AMD Ryzen Motherboards Could Pose Heatsink Pressure Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Had same issue with a well known cooler Corsair H80i, worked fine on AM3 had issues on my 4790k .. fixed it with 4 washers on the back .. no big deal.

arakisb

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Complete non issue. I am sure you can come up with something better than that to put a touch of grey on the launch. Intel will be happy that you are following their guidance and taking their money.

I'd call it a minor issue, but not a 'non'-issue.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Not same issues as "The past Intel mounting issues"

Like always, AMD should of done better to avoid major cooling related issues instead desperately improving ryzen cpu to forget the important part of durability.

Taine449

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Please state sources? This is a complete non issue, they will have updated screw sizes before customers have an issue. try harder to screw up amd launch :)

l187l

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

It's clearly an issue... You are the worst kind of fanboy. If this were an Intel product, you'd be trashing it like it was the worst thing ever, and don't pretend you wouldn't. The media's job is to report what is going on and this happened, so I would be pissed if they DIDN'T report this.

and before you get all pissy and say I'm an intel fanboy or something, I have an 1800x pre-ordered and currently have an Intel i5 4690k that I got after returning an FX 6300(it was no better than my overclocked phenom...). I buy what best fits my needs(even though I don't really need an 1800x, but F it...)

I'd say minor oversight at best, the problem that Intel had with its heat sinks was actually much worse as it was causing crush issues with the processor. Intel fixed that problem swiftly and it was basically a non-issue. I'm sure AMD will have this issue sorted out before their processors even release. A backplate issue can be problematic to serious, but its something that is easily fixed. Shouldn't be anything to hamper the release of Ryzen.

Noctua does have heatsinks purposely build for the AM4 platform, however they are also offering free backplate kits to make almost all heatsinks made since 2005 compatible with the AM4 platform.

http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit

John__Titor

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
If true, I hope it gets sorted out. Heat issues could leave this dead in the water. I won't be using a stock heatsink anyways. Odd though, Tom's said they don't get involved in the rumour mill leading up to release... I guess we'll find out in a few days.

As stated, this is only a minor issue because its one that is relatively easy to fix. Intel just had a very similar problem when it released Skylake. Intels' issues could actually cause the processor to be crushed, Intel quickly and quietly fixed the issue, AMD will do the same.

ToyForTheGods

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
There is always that one guy that has to find something not to like about a potential amazing product. This is an issue I have had since 2001, it is not a new problem, just use your head when installing your CPU's cooling solution.

Hey look, Toms is having a scoop...

Did you check this out on all the mobo you tested? Are you sure it is not an isolated case? Is that for a brand of mobo in particular...

Of course, there is no info on that from Tom...

Give me a break...

Status
Not open for further replies.