AMD Unleashes The Radeon VII, World's First 7nm Gaming GPU

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I know we need to wait for official tech-reviews and benchmarks but it seems this is an RTX 2080 with no ray tracing, but priced the same as an RTX 2080... That basically means this is a GTX 1080Ti with too much overly expensive VRAM. The GTX 1080Ti was $700 over 2 years ago, but they want to sell the Vega VII for $700 too? Maybe they are counting on another crypto-craze? I'm confused!!

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Are they planning an 8 GB gaming version? 16GB of HBM2 is a horrendous waste of money for gaming. The only gamers this is going to appeal to is people who refuse to buy anything but AMD. Otherwise there is nothing interesting about this card as it doesn't move the needle anywhere.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Welp, I had such high hopes for this one. It's great for content creation but not really for gaming. Hopefully they come out with one that has a better price/performance that appeals to the masses.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the power consumption comes down, this is definitely more interesting... but it seems implied that the power consumption is the same as the Vega 64. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

In any case, given the FE RTX 2080 is $799, the $100 price undercut works. Board partners have a few models of the RTX 2080 (as of today) in the $670-700 range. It's not clear to me if board partners are going to charge less than $699 for the Vega VII, but hopefully so.

Curious as well to see if there are soon to be lower models (less than 16GB memory, slower clock speeds, or fewer ROPs/Shaders/Texture Units)... gotta do something with the ones that aren't 100% flawless, I imagine.

It doesn't make me jump for joy, but it's not bad, either, unless the power consumption is at Vega 64 levels. THAT, to me, would be disappointing.

Still... I wonder if Nvidia knew something ahead of time, prompting them to start supporting Adaptive Refresh in their drivers for non-GSync monitors with the upcoming Jan 15 drivers.

GoatGuy

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
At 1,000 GB/s memory bandwidth, with 4096 bits width, the clock has to be 1,956 MHz. ... the power of calculators ...

wwaaacs5

Commendable
Oct 19, 2018
still gotta know more before i write this 1 off, mostly what its power consumption are heat is. i think i view this more of AMD catching up, which it seems they did. ya same price point as the 2080s but does it use the same power consumption, and how hot does it run. if it runs very cool, and at lower power consumption, we will see the cheaper down scaled version of this card preform well. i don't much care for ray tracing over higher resolution and frames. so very interested to see what settings they where using when comparing it to the 2080, im sure if it could keep pace with 2080 with ray tracing on, they would of said that, so don't think thats the case. the 3 free games are a nice bump in favor of AMD, def seems a better pre-order judgment then the rtx 2000s card where since they did not even have ray tracing for 2 or 3 months?? and then it worked so poorly. in ray tracing in general it make me wonder if it just cant be done with a second possessing card in a system rather then on the same board. that be interesting but problematic on the CPU side of things

Jan 9, 2019
Henry W, yes you can 60+ 1080p with rtx on in BF5, your a little behind on drivers they increased the RTX performance a while ago.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I had an opinion I wanted to share but KING_V nailed it already.

That summarizes it. Well said.

mattcrwi

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
The best part about this is price competition at the high end. I just needs to be close to a 2080 to bring prices down.

la20fo09

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
Seems nice so far, but not as good as the Navi Leaks. I wonder if it would be worth to have a Virtual Link Port, as it might be used in the next Gen of VR Headsets, not to talk about USB-C Monitors becoming more popular.

Considering that if you take the benchmarks around and compare to Vega 64 then add 30% to Vega 64 Vega VII still comes in under the RTX 2080 FE by about 11% average (I averaged all of Anandtechs benchmarks for 4K gaming comparing Vega 64 and the RTX 2080).

I didn't check the non FE cards which you can get for $699 but I would assume they are either close to or slightly ahead of the predicted performance gains Vega VII have.

To me what will matter are drivers. They are still not on par with nVdiia on drivers, software and developer work, in my opinion, although better than they were a few years ago with drivers.

Available February 7th for $699...
The graphics card is expected to cost around $699.
So, is it $699, or "expected to cost around $699"? I do suspect the card will be rather expensive due to all that HBM2 VRAM though. It seems to be geared more for professional tasks than gaming, and appears to be pretty much a consumer version of the Radeon Instinct MI50, with display connections and slightly higher boost clocks. Even at 4K, I doubt you would encounter many gaming scenarios where the card would be utilizing more than half of that VRAM anytime soon.

Considering that some RTX 2080s can be found for around their $699 MSRP now, it might be a hard sell for gaming at about the same price. Then again, maybe its not actually going to be $699, since the writer of the article didn't seem so sure. Or maybe we'll soon hear about a pared down version with half the HBM2 at a more competitive price.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Why is it using this "HBM" tech again? is it actually gonna help its benchmark/real world performance scores? I'm not complaining about the price but the type of memory they are using since its again gonna be pretty much kicked by a GDDR6 type of memory

TRENDING THREADS