Question (Another) Ryzen 3600 heating issue

Jan 12, 2021
Hi there!

I've stumbled upon something that I can't resolve (with that, the machine isn't at my place, so I've had a limited amount of time to work with it)

So it's a Ryzen 3600 with Noctua NH-9L cooler (I know it isn't the best, but should beat the Wraith Spire).

Wrong washers were initially mounted (grey ones go for Intel, white ones go for AMD). The guy who mounted the machine claims that it was all in the same bag (although all unboxing vids clearly show two different bags), but that's irrelevant at this point -
What's been going on is, with the Noctua cooler, the temps hit 60+ degees on idle, and easily hit 100 while gaming. We've looked at the heatsink itself, the plate doesn't really seem flat (easily seen when the light is reflecting off of it), so the idea is that he slightly bent the plate when he mounted the smaller washers (it also shows on the thermal paste, after testing and removing the heatsink, the middle seems rather dry-ish, even though a pea method was used to apply it in the first place).

What we've done next was mounting the stock cooler (Wraith Spire); the paste spread is perfect, it seems to be getting on without issues, but the temps are still fairly high - 60 on idle, but doesn't go over 85 while gaming.

Now I'm pretty sure the Noctua is useless now, but I'm out of ideas for the stock cooler behavior. Any ideas?

Cheers, thanks!

Hi there!

I've stumbled upon something that I can't resolve (with that, the machine isn't at my place, so I've had a limited amount of time to work with it)

So it's a Ryzen 3600 with Noctua NH-9L cooler (I know it isn't the best, but should beat the Wraith Spire).

Wrong washers were initially mounted (grey ones go for Intel, white ones go for AMD). The guy who mounted the machine claims that it was all in the same bag (although all unboxing vids clearly show two different bags), but that's irrelevant at this point -
What's been going on is, with the Noctua cooler, the temps hit 60+ degees on idle, and easily hit 100 while gaming. We've looked at the heatsink itself, the plate doesn't really seem flat (easily seen when the light is reflecting off of it), so the idea is that he slightly bent the plate when he mounted the smaller washers (it also shows on the thermal paste, after testing and removing the heatsink, the middle seems rather dry-ish, even though a pea method was used to apply it in the first place).

What we've done next was mounting the stock cooler (Wraith Spire); the paste spread is perfect, it seems to be getting on without issues, but the temps are still fairly high - 60 on idle, but doesn't go over 85 while gaming.

Now I'm pretty sure the Noctua is useless now, but I'm out of ideas for the stock cooler behavior. Any ideas?

Cheers, thanks!
Hello skelturoth

speaking from personal experience, those stock cooler temps where about the same for me, seems fine given the stock cooler

Reactions: Skelturoth