Build Advice Another "What parts do I buy" post!

Oct 20, 2023
Hope this is the right forum for this....

It's been many years since I built my last PC. back then my Quad-core, 8GB of RAM and 4GB GPU was the bomb. Fast forward to today and there are more choices for parts than my brain can handle!

So.... here's what I'm looking to do and what I've come up with so far. I rely heavily on people's reviews and of course my own experience. I've used Asus motherboards and Intel CPU's for years and I trust them so I see no reason to change unless convinced otherwise. Yes, I've used AMD CPU's before with no major disasters but I did have my share of compatibility issues. The Intel seems to be better at that and in a few other areas. All around it seems the Intel chips are just... well.. better (imo). I know there is a huge argument between the two. That's been going on since they both hit the market.

-----

Main reason for this build: GAMING (Games such as Starfield, Everspace, etc.).
Price range: $1500

MOTHERBOARD
: ASUS TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI. This is my first serious consideration but I'll take suggestions!
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF
CPU COOLER: Haven't decided yet.
RAM: Crucial Pro RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MT. This motherboard can handle a lot more but I think 32GB is a good start?

GPU: Undecided. Still looking. I've had great luck with AMD Radeon over the years. I've had my share of trouble with Nvida GPU's but then again, it's been years since I've bought one.

SSD: WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X.
SATA: Western Digital

PSU: Still looking. Not sure how big it needs to be with today's GPU's. 1000W? My old system has a Corsair 750W but I'm not sure if it will work on the new system. My 750W isn't modular either and I really like the idea of removing cables you don't need. Suggestions?

CASE: Antec all the way unless convinced otherwise. I fell in love with Antec's filtering system. I have a couple of older Antec tower- cases but with today's enormous GPU's - not sure if they'll fit? New cases aren't that expensive anyway if I have to buy new. I'll consider other brands if they have good filtering. It's amazing how must dust can gather even in my well sealed home!

Anyhow.. this is what I've conjured up so far and I'm open to an ideas or suggestions!

Thanks,

Last edited:
Some might advise you to get a K processor rather than KF, just to get the integrated graphics on the former.

Do you intend to avoid spinning hard drives entirely?

I'd at least price compare G Skill Ripjaws RAM or G Skill Trident (if you want RGB).

Do you have any particular attraction or aversion regarding liquid cooling?

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
If gaming is your focus and budget will allow you really are best served with a AMD 7800X3D. Do a little research and hopefully the numbers will be enough to get you past that AMD aversion.

Consider Lian-Li, Corsair, and Phanteks in addition to Antec for cases; there's a lot of really great stuff out there.

RAM, you're going to want to get at least DDR5-6000 and I generally recommend G.Skill over Corsair here. 32GB is enough, but more is never a bad thing.

What resolution and refresh rate is your display? How demanding are you so far as frame rates and graphics settings?

Oct 20, 2023
Thanks for the great and quick replies! I'm open to all suggestions!
I'm not avoiding 'spinning hard drives'. In fact I have many that still work great. Some SATA, some older EIDE. I figure I'll use my SATA drives from my old box if I need to. They are to be used for storage only so I'm not too concerned about their slower speeds. I want my main drives as fast as possible though.

I noticed most mobo's today have multiple slots for the SSD drives so I thought I may stuff a few more of those in there as well. The only SSD drive I have today is in my laptop (and external on the Xbox) and they're lightning fast compared to my old-school PC builds. Back then the SSD drives were new tech. I had no idea how fast they could be. I keep my OS on the SSD drive and everything else on the SATA. Boot time is almost instantaneous. So I can only imagine what the speed would be on an all-SSD system might be?

Far as AMD vs. Intel... as I said - I'm not completely throwing AMD under the bus - it's just been a very long time since I've had one. Even then they were pretty new on the market (remember the old Thunderbird chips?)... yea.. THAT old. LOL. I realize they've come a long ways since then.

I'm also shopping for a new monitor. For the moment I'm using my old PC on a 50" LCD TV. Not the best eye candy but works for now. Black Friday is coming so with any luck I'll be able to grab a decent 4K or something. Monitor shopping is also another huge endeavor of choices.

Great info guys! That's the responses I was hoping to hear from everyone! I'm WAY out of the PC building loop! You can teach this old dog new tricks!

Coolers have a certain height.

Cases have a certain width.

The CPUs in your target budget will appreciate above average cooling, which implies coolers in the range of 155 mm height and above. Therefore, look for cases that have at least that much acceptable cooler height maximum. Subject to later adjustment, but case/cooler have to be compatible in that regard.

Are you locked into a single SSD system?

Last edited:

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Yes - pick a motherboard with at least 2 M. 2 NVMe slots - ideally 3 or 4, for future expansion, though these get expensive. You can always use cheap risers to add more since you're going ATX and will have free PCIe slots. Get rid of hard drives entirely, you'll regret every time you have to pull something off of it. Spinning rust is beneath you now. ;)

So far as the monitor goes, what size are you thinking? 4K yes, obviously, and HDR... I'm a big OLED advocate. You do have to be a little mindful to avoid burn in, but it's not nearly as bad as it once was with modern models, and I've been using a 65" OLED as my main display for several years now without issue. And yes, there should be some solid Black Friday deals coming up.

Modern AMD is completely different than Thunderbird era AMD. Again, strongly recommend the 7800X3D. So far as AMD or Nvidia for GPU, that will depend largely on goals, resolution, and budget.

Main reason for this build: GAMING (Games such as Starfield, Everspace, etc.).
Price range: $1500
I don't see you nor anyone for that matter playing Starfield at 4K on a $1500 budget.

The 120mm fan goes inside the back of that case for a rear exhaust fan. btw you want to use Windows 11 with these Intel 12 gen / 13 gen cpu's.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Sapphire 21330-01-20G Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1454.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-22 01:35 EDT-0400

A better look at those components.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B760-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/specifications.html

https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...al-Tower-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2022/15900.shtml

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/377/1649665818/F5-6000J3238F16GX2-RS5K-F5-6000J3238F16GA2-RS5K

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-p5-plus-ssd

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/21330-01-20g-radeon-rx-7800-xt-16g-gddr6

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MAG-A750GL-PCIE5

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/focus/focus-2/black-solid/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIG4vFQbDn4

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
while i love my 7800x3d

7700non x easier to cool and a solid performer .

b650e mobo with decent VRM's and atleast gen 5 pcie x16 for future GPU's..

7900xt or 7800xt for its 20gb and 16gb Vram cant recommend the 4060 16 its bus speed nerfs it the ARC 770 16gb is a decent gpu but ive read its having issues with starfield..

i think there is a 4070 16 incoming which if priced well could be a great choice !!

check the starfield promotion on AMD products where you will get starfield for free :)

Gskill cl30 6000 32gb ram is the sweet spot for AMD and its priced quite well now !!

Arctic freezer ii 280mm AIO ( not the prettiest but cheap and very good ) will keep the 7700non x super super cool the system i build for a friend was 60c all core R23 ..

I like my samsung pro 980s , WD sn850x 2tb is cheap fast and ive had no issues with mine , firecuda 530s are also good bit more expensive but offer longer warranty and read write life span over most ..

850w psu i like and have used corsair alot ..

as for cases anything that offers good airflow and fits the components ..

7800X3D, current gaming CPU king

big quiet cooler

B650E mobo for pcie 5.0 M.2

fast rams

pcie 4.0 SSD with similar performance to SN850X. Random read write speed is what you should be looking for.

factory OC 7800XT

Case with front panel type C and included fans

ATX 3.0 PSU with 16 pin power connector for future nvidia GPUs.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($40.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Venom 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($97.99 @ B&H)
Storage: ADATA Legend 960 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($111.06 @ MemoryC)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1537.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-23 04:30 EDT-0400