AMD's Stock Plummets, Worst Single-Day Drop In More Than A Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldStabby

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Just don't sell. That would be what institutional traders want you to do. It's a case of market manipulation by big traders.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Intel clearly letting AMD temporarily step forwarded.

Looks like AMD was messing around when they said they going beat Intel i7 6900K --- 69%

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

AMD did a great job but I think people forget how big Intel is. I've had people telling me that Intel is done for and all sorts of <mod edit> like that. I was nice and didn't laugh in their face.
Yes, as gamers we think we're all that matters but there are a ton of companies that trust Intel for their workstations and servers. So one OK product from AMD isn't going to dethrone Intel anytime soon.

This however is just the stock market and honestly doesn't honestly reflect how well AMD is doing (especially this little slice in time).

Good :lol:
It was too high, anyway.

Fifteen months ago it was less than $2/share, and it has flown over $15/share in the last few months. The technical term for that is "irrational exuberance" :D

On a completely related note, a 'general survey' of Passmark submissions for Q1-2017 reports that AMD clawed-back 2% market share from Intel. It's a good start.

Q2-2017 (and Q3 with the Raven Ridge APUs) should be very interesting. MacBook Pro on Line One ??

4c/8t Zen with 8 'Lexa CUs'? On HBM2? An Open CL/GL monster?
(Internet Rumor Fantasies?)

:bounce:

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
This is also the same stock market and traders that threw a fit and devalued American Airlines stock because they gave their employee's a pay raise..... Seeing them try and devalue AMD stock appears to be a clear attempt at market manipulation.

genz

Distinguished
I don't get the press negativity here. AMD had a 330% increase before Ryzen, then a 24.8% drop after. By the math they have still seen a 223.36% rise year on year. That's still a great stock to me, and one that very much represents the state of the AMD market when compared to Intel and Apple's constant stock rises without good products.

AMD literally rose from the ashes and is still rising... or should I say Ryzen. (okay, bad pun lol)

It's NOT stock manipulation people, come on. What's happening is that RYZEN was hyped up so the stock inflated, then after a month of actual product to sell people with calculators find out that it seems to be overvalued.

Just look at the longer graph over a year or more. It slowly rises on average, then around FEBRUARY 2017 with the hype train going full speed there's a big jump which is sustained through product launch until we have enough numbers to crunch then BAM!!

Of course VEGA is coming as well, and the SERVER market has interesting things. I do think AMD's stock will be about 50% higher in a couple years but I can't afford to invest directly.

(I remember ALMOST investing in a CPU company years ago... Transmeta I think and that was a big flop.)

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Stocks are bought based on future estimated values and sometimes over-bought. So all that you mentioned must've been already priced into the value of the stock. Also sometimes stock prices are manipulated in many ways to make specific people more money.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
How utterly bizarre. AMD's new processors are the talk of the town, with Intel having admitted recently that its prices may be lowered as a result of AMD's hard work. And today Intel admitted that its AMT contains a serious backdoor.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I believe it is safe to say "Vega could not come soon enough." It could be too little, too late. I'm through being told 'it's right around the corner'. You know what's here, right now, the GTX 1080 Ti.

Your companies best, on it's best day, with the wind at it's back on a icy downhill slope; cannot even come within spitting distance of it.

Sorry red team, you took to long.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
AMD's still a good buy at $10. Just wait until they get into mobile and bring zen to integrated devices. IMO they should ditch Global foundries and use TSMC moving forward, but that would make to much sense. TSMC has the superior yet a little pricier process, but it would allow AMD to clock higher with less power.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
should be going up with the new chip out, so maybe there is something going on in the background, insider trading. Never had an AMD chip, but hope they do well, intel i7 had little progress during AMD state of nonexistent until recently. Grant my last 4-5 computers were laptop, where amd has always been the lower end spec, why I go the intel/nvidia combo (1 ati card for my laptop).

There's more money in the midrange market. For every person that buys a GTX 1080, there's ten or more that buy an RX 480. For every GTX 1080 Ti, there's a hundred RX 480's sold.

And there certainly is competition between the GTX 1060 and the RX 480, especially as more DX12 titles roll out.

UPDATE: I tried to verify my claims above and I can't. If you have a good source for sales figures, I'd be pretty interested. My thinking was sales of a Camry vs. Corvette vs. Lambo. This chart tends to indicate that it's more like 4:1 than 10:1 like I claimed: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/10613/segments.png

You had the basic concept right, the majority of GPU sales is mid-range to low end. There are a lot fewer people willing to pay $700 for a GPU than there are in the $80-$250 range. This is partially why they released the 480 first. and it worked, they got a fair bump in market share.
As for the competition, this is the current breakdown(price/performance)

RX 550
1050 > 460
470 > 1050ti
570 > 1060 3gb
580 > 1060 6gb
1080ti/Titan Xp

AMD is winning 4/5ths of the mid range and low end, Vega will hopefully change things in the high end as nVidia has been unopposed there for far too long.

As for the stock....I'm looking into buying some, but going to wait for it to bottom out first. I think this drop is more about stock holders selling off the make their profit, price drops and they will buy back in for Vega. buy low, sell high. The suckers are the ones that bought high and watched their stocks drop and panicked and sold off at a loss. With Vega, it's looking to be a end-of-Q2 launch, so we wont really know until the end of Q3 how it's doing...assuming there will be plentiful stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.