[SOLVED] Antec Sonata3 front audio questions

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I now have a new (to me) system in this case and an looking at what the prior owner did and didnt do. Inside is a GA z77 ds3h MB. The system came with no HD/OS and no add on cards so i was cleaning and cable routing in prep...the Antec case manual(PDF) says it has both an AC97 and HDA cable/connectors.

I found the unconnected HDA cable floating in there and nothing connected to the front audio connector on the MB. I then started looking for the AC97 connector/cable and don't find one. should i be concerned or just go ahead and connect the HDA to the front panel.

As i look deeper into this case, i am missing a couple of the rails for putting in another 5.5 external drive and i have none of the trays for installing hard drives, so searching for that stuff too.

Solution
Here are images for the board you have but in:
Rev 1.0
5658_src.jpg

and Rev 1.1:
6547_src.jpg

In both instances, you're attention should be on the top left hand corner of the images, where you see a green bordered connector with AUDIO labelled inside it. That's what the HDA connector for the case should plug into, noting the empty pin slot on the board.

Lutfij

Titan
Here are images for the board you have but in:
Rev 1.0
5658_src.jpg

and Rev 1.1:
6547_src.jpg

In both instances, you're attention should be on the top left hand corner of the images, where you see a green bordered connector with AUDIO labelled inside it. That's what the HDA connector for the case should plug into, noting the empty pin slot on the board.

Solution

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I understood that, from looking at the MB(rev 1.0 BTW) and case manuals. What i am confused by is the Sonata 3 case manual which states it has both HDA and AC97 connectors but i am only finding an HDA connector. Im wondering where the AC97 connector went...