AMD Sets New Pricing For A-Series APUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Can I be serious for a second? AMD's APU listings are confusing as hell, especially in laptops where so little benchmark information is available. The availability or lack thereof of AMD APU machines doesn't help matters either.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

If I were a betting man, I would bet a healthy sum that you cannot find an intel cpu + dGPU for $90 that is going to out-perform an a8-7600 (situational discounts excluded). You should reconsider your definition of "good enough" - or, better yet, accept that your definition of "good enough" may not be the same as everyone else's. I'm typing this on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. Yeah. The old kind. Got it for $150. It's just fine for browsing, light media consumption, and the kind of hobby-programming I do. For what most people expect a laptop to be able to do, it is "good enough". My mom and sister, on the other hand, are using antiquated hardware that struggles to have more than two tabs open at once - on a desktop. An a8-7600 would be ultra-high-end compared to what they use (I used to use a similar system, then I got an a10-5800k-based system and cried out of joy) - and I am certain that there are plenty out there in the market who use primarily old, slow computers, and for whom an a8-7600 in particular would make a fantastic upgrade that provides well-rounded performance, excellent multimedia performance and entry-level gaming at an as-yet uncontested price point (when there are graphics cards and cpus with similar performance for $45 each, let me know).

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
So Newegg appears to have updated their prices (they have the 3-game-options deal with the 7850k at least) and they want $160 for the 7850k, and $105 for the a8-7600. They dropped the a8-7600 a whopping $5 in price... hopefully by black friday they'll be selling for closer to the prices listed here. Are these APUs available anywhere else for the prices listed here?

Did you check PCpartspicker.com?

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I checked PCpartpicker.com - the lowest price after shipping for the 7850k currently is $154 at superbiiz, and the lowest price for the a8-7600 is $102 at some place called mwave.

It's a shame that they won't be available for the prices listed in this article by the time October - and the free game promotion - ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS