AMD Socket F (1207) vs Conroe ??????

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

odk0037

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I own the gigabyte, but I would personally prefer the Tyan S2895 over the Gigabyte, as they are a more reputable server board maker. Plus, I prefer boards w/o any active coolings on the NB and SB. Only reason I bought the Gigabyte was because it was cheaper and it offers 2 ATA connections instead of just 1. I don't know much about the supermicro because it came out much later.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I'm most likely going to post about the supermicro mobo. I was very happy with tyan and wasn't planning on replacing the board, but stranger things have happened.

I wish it supported raid 5, but I guess u can't have everything. It has 8 sata ports. For home use, I doubt I'll notice that much difference since i rarely move anything larger than 2 gigs at a time.

the s2895 is a nice looking board, and I would have bought that, but the price wasn't there as well as I still would have had to buy the 30 dollar sata raid card to make my old configuration work. The s2885 was also an impressive board (although it only has AGP).

I'll let u guys know how well it runs (with bios updates and the whole 9 yards).

arafay1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Get Conroe. it offers much more especially with games. AMD is becomming history now day by day until it launches 4x4

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I found a pci card that has the same chip (sil3114) as the old mobo I had. So,the drivers will work and I can just plug and play or at least make it work so I don't have to lose all my data?

Given that it uses the same chip, there is a reasonable chance that it will work but I would not consider it guaranteed.

If all you want to do is move your data (no Windows and no applications) from the old system to the new one, a simple way to do it is to network both system and simply copy from one to the other.

If you want to move everything, including Windows and programs, it is a bit more complicated but it certainly can be done. If this is what you need to do, ask and I'll post the steps.

HTH.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I found a pci card that has the same chip (sil3114) as the old mobo I had. So,the drivers will work and I can just plug and play or at least make it work so I don't have to lose all my data?

Given that it uses the same chip, there is a reasonable chance that it will work but I would not consider it guaranteed.

If all you want to do is move your data (no Windows and no applications) from the old system to the new one, a simple way to do it is to network both system and simply copy from one to the other.

If you want to move everything, including Windows and programs, it is a bit more complicated but it certainly can be done. If this is what you need to do, ask and I'll post the steps.

HTH.

Being a n00b (at least for this kinda stuff) is no fun. A friend of mine mentioned it. As long as I can keep my data, reinstalling winblows server is no biggie at all.

Although it will most likely work, would you mind posting it just incase? Even if I don't need to use it, its always good to know another way to back your stuff up.

I'd appreciate the help.

I will keep you guys posted on if the SiL3114 card works with the same drivers. I'm hoping it'll just be plug and play and It'll just boot right up.

Thanks.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Although it will most likely work, would you mind posting it just incase? Even if I don't need to use it, its always good to know another way to back your stuff up.

I'd appreciate the help.

I will keep you guys posted on if the SiL3114 card works with the same drivers. I'm hoping it'll just be plug and play and It'll just boot right up.

Thanks.

The simplest way is this,

1. Get the SiL3114 based card (if you don't already have it)

2. Install the SiL3114 card in your OLD system

3. Boot your old system into Windows

4. Install all of the necessary drivers to make the SiL3114 based card operate properly in your OLD system.

- The above steps prepare you for taking your RAIDed drives to the new system.

5. Shut down your old system, remove the SiL3114 based card and the hard drives from the old system.

6. Install the SiL3114 based card in the new system

7. Connect your RAIDed drives to the SiL3114 based card

8. Ensure that the BIOS of the new machine is setup properly to boot from the RAID card.

9. Let the system boot from the RAID array and keep your fingers crossed.

The above steps would definitely work IF the original RAID array had been created by the SiL3114 based card that you are now purchasing. Since the array was not created by the card, there is a chance that even though it uses the same chipset as present on the motherboard it may not work. However, the odds are reasonably good it will work and because of this it is worth giving it a shot.

Good luck!

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Thats the problem, I can't get into windows. :roll:

I guess I should have made that clear, lol.

I guess I'll just install the new card on the system. If I can't boot from it (setting the bios up right), i'll put another HDD on it, install winblows and then the load the drivers. Then windows would be able to see the the orginal drives (I hope).

Thats all I can come up with.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
i'll put another HDD on it, install winblows and then the load the drivers. Then windows would be able to see the the orginal drives (I hope).

Thats all I can come up with.

That's a good idea. Hopefully it will work for you.