Question AMD

Yankee_LT

Reputable
Apr 21, 2021
Question. I'm building my new PC (85% gaming use) with the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D. Do you have any suggestions/ideas about using this CPU in conjunction with the Nvidia RTX 4090?

Thank you.

awake283

Great
Jun 23, 2024
Target 6000 speed for your RAM. AM5 is notoriously picky about RAM in general, and people seem to have the best luck with that. I have a 4070S with my 7800 and it's incredible, crushes anything I throw at it with games. Can only imagine how cool a 4090 would be!

Main problem I've ran into was boot issues. It just takes a while.. a long while. But sometimes it just wouldn't post. Turned out it hated my RAM. I bought a kit that was XMP optimized, and my Asus board was running it under DOCP, but it just wasn't stable. I have to admit, I didnt even know there was a difference in RAM. Returned it for an EXPO-Optimized set (G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory) and no problems.

Another small thing is you can very safely undervolt the 7800X3D. You can just set all core to -20 and forget about it. This has a fairly decent positive impact overall. I turn off PBO and some other things as they literally do absolutely nothing, or even have a negative impact on thermals (with no added performance). Good luck, sick build!