Another Look at the Stunning Next-Gen Unreal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Im hoping the Frostbite engine for B3 will look even better than this, btw i also second the destruction, its horrible when you shoot a RPG or throw a nade at something and all you get is a little black scratch and smoke

boogien8

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
What I'm looking forward to is the next Mechwarrior release. I mean Mechwarrior 3 was released in 1999 and it had albeit weak graphics but had the ability to destroy environments, leave craters and destroy vehicles. Very impressive for something that was out over a decade ago. Which is why I have low respect for the games in this day and age. I mean the eye candy is nice, but if you really want to make the game realistic as possible and believable, it should have the ability to be destroyed. I should be able to put a satchel charge against a wall and bring it down or a bridge that isn't in the script. Or something similar. ok /rant off lol

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]DR4[/nom]nothing special in my view,, CryEngine 2 with DX10 looks much more realistic[/citation]

Yes, yes along with the UNREAL configuration required to run it smoothly beyond 1920x1200 with eyecandy.

Face it, guys, Development in the game industry all the way from the clunky squares to tessellation was done because it was needed AND profitable. Now that PC game developers are seeing a serious dent in sales and revenue compared to consoles, they must look for alternative ways to survive even if this means slowing down in the graphics department until consoles can catch up.

You can't sell Caviare in a country that can't afford it or doesn't need it.

boogien8

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
You can't sell Caviare in a country that can't afford it or doesn't need it.
*cough BS cough* where there's a will there's a way. The only reason why consoles haven't caught up with PC's is because the hardware spec's are pretty much locked in from 5 or 7 years ago. Next gen will probably have the highest hardware available at the time of release which will be obsolete again in 5 years. All consoles are anyway are PCs only you cant upgrade them the way you can a PC because that wouldn't be proprietary or profitable for said manufacturer.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Bunch of whiners. Waaaaaaa it's pretty but the game sucks. Graphics don't mean anything it's all about the game play. What ever. Go buy an old Atari 2600 and tell me how much graphics don't matter.

What I expect is for the software and the hardware boys and girls to push the envelope every year making all the kiddies cry who can't afford the gear.

They can quit once I have a game room where I walk in and stand in the middle of it and announce "computer begin program".

As far as Unreal's shiny new game engine. Better tools equals better games in the long run, so good on them. I'm looking forward to buying a game engine like you would an OS and you just buy a catalog of content for it from which you can easily make up your own games.

wmtyrance

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Like someone else said..whats the point if all us pc gamers get are console ports. It would seem that game developers find it cheaper just to make games for consoles and just port it over to pc.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Add to that ENB series and you won't be able to tell if it's real or not.

I need to win the lottery to play with those graphics... or wait about 3 years

G

Graphics don't matter. I've spent more time playing free flash games in the past year than I have playing retail releases... and I've got nice hardware in my PC. It feels like I'm wasting it. But there haven't been any decent games since... Company of Heroes? Supreme Commander? Counter-Strike:Source? C&C Generals? BF:2?

Minecraft is the best thing to come out in the last 3 or 4 years. And that doesn't need a top of the line PC.

G

WOW, Looks like those of who HAD high hopes that Crysis 2 would deliver the goods, at least have something to look forward to, and not some watered down cross between COD and colsole friendly crappy graphics

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
if you were to ask me, i'd be happy to be stuck with let's say the build engine. duke nukem 3d, blood, shadow warrior were all gameplay, yes it had destructible environments although pre-broken, but that will always be the case. As for other genres, ps1 gfx were FINE!. Look at it this way, are you playing a game to be entertained and have fun, or to be amazed by stunning scenery, no, that's why we have real life nature to look at, now that is stunning.

G

Procedural destruction of environments is still a tricky decision for developers, because it alters the landscape and level design, thus altering the playing field. I mean honestly, if you could destroy absolutely everything you could render a city map to nothing more than a football field of rubble. Now what? Months of intricate map balance flushed down the drain. Most map authors dedicate so much time to the nuances of each level that something as simple as a missing pillar completely alters the strategy of the map, and usually alters it for the worst leaving the map empty and pointless. Honestly, there's still some things which need to remain present, and destructible environments allow you to remove objects within 10 seconds of the game starting.

I still dont know how they'll ever work this out short of having regenerating walls and buildings or something, that just kinda fade back into place restoring level conditions to normal again.

G

And quit complaining about attention to graphics. I love the irony of saying "ps1 graphics were good enough!", I'm sure people said the same thing about snes and atari when those systems were top dog in their time. Those fancy 32bit PS1 systems were just overkill and too much time wasted towards fancy 100 polygon character models and such. Cmon, graphics were just as important and revolutionary with each new generation as they are today. You cant look back 10 years ago and forget where you came from.

G

ahhh the blessings of technology of course by the time epic even makes a game in DX 11 there will be windows 8 and almost dx 12. lets not forget the interview couple years back on gamespy with Cliffy B he said PC gaming is pretty much dead and worthless etc. So i am guessing this cool video of theirs is probably for next gen consoles. i wouldnt get your hopes up people the last 2 games epic made in the last 4 years that is decent for PC is UT3 and bulletstorm. GOD forbid they bring GOW franchise to the PC.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I would think that most people on Tom's would probably be computer centric/even though some may have consoles. So, for the most part, it's a bit of "preaching to the choir" about how computer graphics are superior. However, judging by DX11's possibilities, I think going forward, in the next 10 years or so (DX12/13), the laws of diminishing returns are going to start factoring in as photorealism is approached. How far can you push graphics compared to the human eye? Then, only larger playing fields and what not will be the only reason to have an expensive gaming rig in my view. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel that some kind of tablet or smaller system will eventually beat out the PC as only the most die hard purists will see any graphical improvement with an expensive system going forward into the next decade.

As far as the destructive environments, I agree with the other views that they are important to the realism. One of the problems, I think, is the relatively stagnant amount of RAM over the last few years. Debris in a gaming environment takes up a good amount of memory. Aside from the graphics cards, the systems themselves need to get away from the 32bit legacy and go completely to 64bit so that RAM amounts can start ramping up to 16/32/64GB and beyond and be able to handle immense amounts of information in local memory.

Just my two cents.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
It certainly looks amazing! However, what good will this new technology be if ordinary graphic cards cannot display all the eye-candies? I'll wait and see.

guitarjanitor

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
The last Unreal game that I played that wasn't totally awesome was Alpha Protocol -- which wasn't even made by Epic.

Epic always makes amazing/fun/great-looking games. I'm psyched to see a game from Epic running with graphics this awesome.

deerbolt

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
dont get me wrong i love the eye candy and all that beautiful scenery but for me game developers have lost their soul and concentrated more on the looks of the game and not on the story or longevity of the game. games are now so short that after a few hours you have completed it. case in point crysis 2 was awesome fun for 7 hours and then you get to the end and think, meh now what, all that hype and it lasted for 7 hours i was kinda left disapointed tbh. and i am sure i aint the only one either.

unreal engine and cryengine are awesome examples of technology but where has the heart gone in gaming nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.