[SOLVED] Any Good comes with continuing My Sound Card?

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017
Currently I own a Gygabyte H81M-S board with i3 4150 CPU.. I bought a Xonar SE sound card which has an S1220A codec and the card is working flawlessly.. I have saved up some money over some time so that this year I can finally get my self my dream CPU 9900k and 2070 Super along with an ASUS z390-F mobo.. I read that this mobo has an onboard audio with same S1220A audio codec.. So my question is,
Is there any advantage taking my Xonar Se over to the new board? Will there be any difference between onboard and Xonar audio even though both are same brand and have same codec? Is there any other advantage or disadvantage with using a dedicated card with such a new board..??? FYI I'm not working with audio or anything but I do listen to a lot of Western Music and Watch at least 1 movie everyday on my PC..

Solution
What about dedicated amp for front panel audio in Xonar Se? Will I get the same funcyion from onboard audio?

I use my PC for mostly gaming and media consumption.. Currently I have a Dell SE2416H but I am planning on a Samsung Curved 144hz monitor too.. Decided on 2070 Super Because no plans to go 4K or 1440p.. and everything higher than this card is just diminishing returns IMO..I kind of loved that CPU the first time I saw it and owning an i9 around in here is kind of a big deal... So obviously I'm not into value for money (in case of CPU Only)..9900K will future proof me for quite some time I suppose.. Hell I still use this 4150 from 2014 and 6 years after its still capable...
If you go dedicated Amp route it can be worth it...
sound cards are mostly useless nowadays. it wont hurt to have it, and if you want lots of pcie cards in your system, sure, use it, it wont have a negative effect.
if you did care about audio, you would buy a dac and amp with some audiophile headphones, but soundcards are basically the same as onboard nowadays.

also
dont be dumb
dont buy a 9900k
buy a 3700X (its just as fast as 9900k, and costs a lot less) and upgrade to a 2080 super
or buy a 3900X and have 4 more cores.

you also wont need such an expensive mobo if youre just looking for no frills applications, or an x570 with pcie gen 4

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017
sound cards are mostly useless nowadays. it wont hurt to have it, and if you want lots of pcie cards in your system, sure, use it, it wont have a negative effect.
if you did care about audio, you would buy a dac and amp with some audiophile headphones, but soundcards are basically the same as onboard nowadays.

also
dont be dumb
dont buy a 9900k
buy a 3700X (its just as fast as 9900k, and costs a lot less) and upgrade to a 2080 super
or buy a 3900X and have 4 more cores.

you also wont need such an expensive mobo if youre just looking for no frills applications, or an x570 with pcie gen 4
Xonar SE says it have dedicated amp for front panel audio with 300 ohm output.. Is it the same for the on board codec too?? Would there be any difference in front panel connection experience?

Yes I know, I planned a 9900K in a Trophy Sense.. Where I live Only a bunch of people even know that Intel has an i9 Series too.. So being an owner of an i9 is kind of a big deal :D, like buying an iphone 11 even though value for money options are available in the market..

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017
I do not see any benefit in using the sound card.

What do you use your pc for? If gaming what resolution and Hz is your monitor? I ask because for gaming a 9900k is an odd combination with a 2070 Super.
What about dedicated amp for front panel audio in Xonar Se? Will I get the same funcyion from onboard audio?

I use my PC for mostly gaming and media consumption.. Currently I have a Dell SE2416H but I am planning on a Samsung Curved 144hz monitor too.. Decided on 2070 Super Because no plans to go 4K or 1440p.. and everything higher than this card is just diminishing returns IMO..I kind of loved that CPU the first time I saw it and owning an i9 around in here is kind of a big deal... So obviously I'm not into value for money (in case of CPU Only)..9900K will future proof me for quite some time I suppose.. Hell I still use this 4150 from 2014 and 6 years after its still capable...

If you go dedicated Amp route it can be worth it if you are also using high end headphones/speakers. At that level I’m not as familiar with the best options, I’d rather someone with more knowledge/experience advises.

Ok for 1080p high Hz I can see the possible long term plan of the 9900k and it makes sense. Just far too often we see people on here pairing imbalanced cpu and gpu’s so thought I would ask encase we could give advice.

Reactions: amjadh678
Solution

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017
If you go dedicated Amp route it can be worth it if you are also using high end headphones/speakers. At that level I’m not as familiar with the best options, I’d rather someone with more knowledge/experience advises.

Ok for 1080p high Hz I can see the possible long term plan of the 9900k and it makes sense. Just far too often we see people on here pairing imbalanced cpu and gpu’s so thought I would ask encase we could give advice.
Thank you.. I just wanted a reason to justify my Sound Card Purchase in the verge of a mobo upgrade.. If atleast the dedicated amp will be an advantage, I'm gonna continue the usage..

Yes, I can't upgrade my PC every year so when the upgrading comes, I have to make sure I have to at least cover a minimum of 5 years.. Besides, Socket 1151 is coming to an end so I should get the most powerful suitable CPU as I can, and I want to own a 9900k just to sate by ego thirst.. :D