AMD's Next Gen Products Taped Out, Possibly Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic Islands is AMDs next GPU uArch.

A delay is not ideal for AMD but I think they will survive until the launch of Zen at least. If Zen is not up to snuff then they will be in hot water. Three major uArchs in a row failing would not bode well for any company.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Waiting is easy, significant number of DX12 games are still far off and 1080p is still the standard.. so i will keep my 7950/1100T x6 BLK setup for a while longer.

I'm saddened neither camp has a new Arch out before the big boys in VR drop their products. That showdown will be very interesting to me.

I want that Zen to rock my socks. I have a system with the 1st gen APU in it, and its showing its age.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
Can I make a point out to the author of this article. It seems as if the material states that AMD's next GPU arch is named Pascal, which would be incorrect. Otherwise it is quite an informative article, but something like arch codenames should be correct especially after they have been known about for so long.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Is PC market really that weak that no one wants to step up and buy out AMD.

I feel like at some point PCs will start using the same chips that are used in mobile devices.

I think amd's too far in debt with too weak of a current product lineup to entice buyers even if they were looking to sell. Unless they managed to find someone with deep pockets and plenty of surplus to pump into amd.

It's unfortunate that there's even further delay, 4+ years since a major desktop release on the fx lineup is an eternity in the tech industry. Hopefully they can get something to the table before people start asking am-who?

Over a decade ago, they should have cut better deals with retailers. They never got good floor space back when brick and mortars really mattered, and the AMD-based systems were always configured as the budget option. It's hard to overcome that. They've let that notion permeate and spread throughout society for so long. When they had the performance advantage, they ran prices right up and over the $1000 mark instead of really increasing market share with higher performance and lower price.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

That is what AMD tried to do but Intel blocked them completely in Asia with shady deals. That courtcase took 10 years and Intel had to pay 1 billion (peanuts). If I was Intel I would do that all the time, make much more money by blocking others than the penalty is. Capitalist system...

Yes, I'm also saddened that AMD won't release any new CPU any time soon. I've only owned AMDs, going on 15 years now.

Come on AMD, you can do it, come on boy!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i would like to quell any feelings of AMD's complete failure. Intel nor nvidia will let it happen. the risk and consequences of being a monopoly is far greater than having a competitor that is barely surviving.

AMD doesn't have anything of value worth purchasing. The X86 license is non-transferrable, becoming an ARM licensee is free, and other companies have better mobile GPUs. There's literally nothing of value anyone would want.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

I feel like at some point PCs will start using the same chips that are used in mobile devices.

Its certainly a declining market. PC sales reached its climax in 2011 with 350-360 million units, since then it has been steadily declining. 2015 forecasts expect less than 300 million units sold, something that was not seen since 2009. Add to that that AMD owns a tiny slice of that shrinking market. No wonder AMD is not an attractive buy.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

AMD doesn't have anything of value worth purchasing. The X86 license is non-transferrable, becoming an ARM licensee is free, and other companies have better mobile GPUs. There's literally nothing of value anyone would want.

Pretty sure ARM sells their licenses and doesn't just give them away. They range from like 1-10 million up front and then give a percentage of their sales as royalty fee.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
For one thing i hate NVIDIA, they bought out 3DFX and took the names (SLI) and closed it. Perhaps i am a 3DFX Fanboy! (well not boy , more like middle aged :p )
But sadly AMD is delaying stuff, more than NVIDIA and INTEL They all delay, due to bad economy all around? but they do, it is annoying for us enthousiasts and i am bored to read unrelated stuff to hardware in all my favorite tech sites, and toms :(

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Its certainly a declining market. PC sales reached its climax in 2011 with 350-360 million units, since then it has been steadily declining. 2015 forecasts expect less than 300 million units sold, something that was not seen since 2009. Add to that that AMD owns a tiny slice of that shrinking market. No wonder AMD is not an attractive buy.

To be fair technology has sort of stagnated over the past 5 years when it comes to processing power. People still run Sandy bridges and the biggest bottleneck still comes down to the GPU, there really isn't a reason to upgrade until the fabrication process moves to 16/14nm.

Or perhaps it's a saturation issue. PC Gaming has gone up, while units has gone down.

Food for thought: https://opengamingalliance.org/assets/uploads/press/2015-core-gamers-press-release-b.png

Kind of scary how fast mobile gaming is moving. o_O

Right, if AMD didn't have anything worth purchasing, why are their parts still being used inside of major devices like the current generation of gaming consoles? Not to mention being in computers and having a popular line of graphics cards. They also have a semi-custom chip design business for clients.

ARM does sell their technology with a license. The x86 license is also transferable. AMD can't just sell one to someone, but the one AMD has would be transferred to another company if it were to be purchased, so even with AMD shut down they would be able to produce x86 processors using AMD's license.

hannibal

Distinguished
Fast development requires a lot of money...
Also new production node is not easy task. Both payers have had their difficulties when moving to smaller production node. So I would not be too worried about these news. Of course we would like to see batter products sooner, than later.
AMD has taped out something new, they did already have taped out products a couple of months ago, so these are new versions, or completely new products. Hard to say, when there is not more information available.

Status
Not open for further replies.