AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The roadmap I have given is the roadmap for -OEMs/integrators, and so on. The one you give is a roadmap for investors. The roadmap for investors is spare in details, because AMD want to get their money. That is why the roadmap for investors doesn't give detailed product list neither dates.

Same happened with the investors roadmaps for Zen. AMD got investors and press believing that Zen would launch in 2016. I said that Zen was a 2017 launch. And during an entire year people insulted me and called me names because I didn't buy the hype. Finally Zen was launched in 2017. I was right.

I guess the same will happen with Zen2.

Don't get your point. First you tried to convince me that Glofo is different now and 7nm will be ready in 2018. But I expect 7nm in 2019. Now you change the argument by 180º and emphasize that AMD did pay GF for getting access to other foundries, because GF has a long record on underdelivering!

Unless GF cancel the 7nm node, AMD will not make orders in other foundries. It will be cheaper for AMD to delay products rather than pay twice: one time to GF for making orders in other foundries; other time to the other foundry.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

GoFlo has brought on new talent, and I'm optimistic about their ability to perform, because it's not just the same people. It's IBM people running the show, which I think will help. AMD and IBM are both depending on GoFlo for products, which I think helps up the ante to perform. GoFlo needs to show a turn around in it's ability to deliver for it's own sake as well! AMD does have options if the deal with GoFlo doesn't go well. I think that is an important point to make considering TSMC is a viable alternative with a competitive node.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The same "IBM people" that run the IBM foundry to a total economic failure, until IBM had to give it, because couldn't support it more?

I have heard similar promises and optimistic viewpoints in the past. I do remember when Glofo, Samsung and IBM foundry founded the "Common Platform Alliance" and gave us unending tons of press releases and marketing promises

https://semiaccurate.com/2010/10/14/common-platform-alliance-key-foundry-success/

It was all hype.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

I would love to see it myself... Same as that it's just from past experience I'm afraid to get my hope's up. Although I will admit the feeling I have deep in my waters is that they are on schedule, especially with their new contract no point in poking the bear as it were... still anything can happen between now an then... Still afraid something will get in the way, hell I'm almost afraid to want it too much for fear of being let down...

But all said an done Zen+ or Zen on 14nm+ or whatever we choose to call it seem's like a clever hedge from AMD's perspective, if your a betting man it would seem like the safest bet.

I just love the way Lisa Su renegotiated the contract with GF recently giving them the ability to go elsewhere.. this was a threat in itself... GF can't simply get away with it anymore an it looks like AMD is not putting up with it anymore either (too much riding on it I guess).. so maybe GF know's this as well an they have pulled up their pants. But no matter which way you look at it it's good news.
An if they do let them down they can, an probly will go elsewhere to similar node no choice I guess.

There's big changes going on in the industry no doubt about that. We all want the same thing.
I think the market is gonna speak out an say no more.
This is why I think Epyc may do lot better than expected.

Edit: My hopes are up now damn it !! they better not be late with that shrink...

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
@goldstone

"Epyc roadmap shows the next processor is 7nm not 14+."

Thats would make sense if 14nm+ has a higher power draw. No good for Epyc.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Exactly. 14nm+ is just the same 14LPP node but optimized for higher clocks. This optimization comes at the expense of reducing efficiency at lower clocks where EPYC operates.

AMD didn't chose 14LPP because it is the best choice for gamers. AMD did because the node was optimized for clocks around the 2.5GHz, and favored EPYC servers efficiency.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
For once were in total agreement mate !! lol.. :)

It may require some separate binning but I think it could be the approach alright.

Edit: It may actually require a separate line altogether. But quite possible none the less.

jdwii

Splendid

Have to be able to do both however and Intel proves that it is possible. Global foundries needs to step it up.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I reiterate, 7nm chips tape out this year.

It seems there may be enough straws on the floor to build a scarecrow soon.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Semiconductors Are Leading To Another Tectonic Shift In Computing: Which Players Will Be Beneficiaries?
Merrick Weingarten , Benzinga Staff Writer FOLLOW
July 10, 2017 11:05am
"The world is about to see the fourth tectonic shift in technology, and Jefferies analyst Mark Lipacis sees several companies being able to capitalize off of it.

“Every 15 years the computing industry experiences a tectonic shift, which dramatically changes the computing model and competitive landscape. We believe we are at the start of a tectonic shift now, driven by low memory prices, improved parallel processors/software, and improved AI technologies like Neural Networks,” Lipacis said."
"Intel Could Get Hit Hard

Since Intel has a huge amount of market share in the datacenter, “Intel has the most to lose as the industry shifts to a parallel processing/IoT model,” Lipacis said. This led him to lower his rating on Intel to Underperform."
https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/17/07/9757335/semiconductors-are-leading-to-another-tectonic-shift-in-
Yesterday Mark Lipacis puts up a sell rating based on checks of market addo
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/mark-lipacis
ocAu1qR.png

Here are 4 top semiconductor stock ideas for the next year: Jefferies
Tae Kim | @firstadopter
Published 1:42 PM ET Thu, 31 Aug 2017 | Updated 20 Hours Ago
"We hosted about 35 semi/semi-cap management teams at our annual Chicago Investor Summit this week. The tone from management teams around business trends was largely positive, in contrast to investor base that has concerns around inventories and the cycle, which makes us think that semis have an upward bias," Jefferies analyst Mark Lipacis wrote in a note to clients Thursday.

"We found the AMD and NVDA discussions among the most positive."

Here are four buy-rated chip stocks recommended by Lipacis, along with his current price targets.

1) Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)

Lipacis has a $19 price target on Advanced Micro Devices shares, which is 50 percent higher than Wednesday's closing price.

"AMD discussed positive market reaction to its server MPU [micro processing unit], EPYC, which follows the successful launch of its high end desktop MPU, Ryzen. Our own checks indicate interest in EPYC from five separate hyperscale [data center] players, and a tightness in supply of EPYC MPUs. Management also expressed confidence in its ability to achieve its target gross margin bogey of 40-44%."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/31/here-are-4-top-semiconductor-stock-ideas-for-the-next-year-jefferies.html

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
AMD CPU Sales Overtake Intel For The First Time In Over A Decade At Germany’s Largest E-Tailer
By Khalid Moammer
7 hours ago

AMD has reached its biggest marketshare milestone in over a decade, overtaking Intel in both units sold and revenue at Germany’s largest online retailer. The data pulled from the “Newegg” of Germany, Mindfactory.de, shows AMD’s Ryzen and Threadripper CPU sales growing over several months to finally overtaking Intel in August.

AMD’s Threadripper CPUs in particular have done exceptionally well, generating a significant amount of revenue for the Sunnyvale California based chipmaker. The Ryzen Threadripper family was introduced just a month ago to great critical acclaim. The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X was AMD’s first processor in over fifteen years to be crowned the world’s fastest, outpacing Intel’s best by over 45%.
SVzBt93.png

A Historic Milestone For The Perennial Underdog
The sales data, which Mindfactory.de makes public, has been collected and regularly cataloged by a redditor.
The data shows AMD with just 27.6% of CPU unit share in March when Ryzen first came out. A figure that grew every month to reach nearly 49% in July, and finally overtaking Intel with over 56% of the unit share in August. AMD’s explosive share growth at the e-tailer amounts to a doubling of units sold in just six months.

AMD’s best seller appears to to be the Ryzen 5 1600, which should be of little surprise considering the incredible value this six core processor delivers at just $220. In close second, third and fourth are AMD’s Ryzen 7 1700, Ryzen 5 1600X and Ryzen 7 1700X.

In sharp contrast to AMD’s diverse lineup of highly popular chips, only a single SKU accounts for nearly half of all of Intel’s desktop unit sales and that’s the i7 7700K. This explains why the 7700K continues to maintain somewhat of a grip on Amazon’s #1 best seller spot, whilst AMD’s Ryzen chips often occupy the majority of the top 5.
JhUf0ys.png

Breaking things up by revenue is more revealing. Unlike the AMD of old, the data clearly demonstrates that this explosive share growth hasn’t come at the cost of sacrificing profitability. As the company still manages to command the lion’s share of the revenue and not just the volume of units shifted.

The revenue data also reveals that whilst Threadripper accounts for only a tiny percentage of unit share, it actually represents a healthy portion of AMD’s revenue share. In the blue corner once again we see a single SKU, the i7 7700K accounting for the majority of the company’s desktop sales revenue.

The CPU War Is Heating Up And AMD Is Coming Out On Top
It goes without saying that different markets around the globe will react differently to the same product. And whilst this Mindfactory.de data represents a snapshot of sentiment in Germany, Europe’s biggest PC hardware market, it’s also a reflection of a wider reaction that we’ve seen take place all over the globe by consumers to a genuinely competitive product in an area of the PC market that lacked competition for many years.

Ryzen has certainly taken the world by storm, but Intel is not sitting idly by. Unlike Skylake-X, which has been seen as an underwhelming response to AMD’s Threadripper at best, Coffee Lake, which is only a month away, is shaping up to be a more formidable challenger. Whether AMD can maintain its explosive growth in the desktop channel market will rely largely on how consumers react to Coffee Lake. When all is said and done, one must appreciate the fact that for the first time in a very long time fierce competition is back in the CPU market, and if this sales data is anything to go by, hardware enthusiasts are loving every minute of it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Germany, a traditional pro-AMD place. I will leave you to guess why they are pro-AMD in that country.

Hint:

1d35b5e7-21fd-4f55-a93c-91e610792aa0.jpg

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Ryzen is not produced in GloFo Fab 1 in Dresden, Germany. Fab 1 is capable of manufacturing wafers at 40nm, 28 nm BULK and 22 nm FDSOI. AMD (through glofo) production in Germany is past history, soon no AMD product will be produced there.

Ryzen is produced in Fab 8, Luther Forest Technology Campus, Saratoga County, New York, United States
itsitio_amd-ryzen-7-1800-x-01.jpg

AMD market share in March was only 27% and climbed to 56% in just 5 months, there is much more going on than just "traditionally pro-AMD"

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3491295/amd-ryzen-threadripper-x399-megathread-faq-resources/page-3.html#20132683

jdwii

Splendid
I don't think no one is denying that ryzen drove sales i mean come on Amd fans haven't had a CPU worth buying in the past 7 years until now. We now have a 1000$ Amd processor that quite frankly offers quite a lot for the price even compared to the 7900x.

We even have old time overclocking guys returning again like CHEW from overclocker who basically left once bulldozer came out.

My main worry really will be coffee lake i feel once that launches in our market most will simply ignore Ryzen except the die hard fans and people who are just sick of Intel's pricing for the past 6 years.

I can say after using Ryzen for now 5 months its pretty neat and i'll stick with Amd as long as they keep improving IPC a decent amount with Zen 2 and Zen 3 if i see moar cores and that's basically it i'll jump back to Intel and i'm sure most will too.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This is not confirmed. The only confirmed AM4 compatible chip is Pinnacle Ridge. Rest is doubtful. And even if it is finally confirmed that AM4 will last that long. Current users will miss advances such as DDR5 and PCIe4.

I'm crying of laughter reading the comments section, TBH.

What a disgraced hell hole, my gosh, hahaha.

Cheers!

jdwii

Splendid

First thing I do on that site is read quotes and ignore the author and all comments. I will say the site is good at finding info it's not always wrong

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Zen2 is what was formerly named Zen+. The increase in IPC over Zen was expected since 2016

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAdjAAAAJGZiYzVhMjQyLTgzM2QtNGNmMi05NDQzLTJmNzU0OTI5YThhNg.png

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Holy CRAP 40%.... I will believe it when I see the benchmarks!

jdwii

Splendid
Actually so i just now watched that video i told you guys you need to take a look at.

He goes on to say 1080P AAA games playable on raven ridge APU's? That's a pretty big statement actually. Can't wait for reviews on the next gen APU's to see what we can get.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

I could see that on low-medium settings with ~700 stream processors.

Sorry, I have to correct you there. The graph clearly states in Marketing lingo: " > 0 increase" with that well placed arrow pointing up.

If analyze that arrow angle, what the Marketing people also wanted to say is the jump will be noticeable, potentially 20%!

But at the end of the day, we know marketing slides are just that: pretty pictures for fanbois to rage over it's meaningless interpretations. So, don't pay any attention to it since it's kind of obvious the performance would go up from Zen v1 to Zen v2.

Cheers!