AMD: We Turn Bad PCs into Super PCs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well it seems like I need a AMD CPU just to get it running it doesn't care that I have a AMD/ATI videocard. I wonder if this means it won't work with a AMD CPU and a Nvidia videocard... If they expect people to go 100% AMD products and for this software to become popular than they are out of their minds.

nezuko

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
LOL, just the word fusion means you must use all AMD brand in order to use this software, and read those sentence: Fusion is a new brand campaign that AMD hopes to promote a combination of technologies, both with CPU, GPU and software tools. Means that if you want to use Fusion then you should use CPU from AMD, GPU from AMD, and Software from AMD, in this case the software is Fusion Driver Utility itself.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nezuko[/nom]LOL, just the word fusion means you must use all AMD brand in order to use this software, and read those sentence: Fusion is a new brand campaign that AMD hopes to promote a combination of technologies, both with CPU, GPU and software tools. Means that if you want to use Fusion then you should use CPU from AMD, GPU from AMD, and Software from AMD, in this case the software is Fusion Driver Utility itself.[/citation]

Well I certainly didn't expect it to alter my CPU performance in any form of way but the whatever its not like I need the software anyways. Clearly anyone dumb enough to buy a AMD CPU is though :p (thats a joke)

G

I think it's cool for those who don't care about OC'ing or those who don't know how. It doesn't really bother me that it only does it's stuff with AMD CPUs and GPUs... They should have to test and develope for the competition. It seems like a brand-loyalty feature. You don't have to use this software to get the end result, but it's a little benefit for purchasing AMD/ATI hardware. I, for one, am just glad to see AMD trying to push outward in so many areas. They haven't been able to keep up with intel's performance-per-clock since the unveiling of the core-2-duos, so they're trying to make up for it in other ways in the meantime. I think they're on the right track. Keep up the innovation AMD.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Frankly, the background programs that it disables just run off spare cores in a quad anyway. Does this have anything to do with AMD not having good quad cpus?

kidswithguns

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
The AMD Phenom X4 9550 Black Edition processor used as part of the demo went from a stock 2.6 GHz to 2.8 GHz, which is a conservative and safe measure for mainstream users. Those wanting to go a bit more hardcore can set more aggressive settings.

There is an Phenom 9550 BLACK EDITION @ 2.6GHz?

GlItCh017

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kidswithguns[/nom][/citation]
I think they mean 9950 but one number can make such a difference...Oh TH you so silly!

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I guess if you can't make a good enough CPU, you can always put a script together in order to turn off background services and call it an application.... Wait a minute... it's not even a real application... I wonder how long it's going to take until someone posts a similar tool to do this with all PC's since this has ABSOLUTLY nothing to do with the hardware inside the PC. This must be so embarrassing for the hardware engineers at AMD.

G

OK. HAVE ANYONE OF YOU TRIED IT?
IT'S PRETTY COOL. lET'S SAY YOU HAVE A BRANDED LAPTOP WITH INTEGRATED ATI X 1XXX(250 OR 300 OR WHATEVER). There is almost no possibility to overclock it whatsover. Even for gurus the crash will happen.
On the other hand press that fusion button and see what happens.
It's pretty OK.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I guess If you can't make a good CPU's then just write an application in 1/2 hr to turn off services and call it revolutionary. This must be a bit embarrassing for the AMD hardware engineers that they have nothing to show and this is all that the company can come up with.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]anonymous5[/nom]OK. HAVE ANYONE OF YOU TRIED IT?IT'S PRETTY COOL. lET'S SAY YOU HAVE A BRANDED LAPTOP WITH INTEGRATED ATI X 1XXX(250 OR 300 OR WHATEVER). There is almost no possibility to overclock it whatsover. Even for gurus the crash will happen.On the other hand press that fusion button and see what happens.It's pretty OK.[/citation]
I wouldn't know.. I have a C2D Laptop and because of this fact I don't have to turn the background services off to get a good performance. :)

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
You don't have to brag about it C2D guy. It's just an application for the new brand 'Fusion' . just wait until the real thing comes out. I guess AMD fanboys will have the last laugh then.

G

Remember the AMD rhetoric several years ago about AMD being all about choice as they railed on Intel for their platform/bundling approach?

Now I'm not saying AMD should be responsible for validating the software on all platforms (why should they be) - but I'm curious if the software has hooks which prevents it from operating with non AMD hardware (like an Nvidia card).

AMD has every right to do this - but just don't preach to me about enabling the ecosystem and enabling choice anymore.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
i can get XP down to 12-13 processes at best for my gaming PC. Vista down to about 23-24, and thats on an HTPC. if i was to put vista on the gaming PC then i'm sure i can it down to about 20. can fusion do better? maybe, i need test that.

this fusion software sounds like a good idea but i still what to see the fusion processor.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I personally like it. I don't use my machine fully as a Gaming PC so its nice to turn all that worthless crap off when I am in a game, then turn it back on when I am off without doing anything too complicated. Plus its free and not some $29.99 type deal. It not like many of us go AMD for Quad Core anyway right now, we go with them for the cheapness of the Dual Cores, so having something that frees performance can be nice.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I like the idea of it turning off all the unneeded background programs. Not that I don't know how, but for one, it can be somewhat of a pain, and 2, I don't always know what should be left running in Vista. Especially if I can just activate it and deactivate it whenever. Of course I will expect some issues with the first version or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.