Asus P4P800 mobo. I installed a P4 2.8E Prescott but outside of the mobo
powering up, nothing happens - it doesn't go to post so I cannot get into
the bios setup screen.
Someone told me that if the current bios on the mobo isn't high enough to
support the prescott chip (I need the 1014 ver) that it won't recognize
there being any chip at all. Is this correct? (I do not know what version
came with this board).
How are you to upgrade to the bios version that supports the chip if you
can't get the thing to post?
Or is there some other issue at play here?

tia.

Paul

Splendid

In article <4cGgc.50590$aD.5833@edtnps89>, "bobjones" <bobjones@aol.com> wrote:

> Asus P4P800 mobo. I installed a P4 2.8E Prescott but outside of the mobo
> powering up, nothing happens - it doesn't go to post so I cannot get into
> the bios setup screen.
> Someone told me that if the current bios on the mobo isn't high enough to
> support the prescott chip (I need the 1014 ver) that it won't recognize
> there being any chip at all. Is this correct? (I do not know what version
> came with this board).
> How are you to upgrade to the bios version that supports the chip if you
> can't get the thing to post?
> Or is there some other issue at play here?
>
> tia.

So you tried one poster's suggestion of clearing the CMOS ?
(Try that with the computer unplugged!)

Can you borrow an older processor to do the BIOS upgrade ?

A look in Google had this tidbit:

"It will cost $25 for each bios chip, including shipping
& handling. The bios chip will be shipped by US postal
priority mail. For overnight mail, add $15. Please send
the check to ASUS Computer International, 6737 Mowry Ave,
Newark, CA 94560. Attn: Michael Huang. You may also call
Tech support at 510-739-3777 to order the bios chip by
credit card."

So, you need to make a toll call to the Asus tech support
facility in your country, and pay by credit card.

The contact information web page is here, as the info above
is only valid for a North American customer:

http://usa.asus.com/contact/contactindex.htm

HTH,
Paul

I cleared the CMOS but no change in behaviour. From the documentation I have
it appears the board was manufactured in June 2003. Likely before bios ver
1014 was issued.

Yes, you need the latest BIOS.

--
DaveW