AMD Shows Live Demo of Trinity APU With Eyefinity Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
It will be interesting to see benchmarks on Trinity. For the time being, it seems like AMD has a winner in the laptop market. I hope, however, that they keep on top of development so that Intel does not catch them with their pants down.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]eklerus[/nom]on the GPU side why they don't push it a little further they have the tech already[/citation]
How much further can they push while keeping the chip under 35W? Also, when they designed Trinity, 7000-series wasn't even developed yet.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
This is cool, im sorry if i sound stupid but it is possible to have an apu like this on motherboard with 4 pci express slots so i can keep adding gpus as time goes by (and gather enough money)

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]At 1:27.....Ooops.[/citation]

Current Llano heats a lot in desktop, so they better come up with better HSFs this time around for the Boxed ones. Also, it's pretty darn impressive that it can push 3x 1680x1050 monitors in eyefinity, even with the artifacts, lol.

Cheers!

on the GPU side why they don't push it a little further they have the tech already

How much further can they push while keeping the chip under 35W? Also, when they designed Trinity, 7000-series wasn't even developed yet.

With Trinity, AMD is rumored to have made significant improvements in 'dual-graphics' -- combining the APU with a discreet card (HD 6570 Turks Pro if I remember correctly).

If true, this should have a substantial impact on both the mobile and desktop space.

TrinityII in 2013 is rumored to be the GCN derivative in the APU (and presumably, dual-graphics). Remember that Cape Verde at 28nm brings some interesting things to the table -- the long-idle state and advanced 'Power Tune' being prominent.

When you consider their re-engineering of the Compute Units on GCN, it gives you a idea of where they ultimately want to go with all this.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
[citation][nom]zeratul600[/nom]This is cool, im sorry if i sound stupid but it is possible to have an apu like this on motherboard with 4 pci express slots so i can keep adding gpus as time goes by (and gather enough money)[/citation]
[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]With Trinity, AMD is rumored to have made significant improvements in 'dual-graphics' -- combining the APU with a discreet card (HD 6570 Turks Pro if I remember correctly). If true, this should have a substantial impact on both the mobile and desktop space.TrinityII in 2013 is rumored to be the GCN derivative in the APU (and presumably, dual-graphics). Remember that Cape Verde at 28nm brings some interesting things to the table -- the long-idle state and advanced 'Power Tune' being prominent.When you consider their re-engineering of the Compute Units on GCN, it gives you a idea of where they ultimately want to go with all this.[/citation]
So this means that they can work in tandem apu + 4 video cards?

gilgamex101

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Current Llano heats a lot in desktop, so they better come up with better HSFs this time around for the Boxed ones. Also, it's pretty darn impressive that it can push 3x 1680x1050 monitors in eyefinity, even with the artifacts, lol.Cheers![/citation]

I'm assuming you meant the end part of the video about the artifacts. There are actually no artifacts, just branches that are on the tree.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
nice, but it would be much more power efficient and powerful with core next architecture instead of VLIW4.

Can't wait for 28nm version with Core next graphics!!!

G

I hate AMD's closed door demos. I remember their bulldozer demo which showed that a bulldozer was so much faster and smoother than an i7 2600. That got everyone talking bulldozer and saying wait until that comes out, Intel is in trouble! Well... we know how that one went now don't we. I really don't like it when a company is shady in their demos. I'll take a wait and see attitude after the bulldozer flop (which is nothing close to an i7 2600 much less better).

G

At least amd maitains their own graphics drivers while Intel's Hd graphics on toshiba computers is customizied by toshiba and never updated! Try going to the intel website and updating your openGL graphics drivers, Intel will tell you that OEM customized openGL drivers can not be updated! Try using
the Wings3d subdivision graphics program when you can not see any of the selected faces highlighted, because you can not update your openGL graphics drivers for a toshiba laptop with Intel HD graphics!

[citation][nom]Usen[/nom]At least amd maitains their own graphics drivers while Intel's Hd graphics on toshiba computers is customizied by toshiba and never updated! Try going to the intel website and updating your openGL graphics drivers, Intel will tell you that OEM customized openGL drivers can not be updated! Try usingthe Wings3d subdivision graphics program when you can not see any of the selected faces highlighted, because you can not update your openGL graphics drivers for a toshiba laptop with Intel HD graphics![/citation]

This happens with nVidia, AMD and Intel. I have had to reinstall OSes on so many laptops and many of them do this, its very annoying honestly.

If you hate that, stop buying Toshiba as they do that for the majority of their laptops. Buy Asus, who tends to never do this.

G

Anyone buying a computer with Intel HD graphics had better make sure that their laptop is using the Stock Intel drivers, or they may not be able to get Intel driver updates. If you want to use many of the opensource graphics software that utilizes openGL drivers, I would not buy a Toshiba laptop with Intel HD graphics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.