AMD Threadripper: Unboxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
That's some awfully convoluted packaging, wonder how much it adds to the cost and how much of the target audience actually cares about it. If I was buying a workstation-class CPU, it would be to get work done, not gawk at its retail packaging.

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
@InvalidError

I wouldn't say Threadripper is aimed at workstations. It might prove itself to be great in one, but it's clearly a HEDT product. Bells and whistles are an integral part of HEDT.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yawn......

G

If i was to buy a new CPU, for me would be 8/16 version of Thread Ripper. A perfect CPU from Price/Performance point of view. What i like about it is 64 PCIe. AMD really did great here when Intel said that extra PCIe is not worth it, AMD went Opposite. 64 PCIe --> so many possibilities.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Small teaser for you guys:

Cool head:
20507402_1692225727478751_4429291528989151920_o.jpg

Let's chilling a bit...
20506936_1692251717476152_4317321265459464833_o.jpg

Randall_Lind

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
I watch Paul Hardware the other day pretty need how you install it. it slip it in like a cpu holder then the holder comes down and screws in. You don't touch the socket itself.

G

On the other hand this is the worst packaging ever and even worse installation process. So many things can go wrong and i can see lot of people breaking socket on motherboard.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Wait better for a right AiO with a compatible, bigger heatsink or build a custom water cooling (it is really easy). This AiO is a toy, but it has RGB. Yeah... :D

I can't spoiler anything, but this piece is soldered. Unlock the power limit and you will be satisfied. But for this you need a real cooling, not such a christmas tree. ;)

Wrong. Never was a LGA so easy to handle. It is much easier to handle than LGA 2066. It is idiot-proof. You don't know, how many damaged Intel boards I saw in my friends shop.... Customers are hardware killers :D

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

You're capable of saying positive things; I've seen it. Maybe you could try to do that a bit more often?

Just curious: What number was the CPU in your acrylic/glass paperweight?

I wonder if they sent the #2 part to Krzanich. Based on all of the other jabs designed into this packaging, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Really? Because those 64 are shared beyond just the x16 PCIe slots. In fact the board Toms has is only setup to do x16/x8/x16/x8 unless you plan to use the U.2 slot which shares PCIe with the PCIe_x8/X4_4. If you use that slot U.2 is disabled. If you use U.2 then that slot is disabled.

In all you get 48 total PCIe lanes from the CPU just to GPU if you plan to, for some reason, do Quad SLI/CFX. Most boards will probably be built in this same manner since this is geared towards tackling Intels HEDT market and not the mainstream market.

I am not sure where the other 16 from the CPU go, possibly storage and the NIC but wont know until more specs are released. However you can go to Asus website and read the manual for that board right now. I wouldn't be surprised if those other 16 are being used for other means.

This actually brings it closer to being similar to X299, especially if you consider that the CPU and Chipset have their own PCIe 3.0 lanes.

I am more interested in power, temps and clock speeds. It is after all a 180W TDP CPU.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That can't be DHL. The packages arrived mostly intact. Your clever photoshop efforts are unravelling!

Open: Three, two, one.
Close: One, two, three.

You know how to mop?

Status
Not open for further replies.