Amped Wireless Intros First Long Range 802.11ac Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhelicity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This article talks about long range 802.11ac devices, but I don't see any estimates of what "long range" means. Did I miss something? How long is long range? 1500 feet? 2 miles?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]srhelicity[/nom]This article talks about long range 802.11ac devices, but I don't see any estimates of what "long range" means. Did I miss something? How long is long range? 1500 feet? 2 miles?[/citation]
I was curious too so I clicked on the link to the source and it says 10,000 square feet. Well, 10,000 square feet is 100ftx100ft, so I would assume that it reaches a radius of 50 feet which isn't exactly too long of a range. But it does look like a good product otherwise.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
50mw was common in like 2001-2003 but today, 300-500mw and some of the higher end $150 range routers will use upwrds of 600mw transmit power.

A jump to 700mw will not give much of a range boost.

Their main boost comes from using external antennas and not the crappy PCB antennas that are kept internal to save cost.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I don't know why these new ac routers and adapters still use USB 2...

it's serious bottleneck when new ac protocol can go so much faster than usual USB 2...

use USB 3 on the new ac equipments, dammit!!

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I was curious too so I clicked on the link to the source and it says 10,000 square feet. Well, 10,000 square feet is 100ftx100ft, so I would assume that it reaches a radius of 50 feet which isn't exactly too long of a range. But it does look like a good product otherwise.[/citation]

a radius of 50ft?? and it's called long range? After reading all that fancy specs I was expecting 10x this range to be honest..

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]a radius of 50ft?? and it's called long range? After reading all that fancy specs I was expecting 10x this range to be honest..[/citation]
Not much for careful reading, are you?

"To access the full potential of 802.11ac wireless gigabit connectivity, customers will need the dual-band USB adapter. It will consist of two high gain, dual band antennas and four total amplifiers to maximize performance. It will connect using USB 3.0 to take full advantage of 802.11ac's gigabit data transfer speeds, but it will also be fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 802.11a/b/g/n networks."

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
wanted to also add, the netgear R6300 has a transmit power of 720mw and that transmit power is software limited to confirm to FCC standards as the transmit power + the gain of the antenna goes into figuring out the FCC limit on transmit power so technically someone can mod the drivers to use the full of the amplifier and just push out 1584mw+

most wifi amplifier chips can push out power well above the FCC limit, as their market is not just the US which has strong restrictions on wifi.

When it comes to consumer routers, most people buy a wifi enabled box, and plug it in and never touch or look at it until something stops working. So while router makers can add features such as WDS, more extensive QOS controls, it wont do much to the average user who makes up the majority of the market, so the main selling point for routers is range and speed, and a stronger signal allows the router to offer fast speeds along a longer range (eg not getting dialup speeds at the far corner of your house)

So the router makers generally just increase the transmit power and charge more for what is essentially the same transmit hardware with 1 or 2 numbers changed in the wifi drivers.

PS for wifi upload and download connection rates are negotiated separately so at range with a high output router, it is not uncommon to see your wifi radio report a download connect rate of 60+mbit while the upload is only 11 or 5.5 mbit/s and since we download more than we upload, you are likely to get a noticeable performance boost from just increasing the router's transmit power.

Status
Not open for further replies.