AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdwii

Splendid

He really hates my board haha i stand by it today i wouldn't pick the other options mainly over weaker VRM having VRM stay at 80-100C at load make the caps run hot and their is always a bigger chance of having a board break. But i have been reading that Gigabyte is having the best luck with memory speeds, my B350 Tomahawk was a nightmare when it came to memory but the asrock Taichi runs my memory fully stable at 3200mhz.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Taichi was a board the many reviewers used, and no one had any complaints about it. Asrock in general was pretty quick with motherboard updates as I remember. Asrock for the most part has the least unfavorable commentary in personal reviews over the last few years as well.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
AMD Forges Alliance With Qualcomm For Always-Connected Ryzen Mobile Products
by Paul Alcorn December 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM

AMD made a surprise appearance at Qualcomm's Snapdragon Tech Summit. AMD's Kevin Lensing, Corporate Vice President and GM of the Client Business Unit, announced that the company is partnering with Qualcomm to produce Always Connected Ryzen Mobile products.
Qualcomm is launching its Windows 10 on ARM initiative at the summit, so AMD's surprising appearance to announce new capabilities with its x86 processors seemed somewhat out of place, but it is an important development. AMD announced that it is using Qualcomm's LTE modems to construct "Always Connected" 4G LTE PCs with AMD's Ryzen Mobile platform.
AMD did not announce any specific products, but it did say that it has infused Qualcomm's Snapdragon 4G LTE modem into their Ryzen Mobile reference test platform. AMD has worked with Qualcomm engineering to do full testing, optimization, and validation of the combination of the two components.
Now AMD plans to bring that solution to its OEM partners to drive Always Connected client notebooks with Gigabit LTE speeds to market.
Qualcomm and Microsoft's drive to bring Snapdragon 835-powered devices to market hinges on two central themes: always-connected connectivity and trading some performance for superior battery life. The company claims that will hit Intel where it hurts in the battery life department, but it's easy to predict that these Windows 10 on ARM PCs won't have the horsepower you can get with Intel's processors.
AMD's Ryzen Mobile processors have proven to offer competitive performance with Intel's Kaby Lake-Refresh processors, at least in the limited third-party testing we've seen thus far, so pairing the Always Connected functionality with AMD's compute power opens up another front in the apparent war against Intel's market dominance. Of course, the new Snapdragon-powered Windows 10 PCs also present a threat to AMD's products, so establishing its own Always Connected functionality is important to remain competitive.
The initiative is somewhat of a continuance of AMD's existing partnership with Qualcomm; Lensing pointed out that it has long used integrated Qualcomm WLAN solutions. We don't have further details as of yet, but we will update this article as necessary.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Ryzen 5 2500U Review Roundup: Can AMD’s New APU Take On Intel?
By Joel Hruska on December 5, 2017 at 11:02 am

HP-Feature-15z-640x353.jpg

2017 has already been a banner year for AMD, with a suite of products more competitive than anything the company could offer since ~2010. Most of the company’s launches, however, have focused on desktop computing. While the desktop market is important to AMD, it doesn’t account for anything like 50 percent of sales — the estimates we’ve seen suggest the desktop/laptop split is more like 30/70 in favor of mobile computing. Any long-term plan to turn AMD’s future and fortunes around, therefore, needs to include a credible mobile solution. Early reviews on the AMD 2500U have surfaced, and we’ve rounded up the results.

First, a bit of explanation. HP is the first company out of the gate with a Ryzen 5 2500U in its x360 15z laptop, and this is Ryzen’s first debut in mobile form factors. This means battery life and even system performance could change with future updates. That’s not guaranteed, but it’s far from unusual, either. Second, with just one point of comparison, this is a specific comparison of one HP model, the HP Envy x360 15z, as opposed to a generalized look at AMD’s Ryzen 5 2500 performance across a range of systems. As we’ve seen in the past with Intel’s Core M and AMD’s Carrizo, the design decisions a laptop manufacturer makes can have a significant impact on final performance.

Hot Hardware and Tech Report have both tested this laptop in a range of applications. We’ll start with gaming, since that’s always been AMD’s strong suit in mobile. The long and short of it is: “Better than Intel, but not faster than Nvidia’s GeForce MX150.” The MX150 is a 384:24:16 (that’s GPU cores, texture units, and ROPs) GPU, while the Vega 8 is supposedly a 512:32:16 GPU (AMD has not confirmed the ROP count). But while AMD has a beefier chip on paper, that GPU has to share its TDP with the CPU, as well as its memory bandwidth — and APUs have always been quite memory bandwidth sensitive.

This graph of Rocket League from Tech Report at 1080p is only one benchmark they ran, but it’s an instructive one. AMD’s Vega 8 outperforms Intel quite well, but it can’t catch the GeForce MX150. Then again, add-on cards in laptops tend to carry a fair price premium, which likely balances out Vega 8’s somewhat lower performance.
RL1080_average_fps.png

CPU performance is a mixed bag. As both Hot Hardware and Tech Report note, applications like Cinebench show the Ryzen 5 2500U performing well against Intel. Handbrake and raytracing are both competitive, and the Ryzen 5 2500U even competes reasonably well in some audio workstation benchmarks. Single-threaded and lightly threaded workloads still tend to favor Intel overall, however, and if you push up to a 45W TDP, Intel’s Core i7-7700HQ sweeps the 15W chips.
Cinebench-R15-Ryzen-Mobile-Results1.png

Hot Hardware writes that “The early indicators for AMD’s Ryzen Mobile platform are strong, both on the CPU and GPU side of the equation,” while Tech Report states that “Overall, AMD finally has the competitive CPU cores it’s so desperately needed to go with the powerful graphics processors in its APUs, but for the middle of the bell curve, single-threaded performance and snappiness still matters most.”

Our reading of both reviews concurs with this statement. The Ryzen 5 2500U isn’t a knock-out blow for Intel, but it’s simply leagues beyond anything Carrizo or Bristol Ridge could offer. This is the most balanced laptop APU AMD has been able to offer since Llano as far as its competitive position against Intel, and if you wind up trading away some CPU performance, you can generally look forward to best-in-class iGPU performance as a result.

But there is a caveat, albeit an unclear one, to all this.

Battery Life: An Uncertain Situation
The Ryzen 5 2500U’s battery life in the laptops TR and Hot Hardware checked is pretty bad. HH logged the Spectre x360 15z at 272 minutes after installing an updated UEFI from HP that gave them an extra 19 minutes of run-time. TR’s tests also found the x360 15z was similarly underpowered, turning in a runtime of just 6 hours 12 minutes in a web browsing test compared with 11 hours for an Intel system (details available here). Tech Report went so far as to isolate the display entirely and test an external monitor on both an Acer Swift 3 with an MX150 compared with the x360 15z. Battery life with an external display went up ~15 percent for the AMD system (a gain of 53 minutes) and 5 frickin’ hours for the Acer Swift 3.

It’s not clear what’s causing this vast discrepancy, but we’d avoid concluding the 2500U has a major battery life issue just yet. It’s extremely common for mobile systems on new hardware to have battery life issues at launch, to the point that it’s almost the norm. Sometimes the problems are specific to the way a publication tests the machine, sometimes they’re the result of immature drivers and firmware, and sometimes they’re specific to a single manufacturer. Either way, it’s too early to call on this one — a driver update from AMD could improve the situation over time. If, for example, Vega 8’s GPU is running at a higher clock than it should be, that could explain the difference. TR also notes that recent testing of other HP x360 Spectre systems has shown poor battery life — a recent Intel system with a Core i5-8250U actually scored below the AMD system in a head-to-head contest (5hr 49 minutes Intel, 6hr 11 minutes AMD). AMD’s poor battery life showing, in other words, may be entirely HP’s doing.

Our overall takeaway is this: AMD’s 2500U is by far the best Intel competitor the company has launched in years. Performance is only one issue that laptop customers buy on, but if AMD can bring its APUs to market below Intel’s quad-core 8th generation mobile CPU prices, it’ll have a compelling price/performance argument for itself for the first time in a long time. Battery life will play a part in just how attractive these systems are, but hopefully further driver and firmware updates can improve these metrics. Either way, we’d wait to see what other vendors can do with the APU before concluding Ryzen 5 has weak battery life.
HP Envy x360 15t Review
By Henry T. Casey | December 1, 2017

Battery Life
You'll need to carry the Envy notebooks' power cords wherever you go, as they fail to meet the already-low standards for big-screen notebook battery life. The Laptop Mag Battery Test (web surfing at 100 nits) drained the Intel model of its charge in 5 hours and 49 minutes, while the AMD model hit empty after 5 hours and 11 minutes. Those times aren't just shorter than the 6:34 mainstream notebook average, but below the 6:14 from the Inspiron 15, the 8:41 from the Spectre x360 and the 8:59 from the Yoga 720.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Ryzen Mobile vs Intel 8th Gen Core: AMD Levels the Playing Field
By Avram Piltch, LAPTOP Online Editorial Director | December 6, 2017 02:45 pm

v7eim2T.png

Bottom Line

Ryzen Mobile instantly makes AMD a serious player in the mainstream laptop space. In most use cases, a Ryzen Mobile chip is either a little faster or within striking range of the Intel 8th Gen Core. In fact, the only test that was a strong win for Intel was Geekbench 4; a few milliseconds of time in app-opens and 6 minutes of battery life are well within the margin of error. AMD's processor also offers significantly better integrated graphics, even though the graphics performance is not strong enough to turn a regular ultrabook into a gaming rig.

Given the choice between a laptop with Ryzen Mobile and another with Intel's 8th Gen Core (aka, Kaby Lake Refresh), we'd choose whichever machine is the better value at the time you're shopping. At press time, the Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 was $100 less than the unit with Intel inside. The difference in performance between these chips is really small for most users, and for AMD, that's a huge win.
UJQQhpx.png

Well, those 100 have to be saved somewhere. I wouldn't put it past HP using a crappy SSD in the machine. You know how different SSD (controller, memory type and all that) can affect performance. Also, driver tunning. I would imagine there can be some of that as well.

On the upside, the difference is not that big anyway. And given the performance figures, I don't think it's a deal breaker for AMD taking into account those 100 less.

Cheers!

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
AMD's new Ryzen 7 2800X teased: 12C/24T at up to 5.1GHz AMD's next-gen Ryzen 2 processors teased: flagship Ryzen 7 2800X could feature 12C/24T at 5.1GHz By: Anthony Garreffa | CPU, APU & Chipsets News | Posted: 5 hours, 40 mins ago
AMD is preparing for a big CPU launch in early 2018 with an event being held before CES 2018 in the first week of January where we'll see the company detail Ryzen Mobile (which has already launched). But it looks like we might see the tease of the company's next-gen Ryzen 2 family of CPUs.
Home News CPU, APU & Chipsets The Ultimate Oculus 'Holiday Rift' Guide Check out the games and accessories you'll need to truly embrace virtual reality. Ad By Oculus Rift AMD's new Ryzen 7 2800X teased: 12C/24T at up to 5.1GHz AMD's next-gen Ryzen 2 processors teased: flagship Ryzen 7 2800X could feature 12C/24T at 5.1GHz By: Anthony Garreffa | CPU, APU & Chipsets News | Posted: 5 hours, 40 mins ago Comment | Email to a Friend | Font Size: AA AMD is preparing for a big CPU launch in early 2018 with an event being held before CES 2018 in the first week of January where we'll see the company detail Ryzen Mobile (which has already launched). But it looks like we might see the tease of the company's next-gen Ryzen 2 family of CPUs. During a recent video on KitGuru, an AMD slide was teased in the background with 'Ryzen 2' which said "raising the bar for desktop performance" and teasing three new Ryzen 7 processors. We have: Ryzen 7 2700: 10C/20T @ 4.0/4.5GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1700) Ryzen 7 2800: 12C/24T @ 4.4/4.9GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1700X) Ryzen 7 2800X: 12C/24T @ 4.6/5.1GHz (replaces Ryzen 7 1800X) Better yet, the pricing on these new Ryzen 2 processors is damn good with the Ryzen 7 2700 starting at $329, the Ryzen 7 2800 priced at $399 while the flagship Ryzen 7 2800X will be priced at $449. Now remember this is all rumor, and isn't official. But if it is... AMD could really bring the hurt to Intel by driving their new Ryzen 2 processors past 5GHz. Intel will have 8C/16T processors released in the New Year, but AMD could get a massive foothold in that time. The leaked deck said pre-orders will begin on January 16 with a launch on February 1. The hype is real, people.

jdwii

Splendid

With Intel widely being rumored to offer 8 cores next year on mainstream i can't blame Amd for moving to higher core counts but i highly doubt this is true on so many levels.

One VRM no way can a lot of AM4 boards handle a 10-12 core CPU even more so with that frequency( i mean we have boards that can hardly handle a stock R7 already)

Let's assume its 95 watts then how on earth did Amd get 50% more cores and 28% higher frequency's from just switching to 12nm and tweaking the core i mean i doubt that's possible if even Intel let them use their fabrication.

3 as i think of it how on earth could they fit all that into the same space as a AM4 socket? Unless maybe Juan was right and we might see a 6 cores per CCX instead of 4 maybe this is what we can expect with Ryzen 2 once its made on 7nm.

So i call fake i would be happy to be wrong however, makes me question why do people troll so much and make these slides i mean if they are Amd fanboys it makes Amd look highly worse once real info comes out and if Intel fanboys make this it just makes potential enthusiasts wait until Ryzen 2 comes out i mean who would buy a 8700K this month if in 2 months one can get a 12 core Ryzen CPU for the same cost? I know i wouldn't if i was on a build currently unless i needed it that exact month.

What we should expect to see is possibly better memory support out of the box maybe we can see 3600mhz become the standard OC instead of 3200mhz and we might see 5-10% better frequency's. That's what i expect to see and i'm hoping we at least get this haha.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
These are all rumors until something is officially released, but I thought it would be something fun to talk about. Increasing frequency is a relatively small change in transistor design, and reduces area at the same time. Cheap boards with cheap VRMs could be problematic like they are now, but beefer boards should be fine. Hopefully we will hear from AMD within the next couple months.
hQ3waGU.png

I'm skeptical, but if they're talking about a single core max boost speed it sounds a lot more plausible. After IPC, it's probably the single biggest advantage -lake has over Ryzen right now, and if they've gotten it working that would massively close the performance gap in games.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Once again... Zen+ was renamed to Zen2 and moved to 2019. There is no more Zen+ in the roadmap.

Pinnacle Ridge uses the same Zen cores than Summit Ridge.

AMD-Raven-Ridge-APU-Specs-and-AMD-Pinnacle-Ridge-CPU-Specs.png

AMD-Zen_3.png

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
They are also calling it Ryzen Refresh, In the slide you show you can see they had always planned on upgrading the node... 14nm to 14nm+ this is now 12nm of coarse... Zen on the new node is whats classed as Zen+. Whatever changes they make changes to the uArch remains to be seen. I suppose it would be foolish if they made none...

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Next generation of Ryzen chips arriving in February, includes 12 core/24 thread Ryzen 7 2800X for $449
AMD is fixing Ryzen's biggest issues
By Rob Thubron on Dec 10, 2017, 1:00 PM

2017-12-10-image-2.jpg

AMD’s Ryzen processors have finally given people an alternative to Intel when it comes to choosing a great CPU, but even the company itself admits there’s still room for improvement—the company said future generations of Ryzen chips will have better IPC (instructions per cycle), clockspeeds, and overclocking. Thanks to leaked slides on meopc.net, we now have confirmation that the first of these—the Ryzen 2000 Pinnacle Ridge desktop CPUs—are set to arrive in under two months’ time.

We knew that the successor to the current Summit Ridge processors would launch in Q1 2018, but new leaks show the first next-gen Ryzen 7 chips shipping as soon as February 1, while Ryzen 5 and 3 are set to launch in March.
2017-09-27-image-3.jpg

The new chips are built on GlobalFoundries' 12nm process node, rather than the 14nm process used by Summit Ridge—essentially making Pinnacle Ridge AMD’s tick in the tick-tock model—and they use a refined Zen+ architecture. All of which means higher frequencies, power improvements, and (reportedly) support for higher DDR4 memory frequencies.

As you can see in the slide below, the 2000 series Ryzen 7 chips bring improved base/turbo frequencies over their predecessors, as well as adding more cores/threads. The top-tier Ryzen 7 2800X is 82 percent faster than Ryzen 7 1800X. And they will cost around the same as the original Ryzen chips did at launch.
2017-12-10-image-3.jpg

The introduction of the Ryzen 2000 chips will also see the launch of a new 400-series chipset, but compatibility with the existing AM4 socket remains. According to DigiTimes, X470- or B450-based motherboards will be the first of these to arrive in March. BIOS updates should ensure that 300 series motherboards are compatible with 2000 series Ryzen chips, but 400 series mobos will have the benefit of extra features, of course.

Low power and mobile versions of Pinnacle Ridge processors are expected to arrive around April, with 2nd generation Ryzen Pro parts set to launch in May.

Next year sees the launch of Zen 2 as AMD moves away from its Ridge naming system. Other than it also supporting Socket AM4, little else is known about Matisse.

2018 should be an interesting year for CPU fans. Not only will they have the choice of AMD’s new generation of Ryzen, but rival Intel will also be launching its 9th gen processors, which may be part of a Coffee Lake Refresh or even Ice Lake.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
by Paul Lilly — Sunday, December 10, 2017
UPDATE: Alleged 12-Core Ryzen 7 2800X Leak With 5.1GHz Turbo Clock Is A Hoax
Updated 12/10/2017 @ 3:52 PM EST.

Unfortunately, while the below specs definitely had folks in the enthusiast community excited, it appears that the leaked slide that was source of information regarding the Ryzen 7 2700, 2800 and 2800X is a hoax. The original reddit thread that was the source for specs that surfaced here originally, and have since found new life recently. We will, however, leave our original story, intact, below...

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7g7oc5/anyone_know_where_this_image_is_from_im_assuming/

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I notice he re-fairs to it in the article as Zen+ "Pinnacle Ridge AMD’s tick in the tick-tock model—and they use a refined Zen+ architecture. "....

But In that slide it is calling it Ryzen 2....?

The leak seems to be contradicting itself.. I would love to believe it.. but it's wishful thinking. It may actually set everyone up for a disappointment when the real specs come out.
But that slide can only be genuine if they have decided to change their roadmap and move Ryzen 2 forward an release it on 12nm instead of 7nm...

Certainly seems like a hoax.

But that's not saying it's not possible.. Don't know how much extra room they have on that 12nm. I believe they will move to 6 core
CCX's in the future. Wasn't expecting it in Feb but who know's... If they could pull it off it would be a bold move indeed. An would also mean 6 Core 12 thread APU's. Sounds savage.

jdwii

Splendid
Again over hyping future products never really help's either side and its sad to see people create fake slides fanboys on both sides will never buy anything else they don't like and i already explained how it doesn't help Amd an any way for fanboys to create fake hype slides.

Doesn't help Intel either as again who would buy a 8700K if a 12 core Ryzen chip was coming out with a decent frequency in just 2 months unless they needed too?

Well, considering Intel is moving to a full HT stack (no more disabled HT shenanigans, finally) just differentiating with cores, I think AMD has put enough pressure for the time being. Intel is taking rapid steps to try to keep the distance.

That being said, AMD needs to fix a couple of glaring issues with Ryzen and they're set: higher clock speeds and IF+IMC latency (not bandwidth). They improve on those two, even without actually changing the Zen guts, they'll be in a better position.

I wish they moved onto 6C CCX'es TBH, but keeping them at 4 seems a better idea for the time being if they concentrate on the intra-core deficiencies.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS