Announcing The Tom's Community Indie VR Roundtable! Submit Your Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

edhem

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
How difficult is it to adopt current games to existing VR systems without lag (I have tried VorpX, and am very disappointed)? Do you have to have 90Hz on the display for every game? How much power do we need to have decent quality, as today's games can barely get 60fps on ultra settings? (When trying to run any game on HTC Vive with a R9 295x2 I am not too impressed with the performance)

campbelln

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What was the most interesting or surprising paradigm shift you experienced compared to developing traditional games?

We have amazing hologram technology and VR is out of the gate at a rather fast gait. How long do you suppose it might be before we start seeing a holodeck type marriage of the two technologies similar to what we've drooled over in the Star trek family of tv series? Obviously it would be a long time before anything even remotely to that extent comes along, but is this something that you guys foresee as being potentially viable at some point and is anybody already working on something similar?

Also, video arcades like we saw everywhere in the 80's and 90's have largely faded away. Do you think VR technology can create a resurgence of interest in entertainment facilities or do you think that with the availability of relatively cheap hardware people will tend to embrace VR only on home based systems and not have an interest in something like a VR lounge?

Going kind of sci-fi with this, and I realize there are already SOME kinds of training applications in the works for VR, but do you guys think it's possible that at some point VR courses could be a full time replacement for teachers and classrooms. This seems like something that could be easily implemented, but is rather frightening actually as it moves us a step closer to making US become irrelevant and taking more jobs off the table. Is it possible that VR could destabilize the human status quo? Thoughts on this?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
At least wait until there are optic nerve implants. Most people won't want to wear HMDs like all day, every day.

I actually do wonder what different people's threshold of discomfort is, with Vive & Rift. I'm sure this affects the kinds of games being made for VR, and that might be a good question to ask.

On that note, I'd also be interested in knowing if there have been any studies yet, or indications of, whether there might be long term side effects of VR on the ocular functions. Regular monitors are known to have damaging effects in some cases where consistent long term use is indicated, so I wonder if VR may exhibit it's own issues.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I was thinking about this. Since Rift and Vive have required games to run well on a fixed hardware spec, does that mean that faster GPUs' capabilities are just going to waste? Well, not if you simply add more pixels.

So, I think it's conceivable that next gen HMDs could jump to 4k, at the high end. But whether or not that's a good thing, I'm not sure. I've seen several complaints that the quality of current VR games seems a bit dated.

Maybe foveated rendering is the answer. We could probably get 4k at almost no additional cost. Then, games could use the spare resources of ever faster GPUs to increase detail and sophistication.

Status
Not open for further replies.