*Another* vulnerability in CA ETrust EZ Antivirus (FYI)

Well, this is about it for me. I've used the product since the InoculateIT
days, and even participated in the beta of version 6 of ETrust. Two
vulnerabilities in 60 days, the latest requesting an uninstall and
download/reinstall of a patched version.

This does not lend one to be confident. My license expires in February, but
I'll switch over to something else - and at least AVG for the moment:

http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2222&GUID=7094E5F51EB34366BB727A8880E61CE7

I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of which
I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8 just for
comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an idiot" type
features.

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> Well, this is about it for me. I've used the product since the InoculateIT
> days, and even participated in the beta of version 6 of ETrust. Two
> vulnerabilities in 60 days, the latest requesting an uninstall and
> download/reinstall of a patched version.
>
> This does not lend one to be confident. My license expires in February, but
> I'll switch over to something else - and at least AVG for the moment:
>
> http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2222&GUID=7094E5F51EB34366BB727A8880E61CE7
>
> I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of which
> I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8 just for
> comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an idiot" type
> features.

Take a look at http://www.nod32.com.

A quality program, not at all a resource hog, and *great* support.

Notan

> I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of
> which I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8 just
> for comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an idiot"
> type features.

Stew look at the enterprise versions of McAfee VirusScan 8. It's much
lighter then Norton and none of the idiot proof bells and whistles.
Unfortunately, you can't get it in single user licenses, however, if you
have 3+ PCs to cover a 5 user license is worth it. Look here for suites
etc.
http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/products/mcafee/smb/antivirus/category_smb.htm

--

Rob

Craig

> Well, this is about it for me. I've used the product since the
> InoculateIT days, and even participated in the beta of version 6 of
> ETrust. Two vulnerabilities in 60 days, the latest requesting an uninstall
> and download/reinstall of a patched version.
>
> This does not lend one to be confident. My license expires in February,
> but I'll switch over to something else - and at least AVG for the moment:
>
> http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2222&GUID=7094E5F51EB34366BB727A8880E61CE7
>
> I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of
> which I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8 just
> for comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an idiot"
> type features.
>

> Stew

Try http://www.avast.com/ has both free and pay versions.
Plus use very little system resources.

Craig

Give TrendMicro's Internet Security a try as well.

S.Lewis wrote:
> Well, this is about it for me. I've used the product since the InoculateIT
> days, and even participated in the beta of version 6 of ETrust. Two
> vulnerabilities in 60 days, the latest requesting an uninstall and
> download/reinstall of a patched version.
>
> This does not lend one to be confident. My license expires in February, but
> I'll switch over to something else - and at least AVG for the moment:
>
> http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2222&GUID=7094E5F51EB34366BB727A8880E61CE7
>
> I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of which
> I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8 just for
> comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an idiot" type
> features.
>

> Stew

Good day & Happy Holidays to all.

Oh well, I just paid for and installed NAV 2005 for our 3 desktop PC's here
at home. While I agree that it's a HUGE resource hog, since my children are
using the PC's I feel pretty secure using Norton and the trade-off in
performance is ~OK.

My 2 laptops however, are currentl;y running 1 year free versions of CA
e-Trust EZ Antivirus. They both expire in the next 2 weeks and I was
debating what to use. I know there are review sites and the the opinions
here are valued. Bottom line:
Recommendations please !
Thanks to all and best regards,
Morey G
Laptop 1 - Dell I5150 P4 3.06GHz 1GB RAM XP Pro SP2 30GD HDD
Laptop 2 - Toshiba SatPro 6000 (creak) P3 1GHz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP2 40GB
HDD

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Give TrendMicro's Internet Security a try as well.
>

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> Well, this is about it for me. I've used the product since the
>> InoculateIT days, and even participated in the beta of version 6 of
>> ETrust. Two vulnerabilities in 60 days, the latest requesting an
>> uninstall and download/reinstall of a patched version.
>>
>> This does not lend one to be confident. My license expires in February,
>> but I'll switch over to something else - and at least AVG for the moment:
>>
>> http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=2222&GUID=7094E5F51EB34366BB727A8880E61CE7
>>
>> I tested Norton 2005 this week, and it was a resource hog the likes of
>> which I've seldom seen. I then uninstalled Norton and tried McAfee 8
>> just for comparison. I find it less cumbersome but full of "you are an
>> idiot" type features.
>>

>> Stew

Craig

"Morey G" <moreyag@nospamfrontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Good day & Happy Holidays to all.
>
> Oh well, I just paid for and installed NAV 2005 for our 3 desktop PC's
> here at home. While I agree that it's a HUGE resource hog, since my
> children are using the PC's I feel pretty secure using Norton and the
> trade-off in performance is ~OK.
>
> My 2 laptops however, are currentl;y running 1 year free versions of CA
> e-Trust EZ Antivirus. They both expire in the next 2 weeks and I was
> debating what to use. I know there are review sites and the the opinions
> here are valued. Bottom line:
> Recommendations please !
> Thanks to all and best regards,
> Morey G
> Laptop 1 - Dell I5150 P4 3.06GHz 1GB RAM XP Pro SP2 30GD HDD
> Laptop 2 - Toshiba SatPro 6000 (creak) P3 1GHz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP2 40GB
> HDD

Here is information on some the Free antivirus software
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,113462,00.asp
I have been using avast antivirus with good results, plus they have a pay
version also http://www.avast.com

I have also used Trend Micro PC cillin , PCWORLD review
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,pg,4,00.asp

Craig