Analyst: Apple to Make HDTVs by 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They already make 30" displays but I don't know if they have coaxial, composite, or HDMI inputs. Knowing Apple it is probably a display-port only. Unsurprisingly, the 30" model costs $1,800 + tax which in the non-Apple world of displays would probably get you a nice 52" LCD.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Great, I've been looking for a horribly overpriced underspecced T.V to waste hug amounts of money on (not). At least they wont be able to call it iTV as that's a uk TV station.

On another note, here in the UK, people who want really a DVR usually have a paid T.V service such as Sky all of which come with a free (inclusive) DVR as part of the set top box anyway.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Searched for 52" 1080p LCD TV's in the price range. With the TV you get 1920x1080 resolution, slower response time and bigger pixel pitch numbers. With the Apple 30" display you get 2560x1600 resolution and faster response time and smaller pixel pitch. They are not really comparable honestly. one is designed for computer graphics professionals and one is just made to be just good enough to do the 1080p standard well.

yesca_mezcal

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I agree with apache, I prefer to use Windows over apple for media, now these graphic design types will always disagree, but i`m not making video, i`m watching it, so I could care less about this spec or that, give me 1080p and h264 and FLAC and i`m happy.

url

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
The last thing I need is someone controlling what I watch and what it costs me. If Apple follows it's normal business model, the TV would be locked to iTunes and nothing else. Apple thrives on those who can't handle things that are mildly complicated. Sort of a blonds' best friend. I don't buy Apple because I don't like being told I can't do something.
It is like control freak big brother saying you can't unlock your phone, change your battery, add flash memory to your phone, choose the cell phone service provider you wish, run OSX on a PC, access iTunes with any pmp device you wish, author applications for you phone without their consent and on and on it goes. The worst part is they charge you more for less.
I suppose they do well because of the overall laziness of modern society. There are a lot of people out there that just can't handle making their own choices or are just too lazy to do so.
Me, I prefer freedom even if it means things could get a bit complicated and I might have to apply a little effort to get something done.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
omg, this thing is going to be $4,000+ just for an average mainstream 42" screen and hardware thats bundled in a anodized unibody aluminum case that has a little black apple logo on the bottom. I'm rather happy with our $1200 50" 720p Samsung Plasma.

tomzi

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]yesca_mezcal[/nom]I agree with apache, I prefer to use Windows over apple for media, now these graphic design types will always disagree, but i`m not making video, i`m watching it, so I could care less about this spec or that, give me 1080p and h264 and FLAC and i`m happy.[/citation]

What about Eye TV plug in to Coax then to Mac Via FireWire or USB

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
the only thing apple is truly good for is taking the same products anyone else could make, and adding a premium price tag and giving us less hardware... i only feel sad for the people dumb enough to buy them.

welcome to the apple store, where you pay more for less, how far can you bend over so we can see just how much shaft you can take.

tomzi

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]considering apples track record... HDTV's would be worst than those overpriced underspec nootbook's.[/citation]

$7000 46 inch TV, what are you thinking? Oh your not thinking TV cost go down 80% in 2 years you think anyone is going price the HDTV at $7000 for a 46 inch?
Stop the worthless Apple hate

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Apple hate? No, it's the fact. Hey if you want to pay double price just for the brand name and looks, go for it -- it's your money not mine.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]They already make 30" displays but I don't know if they have coaxial, composite, or HDMI inputs. Knowing Apple it is probably a display-port only. Unsurprisingly, the 30" model costs $1,800 + tax which in the non-Apple world of displays would probably get you a nice 52" LCD.[/citation]
What 52" screen can you buy for $1800 that uses a 2560 x 1600 resolution?

tomzi

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Send me the money in unmarked bills I will have right to you. LOL Last I heard WD had a 50 inch for $200,000
That was like 6 years ago

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]They already make 30" displays but I don't know if they have coaxial, composite, or HDMI inputs. [/citation]

It seems to me that they're planning to launch their own on-demand channel, not launching a physical TV. They are trying to sell digital content to you, and the box you pay to have is just extra for them.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]Great, I've been looking for a horribly overpriced underspecced T.V to waste hug amounts of money on (not). At least they wont be able to call it iTV as that's a uk TV station.On another note, here in the UK, people who want really a DVR usually have a paid T.V service such as Sky all of which come with a free (inclusive) DVR as part of the set top box anyway.[/citation]

Don't be so sure. They'll probably do it, then sue the UK station to change their name just like they did with "iPhone."

Status
Not open for further replies.