

Well maybe we will get PCI Express 4.0 support for Zen+, we live in hope I guess.

I suppose for now we should appreciate what we have at the moment as this architecture really is something else... The closer we look at it, the more amazing it seems to be.

I cannot wait to experience this "silky smooth" gaming... in dx12 or Vulken with Ryzen 7 and a Vega GPU :)

Cheers,
Jay

Edit: Spelling and grammer.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I've had the experience of Doom 2016 on a gtx680, then just after on an rx 470, nvidia are brutal on vulkan vs amd, we're talking much better settings an 100+fps vs sub 30 in places.

randomizer

Champion

Sounds awfully similar to the claims about Phenom having some magic advantage because it was a "real" quad core. What people feel in an uncontrolled test is of little value.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Maybe, but the similarity ends there, this is a real thing, I could be wrong hey it's happened before but I really doubt it...

The architecture explains this... an it makes perfect sense if you look at it..

Lot's of different reviewers are describing this "silky smooth" gameplay, but don't know why it's happening.
Adored TV even mentions the mouse response and sensitivity.. as well as the silky smooth feel of tomb raider while reviewing in actual gameplay...

As I say Many different reviewers have mentioned this phenomenon without any explanation.

But mention it they do none the less... :)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

that was nasty.

anyhow. people who bought r7s most likely got 1440p monitors, at 1440p intel has no significant advantage. the r5s will decide ryzen's success since these will be the chips that will sell in volumes.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

True but after recent revelations, I think I'd really like an R7 or at least a six core... with the way AMD's GPU's are responding in dx12 an vulken...

Just keep in mind the "no numbers given" aspect of the claims.

I don't have any particular reason to go against any YT's impression of how good or bad Ryzen "feels", but you can't take those words as fact without evidence.

Also. No matter how well you understand Zen's underlying uArch and parts, AMD and Intel work as platforms and a single component of difference can alter the results greatly. I gave it some thought and imagine AMD works better with SSDs in RAID0 than Intel (example), but reviewers only use single SSDs? That has a direct, quantifiable, impact on loading times and other tasks, but might never be brought to the light because no one cared to do the test.

So, there's reasons to trust and not trust subjective impressions of reviewers. Configuration changes in a platform and the methodology can make the results vary greatly. We are all supposed to be aware of this fact.

Cheers!

randomizer

Champion
The fact that multiple reviewers have noticed this mysterious smoothness does not mean anything. They may be noticing it because they're expecting to notice it. I am highly skeptical of someone who is attributing the responsiveness of his mouse to the platform.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Maybe so guy's but it makes sense that the smoothness in game would be attributed to the chipset being cut out of the middle.. the cpu is now talking directly to the gpu and the usb keyboard an mouse.. I have asked reviewer to look into it so hopefully we will find out soon if this is indeed the case.

Other games are even jerking sometimes when running on the 7700k.. you could see this in one of the YT's videos an was it not happening on ryzen system... I can't remember now which guy it was.. I think maybe Jay2cents... an the same game was running noticeably (viisually obvious to us) smoother on Ryzen.. Well completely smooth on his video review... Surely someone here may have the review...an may remember. Sry I can't remember who it was or the game.. but those details stuck in my head..

I think it was mafia or something like that anyway.... I've watched so many reviews at this stage they are coming out of my ears !!

But I think he was saying that it might have been that fps was higher on 7700k.. but the gap between highest and lowest fram rate was much bigger on 7700k... causing a stutter.... this just simply was not happening at all on the Ryzen system. Seem's to be the case in more than one game...

I can understand what u guy's are saying that maybe it's all in the head.. but everyone seem's to agree on this one point... isn't that unusual in itself.. for everyone to agree on something across the board ? :)

J