AMD Zen May Arrive In 2016, But Mass Availability Slated For 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
What kind of CEO fills an official statement with "should", "I believe", "I think"? That kind of uncertainty at the top will infect the whole company. It seems like Su has some serious doubts about her company's ability to execute.

SixtyFourK

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
"What kind of CEO fills an official statement with "should", "I believe", "I think"? That kind of uncertainty at the top will infect the whole company. It seems like Su has some serious doubts about her company's ability to execute."

If Lisa Su gives definite dates and then can't follow through then people will use that to spread fear that AMD can't deliver what they say. IMO Zen is going to get over hyped by fans but then that just leads to disappointment when it does come.

Kind of old info as now we know there will be 3 sockets. The 4 and 8 cores run at 2.8 with boost 3.2Ghz on AM4. A 8, 12, and 16 core on yet unnamed socket possibly backward compatible to AM4. The server gets sp3 socket with 24 cores at 2.7Ghz and 32 cores at 2.9Ghz.

Possible an October launch of 65watt quad and 95watt octa core.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

I agree about the release dates. No need to commit to a date but that 'I think' at the end is pretty awkward. You don't say 'I think' to something you have to be absolutely sure you are correct regarding licensing. Or else might get sued by Intel. Maybe she should have said 'We have our legal team working to make sure that everything is in accordancet' or something like that.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"Kind of old info as now we know there will be 3 sockets. The 4 and 8 cores run at 2.8 with boost 3.2Ghz on AM4. A 8, 12, and 16 core on yet unnamed socket possibly backward compatible to AM4. The server gets sp3 socket with 24 cores at 2.7Ghz and 32 cores at 2.9Ghz."

The clock speed ive only seen mentioned for an A0 engineering sample, usually retail chips ship faster then A0 silicone.

Id be suprised to see them ship at only 2.8ghz. (tho im sure some models will, i doubt the fastest will be close to that)

pjc6281

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Intel is already about to launch Skylakes successor and AMD for being smaller cannot move fast enough. Intel is getting faster and more efficient.... how about you AMD?

Ionlydothis

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
AMD under delivering? Say it aint so! Sure would be nice if they became competitive again but oh well. Least they have their mindlessly adoring fans....

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Sigh...by the time Zen finally gets out the door, Intel will have had months and months of time to prepare, so *if* Zen was kicking Intel's butt in performance, it probably will be eclipsed by the time it launches now.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am personally feed up with Intel and there lack luster releases lately with exceptional price tags. I be going AMD as long as it with in a few % of intel. I want newer tech then my ivy bridge can offer. The Z77 chipset is a bit long in the tooth. Unless your willing to drop 600-700 dollars to upgrade processor and motherboard your out of luck. Honestly Intels latest processors leave a lot to be desired. I am happy to see Zen releasing soon and will most likely be moving back to AMD

The clock speed ive only seen mentioned for an A0 engineering sample, usually retail chips ship faster then A0 silicone.

Id be suprised to see them ship at only 2.8ghz. (tho im sure some models will, i doubt the fastest will be close to that)
All I can tell you is these speeds were leaked to be 65 and 95watts. Without a doubt a 95 watt cpu will clock much higher but leaks give no details about overclocking or other speeds.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
AMD is shooting them self in the foot by making it so that the the Zen CPUs are only properly supported on windows 10 and up.
This till cost them any market share that users who are sticking with windows 7 will offer.

I was excited about their new CPU until I found that it would have to fully move to windows 10 to use it rather than only for DX12 content. I am essentially going to end up going with a core i7 4790K rather than the AMD zen simply because they refuse to support windows 7.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

Same here, Phenom II x6 1075t, 4GHz, I had high hopes for AMD, but it seems they are getting lazy with the software support, thus I am going to be forced over to Intel. If AMD decides to make some changes and support windows 7, then I will hold off until it is released. If not, then I will move my upgrade schedule ahead, and get a core i7 7490K

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
All of you moaning about AMD and Windows 7, stop paying attention to one sided news. It's the SAME for Intel:

Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10

And next generation processors, including Intel's Kaby Lake, won't be supported in old Windows

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/skylake-users-given-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
"Intel is already about to launch Skylakes successor and AMD for being smaller cannot move fast enough. Intel is getting faster and more efficient.... how about you AMD?"

"AMD under delivering? Say it aint so! Sure would be nice if they became competitive again but oh well. Least they have their mindlessly adoring fans...."

You being an Intel sycophant, say it ain't so! Why aren't you saying the same for Intel, because you are a sycophant for Intel:

Intel confirms tick-tock-shattering Kaby Lake processor as Moore’s Law falters

Intel has confirmed today that it will build a third generation of processors on its 14nm process, and that the switch to 10nm manufacturing has been delayed until the second half of 2017,

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/intel-confirms-tick-tock-shattering-kaby-lake-processor-as-moores-law-falters/

This isn't quite accurate, and you shouldn't blame AMD. AMD hasn't said what OSes they will support. Likely, they will continue to support Windows 7.

Redraider89 is also somewhat off.

The reason for the change in support, is that Microsoft has effectively ended support for new processors on its older operating systems. This is part of Microsoft's ongoing efforts to persuade people to upgrade to its latest and greatest platform. AMD and Intel have no say in what Microsoft does and does not support, as they offer support for their own products independently from Microsoft.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-processor-support-policy,31024.html

I agree that amd is behind intel, I agree that zen prob wont beat intel top of the line. but if amd can make a cost effect competition vs the i3 and even the i5, intel is forced to lower the prices for those cpus or lose market share to amd. If amd just keeps pressure in the middle and lower market vs intel intel still receives pressure to advance. if amd fails and stops making cpus then intel will have no competition in the x86 cpu market. So unless another instruction code because more popular then the x86 set, (mabe android and arm processors) you will have no choice but to get whatever intel makes, and pay there price. I really think if amd just keeps releasing matching mid lvl cpu amd will have a better chance vs most people who don't buy the top of line cpu every time. Just my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.