AMD: Xbox 720 to Have Avatar-level Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
While this doesn't seem out of reach at all, considering the video chipsets out right now, and what is can still come, there is just something about this article......I can't put my finger on it........

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Was the recent Unreal engine demo that required Tri-SLI GTX580's even Avatar quality? I can't imagine the new Xbox having that much graphics horsepower if it's coming out within the next two years unless it's going to cost more than the PS3 did at launch. I'd be impressed if it had more horsepower than a single GTX580 if it launches by holiday 2012 at $400 or less.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
What...?
There are NO games that have come out or are coming out in the near future (next year) with graphics that would even compare to Avatar's CGI.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
So they are going to put a dx11 card in the new console. Where's the surprise here? It was announced by lord iD himself John Carmack that pc's were a generation ahead of consoles earlier this year or late last year.

What I find surprising is that they claim it will do avatar level of graphics... did they mean avatar the pc game? cause Im pretty sure that the avatar cgi was done on huge server farms not a console the size of a laptop. They are also claiming it will do physics... so are we now to be forced into choosing bullet or physx based on the game we buy? Way to get the kids hopes up AMD.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Yeah..... right.....

It took more than a months on a big server farm to render avatar.
It's going to be at least a decade before consumer decices can render that sort of graphics in real time.

commandersozo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
@Yargnit: Consoles are always better at utilizing the full potential of their hardware, thus Avatar level graphics might not be out of reach for the next Xbox.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Saw this yesterday. Will say the same thing. AMD shot it self in the foot. Or even better. They took a saw and sawed off their entier legg.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

True, but your talking Crysis on a Nintendo64 level of optimization if Avatar quality graphics isn't a huge exaggeration. We're still a few years from real-time ray-tracing, which basically means their statement is impossible without any further information even needed.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
This is almost the exact same thing they said about the PS2 only replace Avatar with Toy Story. I think the PS3 comes pretty close to Toy Story level of graphics... so 2 more console generations might actually pull off Avatar type graphics in real time. Impressive.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]EDIT: AMD: Xbox 720 to Have Avatar-level Graphics (When rendering one tree...and maybe a small insect...at 800*600 resolution)[/citation]
Lets wait for the console, then we judge, shall we?

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
If this is true, then it's about time. I wonder what card it will have and what price it would be at launch.

From the sounds of it, atleast a 4870x2?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Heard this before. I'll believe it when I see it. Next gen consoles always get overhyped before they debut. Maybe if they didn't overhype them soo much before they come out and make it more realistic on what people can expect people wouldn't be disappointed.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Lets wait for the console, then we judge, shall we?[/citation]
Why? The isn't a question that it can't be done. Even if cost wasn't a factor, even if size and heat weren't factors, it would be impossible.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
It's obvious that the consoles are not going away, just the opposite. This tells me I will not be building a new gaming rig, ever and will move to a 720 or PS4 (have to compare them) instead. Cheaper anyway.
I'm pretty sure will not make the same mistake twice and put out a console with a 50+% failure rate this time but I will still wait for a good while before handing over any hard currency.

The console industry was holding DX10 back and DX11...

Sincerely, if the industry was following the PC market, this wouldn't happen.

Still, do you really thing devs are going to code individual behavior for all NPC in a game? That is just insane and totally useless...

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
The current graphics on the PS3 and xbox 360 are pretty amazing and those were released like 7 years ago? I would hope that they would be able to make a pretty big improvement on image capablities in that time, given how quickly technology improves.

Also, to another posters point, the whole game doesn't have to be Avatar quality graphics... they might focus on cut-aways or something small for now and improve the real time processing to slightly less than avatar quality cinematics.

julius 85

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]commandersozo[/nom]@Yargnit: Consoles are always better at utilizing the full potential of their hardware, thus Avatar level graphics might not be out of reach for the next Xbox.[/citation]
Could anyone tell me why would anyone in his right mind thumb this guy down?I'm getting sick of intelligent comments getting thumbed down and hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.