Question Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng) - High CPU usage (Have tried everything)

Oct 15, 2021
Hello there!
I have tried everything I could find on how to fix MsMpEng's high CPU usage.
  1. Have excluded the file and the folder.
  2. Have used options in the windows scheduler options.

Nothing seems to work, can somebody please assist me on this? The CPU usage is pretty high nowadays - somewhere between 200mb to 450mb.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Oct 13, 2021
Hello there!
I have tried everything I could find on how to fix MsMpEng's high CPU usage.
  1. Have excluded the file and the folder.
  2. Have used options in the windows scheduler options.
Nothing seems to work, can somebody please assist me on this? The CPU usage is pretty high nowadays - somewhere between 200mb to 450mb.

Looking forward to hearing back.
Are you talking 200mb to 450mb memory? Personally, this is about what I have. I usually have 186mb of memory being used. If it also has high CPU usage, then you could disable msmpeng.exe, but it would leave your device vulnerable, which I don't recommend. Also, high CPU usage can be caused by msmpeng.exe getting stuck scanning a few certain files. You can disable a few aspects of the antivirus but keep Real-Time protection active, as this will protect your device from malware/viruses.
Hope this helps

Oct 15, 2021
Are you talking 200mb to 450mb memory? Personally, this is about what I have. I usually have 186mb of memory being used. If it also has high CPU usage, then you could disable msmpeng.exe, but it would leave your device vulnerable, which I don't recommend. Also, high CPU usage can be caused by msmpeng.exe getting stuck scanning a few certain files. You can disable a few aspects of the antivirus but keep Real-Time protection active, as this will protect your device from malware/viruses.
Hope this helps
Understood - thank you very much for the reply. It doesn't really cause any problems - but good to know it's a normal thing. !

Stephanie_Sy

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
Do you use Windows Defender to protect your computer? If so, open up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc or Start Menu > Task Manager), scroll through the list of background processes and you will find a process called Antimalware Service Executable and its corresponding file msmpeng.exe.