[SOLVED] Any good PSU suggestions around $70-$80 budget ?

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
Hi guys I'm mining ETH with Phoenixminer only when I don't play games or don't have commissions, I'm mining so that I have some extra income and help with the bills.
Before when mining with my old set up an Asus H110M-K Motherboard paired with a Pentium G4560 I can Easily get 27Mhs with stock settings and 30-31Mhs. with undervolt settings. I was blessed with a commission that helped me to Upgrade my set up.

But when I upgraded my rig and tried to mine I can't seem to reach 27Mhs with stock and 30mhs with the undervolt settings. And this is where things got more hard to understand, only when I turn on the Air conditioner I can get 27mhs with stock settings and 30Mhs with undervolt settings. Why is that?

I also tried plugging the RX580 on my old set up and it still no gets 30Mhs no sweat and doesn't need an Air conditioner.
I also tried to unplugged all the fans and leave the aio pump and still I can't go pass 24-25mhs on my new rig. I already updated and changed some settings on my motherboard bios thinking it might be just a setting need to be enabled or disable etc. and even reset my bios to default settings. still no signs of improvement.
then I've come to conclusion that I think its my Power Supply that can't give enough power to all my parts.
My current PSU is a Silverstone st70f-es230 its a 80+ white

My new set up specs are
Rog z490 a Gaming
i5 10400F (I know its locked I'll upgrade soon to 10600k)
Asus Rx 580 8gb Dual OC
Tforce Delta 2x8gb 3200Mhz
ID coolingx 360
and 6 more ID cooling fans lol
my case is Tecware VXR (ripoff of the Lian li o11) that's why it needs a lot of fans.

I really need help guys my mining income takes away some monthly payments my parents need to pay. Thanks in Advance guys

Solution
Your psu should be plenty.
If running with ac helps, I would conclude that you have a problem with cooling.
I5-10400 does not need exotic cooling.
It will run perfectly fine with even the stock intel cooler.
Run HWmonitor. If you see a max of 100c. it indicates that you have throttled.

AIO coolers do not last forever.
Air leaks into the system and pumps lose efficiency.
Try the stock cooler that came with the 10400 or buy a simple tower type air cooler.
You may need to limit the cooler to 155mm.
You should only need the three 120mm fans as side intakes.
That will provide plenty of airflow for the graphics card and the cpu cooler.

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
What's the one on the other build ?
its great to know that we have similar PSU. do you use it to mine? if PSU is not the problem in my system does that mean its either a BIOS setting or the motherboard has an issue? I really don't know and how to solve this problem of mine lol

If running with ac helps, I would conclude that you have a problem with cooling.

Try the stock cooler that came with the 10400 or buy a simple tower type air cooler.

Reactions: Llezner69420
Solution

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021

thanks for the info bro I'll try what you suggest

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021

https://mega.nz/file/vvhkQRpZ#4d4wRjRqa_tHOJ_wboZ6Qh6u9_UfUc6Hm2ApN3j4tmw

bro here's some screenshots from my HWMonitor

If HWmonitor was run after your cpu was busy, all is well and you were not throttling.
Since running A/C makes a difference, cooling is an issue somewhere. Perhaps to the GPU.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look at case cooling solutions.

I might also suggest that your processor is fine and if you want to upgrade, a i5-11400 will perform similar to the 10600K and would be cheaper.

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
If HWmonitor was run after your cpu was busy, all is well and you were not throttling.
Since running A/C makes a difference, cooling is an issue somewhere. Perhaps to the GPU.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look at case cooling solutions.

I might also suggest that your processor is fine and if you want to upgrade, a i5-11400 will perform similar to the 10600K and would be cheaper.

hi bro thanks for the help I really appreciate it that you still reply and think of ways to help me solve this problem of mine.
I took action of what you said about the airflow of my case. I removed all the glass panels and you're right about the airflow of my case.
with the glass panels attached it suffocates the GPU.

I already keep the glass in its box I can still work without it attached and knowing it suffocates and there's not enough airflow going through my gpu it made me scared that it might shorten my gpu's life. so just imagine it with the glass panel on and see how tight it is the 8pin pcie connector even touches the glass.

I'm thinking of getting a vertical GPU mount, so I can attach the glass panels back if it works great if not I'll be cleaning my rig 2 times a week dust here can build up within 2 days lol.

Your key to good cooling is getting sufficient fresh air INTO the case where it will pick up component heat and eventually exit the case.
I do not much like liquid cooling in a good case.
If you orient the radiator to take in cool air, the hot exhaust will heat up the motherboard and the graphics card.
Since a 11400 can not be overclocked, it does not need special cooling.
You can try using just the stock intel cooler that came with the cpu and see how you do.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should be more than enough.

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
Your key to good cooling is getting sufficient fresh air INTO the case where it will pick up component heat and eventually exit the case.
I do not much like liquid cooling in a good case.
If you orient the radiator to take in cool air, the hot exhaust will heat up the motherboard and the graphics card.
Since a 11400 can not be overclocked, it does not need special cooling.
You can try using just the stock intel cooler that came with the cpu and see how you do.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should be more than enough.

bottom fans are intake and top rad fans are exhaust, I still do lack 3 fans for the front panel which also be an intake as its advised by the reviews of this case.
I kinda love the looks of my aio and I'm also looking to upgrade my processor to 11600k soon.
Since this chassis causing the problem I think I might just leave the glass panel off for now still no budget for the case.
Atleast now I know what is the problem causing me to lose 5-6 hashrates when mining.

Llezner69420

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
hi guys update... same issue even without the glass panels attached still 23-25mhs in the day when AC is of and I can reach 30-31mhs when AC is turned on. bruh I really don't know now maybe its because of my motherboard? or bios setting?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
hi guys update... same issue even without the glass panels attached still 23-25mhs in the day when AC is of and I can reach 30-31mhs when AC is turned on. bruh I really don't know now maybe its because of my motherboard? or bios setting?
What happens when you turn the AC on, it instantly (or like in minutes) raises the hashrate or it's gradual over a half hour or so ?