AMD Teases Vega Architecture: More Than 200+ New Features, Ready First Half Of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bet it performs <= 1080 meaning Nvidia makes much more efficient GPUs, GPU which overclocked to 2025Mhz with evga air type cooler doesn't go over 62C. I would not be surprised if Nvidia releases 1080ti to spoil it for AMD. Regardless of this, it is good we are getting competition CPU/GPU market, now let's make everyone lower their prices.

bloodroses

Distinguished

I'm guessing you didn't read the end of the article:
"Although much of what Koduri presented requires development effort on the software side to utilize, he still wrapped his slide deck with a demo of Doom running at 4K under its most taxing detail settings on an early Vega board in the 70+ FPS range. Based on the numbers we were seeing in our Titan X review, that’s somewhere in between a GTX 1080 and Titan X.
As AMD's driver team gets its feet wet with Vega, we expect to see those performance numbers increase."

So figure between 1080 and titan performance. It's the same thing that happened last generation until Nvidia dropped the 980ti bomb to spoil the parade on AMD's Fury X. I bet a lot of Titan owners were furious when that happened as well. The 1080ti more than likely will be the same way.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I very much doubt that. AMDs main issue in the past years was drivers and efficiency both of which they finally seem to get better at.

when it comes to silicon amd actually always did have very powerful gpus sitting around but they took ages to get the drivers right. that's why they are perceived slower by so many people who just read one of those reviews that keep on showing the performance data from launch day. NVidia does a much better job getting performance right out of the gate (especially with dx11), amds driver team seems to be drunk half the time and needs about 6-9 months to actually get decent drivers done (at least this was the case for the last few years, can't check now as I do not have an amd card at the moment).

if you look up reviews of cards that actually retest the performance repeatedly, the amd cards usually catch up or even surpass the NVidia counterparts in time but at that point no one notices anymore and so the mindshare is firmly with NVidia being faster.

when it comes to efficiency amd finally made some progress with the rx4xx cards. they are not equal yet but they are close enough to NVidia again. if vega is as efficient or an upgrade to the rx4xx series power draw is a non-argument for either side.

NVidia on the other hand seems to have issues getting any substantial gains out of DX12 compared to DX11. since their driver team is superb in my experience this seems to be a design limitation in the chip, so unless they revamp pascal or come up with something completely new within the next 6 months amd has more than a small chance to beat the 1080(ti) with vega if it pans out half as good as the leaks suggest at the moment.

And yes, I too am looking forward very much to an actual alternative to overpriced NVidia highend cards - amd being competitive in high end again will bring down the ridiculous prices quite a bit if nothing else and that is a very good thing.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
At least Ryzen had a hand picked benchmark. But in the case of Vega we have a video with a drummer using one drumstick telling us to "join the revolution". The overhyped followup today is tons of new ambiguous, pseudo-scientific, terms. I really had been thinking of my next build going Ryzen/Vega. I'm having second thoughts now.

fynxer

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
VEGA in Q2 is to late. nVidia cancelled 1080Ti and will now steam full speed ahead to release VOLTA just in time to overshadow VEGAs arrival to market. Once again AMDs drags its feet, if they where to release VEGA in January they would have been ahead with a fighting chance but now they will give nVidia just the amount of time it needs to counter VEGA in full force with VOLTA in Q2.

We can expect Vega flag ship to be as strong as the 1080 TI, it's going to be released at about the same time so price will be important.

However, the 1080 GTX is a bad card design and I don't believe the TI is going to be any better. It's the first time in my life that a card literally explode in front of me. Nvidia, the way it meant to be... sure...

Zareek

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
5/1/17 is too late! AMD is massively missing their release target dates. Let's hope they don't miss their performance targets too!

kwc813

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
It's only logical putting your fastest memory next to the GPU/CPU. It's always been a given that potential speed increases are derived from the capacity of the data bus. What I see here is an attempt to address throughput, and THAT'S exciting...almost as exciting as seeing a valid competitor even challenge Nvidia in performance at the only race most people know anything about..FPS.

What AMD is doing can only benefit the consumer in general, NOT just the gamer. When you get into talking publicly about peta-scale data movement place to place then you're serious...might be time to invest in AMD/Radeon stock if they get their heads out quick enough this time!!! Even if they don't everyone knows there's effort being made, and you've always gotta be smarter coming from behind than you have to be when you're number 1. This could be fun!

hannibal

Distinguished
AMD seems to be closing down the Nvidia effiency headstart. They seems to be starting using same kind of tile based rendering that was introduces in Maxwell and refined in 1xxx series.

From Anandtech:
"As we have almost no detail on how AMD or NVIDIA are doing tiling and binning, it’s impossible to say with any degree of certainty just how close their implementations are, so I’ll refrain from any speculation on which might be better. But I’m not going to be too surprised if in the future we find out both implementations are quite similar. The important thing to take away from this right now is that AMD is following a very similar path to where we think NVIDIA captured some of their greatest efficiency gains on Maxwell, and that in turn bodes well for Vega."

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Vega looking good, and with Volta coming out next year, it will have some time on the market as well. Will be interesting to see if Pascal refresh is enough to keep nVidia in the lead. If the 4x efficiency number is relative to the same architecture as the 2.5x for Polaris, then AMD should be at least on an equal footing on perf / watt as nVidia.

I'm cool with that as long as they price it right. I just want something to go along with my freesync monitor.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
yeah they were bound to update their GPU / CPU since they did some custom work for Sony, problem is on the PC side your amazing CPU is worth nothing without compiler optimization and GPU is worth even less with garbage drivers from these people !

i'll skip AMD CPU / GPU forever ! unless they are 30$ like my A1 I got for small server at home

Calamari

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Wow, another BS pie in the sky set of dreams of what another AMD part MIGHT look like if it EVER finishes baking...

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Seriously annoyed with AMD. It is so very hard to be a fan and supporter of this company. I am very excited for what they are doing, but their marketing team is selling massive disappointments.

Why did they create a countdown page to show us 4, 2 minute videos. One of which was a making of video of their weird drummer boy video. How on earth was the teaser video at all related to the info released?

The sort of info AMD released should have been given months ago. MONTHS. CES and this spot should have been for the announcement of the cards themselves along with pricing and availability. AMD taking a full year to release a competitor to a year old card is a serious disappointment. I really hope this all pans out, because my confidence in AMD and their teams is hurting after that sad display of disappointing hype train.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Pfft. My Kyro cards were using TBR before it was cool. TBDR, to be precise.

because their DX11 drivers already pretty much tap everything the card has to offer. async is mainly AMD thing. they have ACE hardware since the very first generation of GCN. but they cannot use them with DX11 because such feature are not included in direct x spec. so they push mantle and push MS towards low level API so they can include the feature needed to use their ACE. and ultimately DX12 is much more complicated than DX11. more optimization are in game developer hands so game developer in one way have to beat gpu maker optimization which is no easy task when you consider nvidia/amd engineer still are the one know the best about their hardware.

why people expect vega to compete with volta when they still need to beat pascal GTX1080/1080ti first?

Ermmmm no, CES was what New Horizons was for Ryzen, the first product showcase AMD did not expressly say they were releasing the product on 5 January, stop getting bent out of shape about your own misunderstandings.

That is probably what Vega is for, Navi to compete with Volta but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.