[SOLVED] Amd wraith prism RGB and USB connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis84i

Commendable
Apr 20, 2019
I have an AMD wraith prism cooler paired with an Asus ROG Strix x370-f motherboard. I am trying to connect the USB and RGB cables from the cooler to the motherboard, however, I couldn't find where these plugin on the motherboard and was hoping for some help.

Thanks!

Solution
The lights in the Wraith Prism cooler system are of the more advanced Addressable RGB type. Your mobo, however, has only the plain RGB type of header. So that can power and control plain RGB lights IF you install and use the ASUS Aura Sync software tool and then connect the Wraith's RGB cable to the mobo plain RGB header.

BUT you will get much better control and more complex lighting displays if you do it the recommended way. That is, you do NOT connect that RGB cable to anything and you do NOT install the Aura Sync tool unless you have other plain RGB lighting systems to connect to the mobo RGB header. Instead, you must install the special cable that came with the Wraith system between its USB socket and a mobo USB2 header. Then you...

mtracy1991

Reputable
I have an AMD wraith prism cooler paired with an Asus ROG Strix x370-f motherboard. I am trying to connect the USB and RGB cables from the cooler to the motherboard, however, I couldn't find where these plugin on the motherboard and was hoping for some help.

Thanks!

Open up your MOBO manual, there should be pins illustrating where to connect the RGB cables. However, I have the same cooler and am confused with what USB exists... I only have the pin connector.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The lights in the Wraith Prism cooler system are of the more advanced Addressable RGB type. Your mobo, however, has only the plain RGB type of header. So that can power and control plain RGB lights IF you install and use the ASUS Aura Sync software tool and then connect the Wraith's RGB cable to the mobo plain RGB header.

BUT you will get much better control and more complex lighting displays if you do it the recommended way. That is, you do NOT connect that RGB cable to anything and you do NOT install the Aura Sync tool unless you have other plain RGB lighting systems to connect to the mobo RGB header. Instead, you must install the special cable that came with the Wraith system between its USB socket and a mobo USB2 header. Then you must download and install the ADDR RGB control utility from Cooler Master - the link to that is included in the AMD web page on these coolers here

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution

just above half way down. The USB connection provides power and control of the lighting devices in the Wraith cooler. From what I read in several discussion threads on web sites, you can not connect both the RGB and USB cables in this system. If you do, they "fight" each other and the RGB system tries to dominate.

Reactions: Louis84i
Solution

juliandrousseau

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

BUT you will get much better control and more complex lighting displays if you do it the recommended way. That is, you do NOT connect that RGB cable to anything and you do NOT install the Aura Sync tool unless you have other plain RGB lighting systems to connect to the mobo RGB header. Instead, you must install the special cable that came with the Wraith system between its USB socket and a mobo USB2 header. Then you must download and install the ADDR RGB control utility from Cooler Master - the link to that is included in the AMD web page on these coolers here

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution

just above half way down. The USB connection provides power and control of the lighting devices in the Wraith cooler. From what I read in several discussion threads on web sites, you can not connect both the RGB and USB cables in this system. If you do, they "fight" each other and the RGB system tries to dominate.

So I've connected my cooler via the USB 2.0 wire provided in the box with the cooler and cpu.....I've downloaded the suggested software....and it still says to "connect coolermaster device" help!!!

juliandrousseau

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
What "it" - that is, what software utility - is telling you to connect a Cooler Master device? Is it the Wraith Prizm utility from the Cooler Master site, or is it the utility that came with your mobo? Or something else?

yes the coolermaster software is still saying to connect a coolermaster device.....its is the program from the post i quoted above in my previous post...its from the amd website

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Try going into Control Panel ... System ... Hardware ... Device Manager. Look for something with a Wraith Prizm or AMD something name. Of not there, look at all the USB-connected devices. If you find it, ensure there is a valid device Driver installed, or re-install it. If you cannot find any such device, use the menu tabs at the top to find the tool to re-scan for new devices and see if it can find your wraith system and install the proper driver for it. Then maybe the software can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.