AMD Unleashes Piledriver Based FX-4130 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
wishing all the good to AMD, except to their decisions of dropping out of the desktop cpu race...
Steamroller for 2013, and some 50-75% IPC per core increase... one can dream, no?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
lol I was expecting a $120 cpu. $101 msrp is pretty good for this cpu. but the naming scheme is too confusing in this case.

fx4100 = bulldozer
fx4130 = piledriver
fx4170 = bulldozer

is the name a typo in the article?

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]lol I was expecting a $120 cpu. $101 msrp is pretty good for this cpu. but the naming scheme is too confusing in this case. fx4100 = bulldozerfx4130 = piledriverfx4170 = bulldozeris the name a typo in the article?[/citation]
It seems that piledriver has 3s in the name and bulldozer doesn't: 8350, 8320, 6300, 4130, etc.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]wishing all the good to AMD, except to their decisions of dropping out of the desktop cpu race...Steamroller for 2013, and some 50-75% IPC per core increase... one can dream, no?[/citation]
the cpu race is apparently over. look at how much the gpu can support the cpu in many tasks that use to be the benchmark of a good cpu. on the consumer end, lets say if we had full hardware acceleration, would we need a powerful cpu or would we need a better gpu? because the way i see it, the cpus are good enough for consumer use, we dont need that constant upgrade anymore, and anything like rendering a video or such, that can be offloaded to the gpu to do it faster than the cpu ever could.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I dont see any confusion with the naming. x3xx is piledriver, x1xx is bulldozer.

The price is right though at 100.00. The only problem is that 125w is a lot of power for a chip that basically competes with a dual core i3 at I believe 66 watts. What I dont really understand is how this can have the same TDP as the 8 core 8350 which is even clocked higher.

.I also dont think it is 22% faster than the i3 except in selective highly multithreaded workloads. If it was 22% faster overall, I doubt they would be pricing it so much lower than the i3. But overall not a bad buy if the power consumption doesnt bother you.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm confident the PCs and CPUs are alive and well.
I think we will start seeing huge gains again because of the next-gen consoles (using AMD APUs).
The consoles will FINALLY force the publishers (and general managers) to give developers sufficient resources to write in 64bits, multi-core, and heterogeneous computing.
Then FINALLY everyone will be using software that's true 64bit, using multi-core, and heterogeneous computing. The 32bit, single core, DX9 world must give way.
(my 2 cents worth)

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]frozentundra123456[/nom]I dont see any confusion with the naming. x3xx is piledriver, x1xx is bulldozer. [/citation]

Except that in this case it's 4130 or by your example xx3x. If it was 4310 then sure it would have clearer.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]on the consumer end, lets say if we had full hardware acceleration, would we need a powerful cpu or would we need a better gpu?[/citation]
Even the most powerful GPU setup on Earth still suck at intrinsically serial tasks and writing single/lightly threaded stuff is much easier/faster/cheaper than writing proper multi-threaded code so desire for higher single-thread performance is going to be around for the foreseeable future, albeit as a secondary objective.

This CPU looks interesting, perhaps something to "mess with," but not really a significant performance upgrade over a Phenom II X4 970BE. I'm hoping that Steamroller will be more worthwhile.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Waiting for Steamroller. Until single threaded performance is at least 15% better than my 1090T I'm not planning on any upgrades.

On the other hand I may have to upgrade my lappy if they go with Steamroller + GCN APUs

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Even the most powerful GPU setup on Earth still suck at intrinsically serial tasks and writing single/lightly threaded stuff is much easier/faster/cheaper than writing proper multi-threaded code so desire for higher single-thread performance is going to be around for the foreseeable future, albeit as a secondary objective.[/citation]
i know that the gpu cant do everything, but thats my point, if what could be offloaded to it was, how much would that free up the cpu, how much more could we get out of it, and to that extent, how much would we still need even better cpu? i know its no where near what it was in the p4 and earlier days. hell if my computer isn't lying to me, my phenom II 955 black and amd radeon 5770 1gb can handle playback of 4k video.

what pushed me from a p2 to a p4 was partially a dvd player, and mostly mkv support (mp4 h.246, whatever) and what pushed me to a quad core was 720p video being unplayable half the time on my p4 and my motherboard died. but now i don't have that media push... image editors i use don't preform like a bag of... you can finish that thought. even video games that are developed for the pc can pull reasonable frame rates and are capped by my video card more than my cpu.

we hit an area where we no longer always could use or need a better cpu, and what use to drive cpu sales, rendering, can be offloaded to the gpu and get spit back out done faster almost any cpu could do it.

i see a stonger reliance on gpus, especially when opencl is widely adopted.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Is this Vishera? The naming doesn't line up and newegg has it listed as Zambezi. Not to mention that Wolfgang wrote about this last August before Vishera was released.

I am confused.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Damn it people, already!
TDP =/= Power Consumption

Its just an indicator of how much power it COULD and it is designed to tolerate.

Other than that, I dont know why AMD keeps releasing 6-core CPUs
I loved their 4core APUs, and the bulldozer 4 core did quite good compared with the 6cores.
IMHO there is no need for 6 cores, make it either 4 or 8.
And therefore, the cpu from the review gets all my love, I know for a fact that their 4-cores work wonders for the price, and unlocked, jeez

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

And you're bringing this up because...?

I'd say there's a good need. Where I'm from, the FX-6100 and FX-6300 are great value for money and I regularly recommend them over similarly-priced Intel chips. I don't know how things are over in the US, but in South Africa the closest competition for the FX-6100 is the Core i3-3225. The FX-6300 has no competition - the Core i5-3450 is at least $25 more expensive.

Also, AMD has to sell those chips and make use of all those wafers it ordered! I'm actually glad they dropped the triple-core families, made everything much more complicated for consumers and that extra core didn't always benefit you.

larkspur

Distinguished
Thank you for the update Niels - the completely asinine naming scheme alone was driving me nuts. Didn't make any sense that this was Vishera. I also noticed all the other tech sites were duped by the 'typo' as well, but you're the first I've seen with the truth about this BD part (except Newegg of course!).

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Damn it people, already!TDP =/= Power ConsumptionIts just an indicator of how much power it COULD and it is designed to tolerate.Other than that, I dont know why AMD keeps releasing 6-core CPUsI loved their 4core APUs, and the bulldozer 4 core did quite good compared with the 6cores.IMHO there is no need for 6 cores, make it either 4 or 8.And therefore, the cpu from the review gets all my love, I know for a fact that their 4-cores work wonders for the price, and unlocked, jeez[/citation]

You have probably never worked with high end video apps like Vegas or Avid. More cores are great for rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.