AMD to stop making x86: Bad?

I was shocked to hear that AMD will stop making the XP and AMD64 lines
of chips from Q1 next year and only concentrate on making the Opteron
server chips.

Do you think Opterons will become cheap enough to compete with Pentiums
in desktop machines, or will Intel now have the desktop market all to
itself?

Barry.

somebody

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:44:04 +0200, BarryNL <barry@nospam.nl> wrote:

>I was shocked to hear that AMD will stop making the XP and AMD64 lines
>of chips from Q1 next year and only concentrate on making the Opteron
>server chips.
>
>Do you think Opterons will become cheap enough to compete with Pentiums
>in desktop machines, or will Intel now have the desktop market all to
>itself?
>
>Barry.

First day of April...

ancra

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:30:32 -0500, Dave C. wrote:

> "BarryNL" <barry@nospam.nl> wrote in message
>> I was shocked to hear that AMD will stop making the XP and AMD64 lines
>> of chips from Q1 next year and only concentrate on making the Opteron
>> server chips.
>
> AMD would be shocked to hear that, also. -Dave
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

x86 chips are 48% of AMD sales. Sure, they will stop making them. The
poster is obviously short the stock, and is in a panic because a brokerage
house has set a target price of $25.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

somebody@some.domain wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:44:04 +0200, BarryNL <barry@nospam.nl> wrote:
>

>>I was shocked to hear that AMD will stop making the XP and AMD64 lines
>>of chips from Q1 next year and only concentrate on making the Opteron
>>server chips.
>>
>>Do you think Opterons will become cheap enough to compete with Pentiums
>>in desktop machines, or will Intel now have the desktop market all to
>>itself?
>>
>>Barry.
>

> First day of April...

Yeah - should have put more effort in - didn't seem to get too many
bites :)