Question Any idea why my wifes PC is crashing?

Mar 4, 2022
Hey there everyone,

So she's had this problem for a while now. PC will crash after gaming for a short amount of time. I initially thought it was high temps but they seem to be within reason. Not really overheating. I've adjusted fan her curves in BIOS and MSI Afterburner, in any case, to see if it would help but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. I've attached a HWinfo sheet and a screenshot of Speccy if that helps. If you need anything else let me know. I noticed her RAM is rated really low but I can't seem to adjust it in BIOS for some reason. I will try again but could it possibly be the RAM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HWinfo
Speccy

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey there everyone,

So she's had this problem for a while now. PC will crash after gaming for a short amount of time. I initially thought it was high temps but they seem to be within reason. Not really overheating. I've adjusted fan her curves in BIOS and MSI Afterburner, in any case, to see if it would help but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. I've attached a HWinfo sheet and a screenshot of Speccy if that helps. If you need anything else let me know. I noticed her RAM is rated really low but I can't seem to adjust it in BIOS for some reason. I will try again but could it possibly be the RAM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HWinfo
Speccy
What power supply exactly.

DSzymborski

Titan
It wouldn't be the RAM. RAM is DDR, so that's basically 2666 RAM and that doesn't really make much of a difference for that era of Intel platforms. And it wouldn't cause crashing by any means.

Need to know the exact power supply. Now, you always need to know the exact power supply, but it's especially important here is that with overheating not being an issue, it's by far the most likely thing to be causing a problem. Especially in an RX 590, an awkwardly power-hungry GPU with a pretty good failure rate.

Mar 4, 2022
It wouldn't be the RAM. RAM is DDR, so that's basically 2666 RAM and that doesn't really make much of a difference for that era of Intel platforms. And it wouldn't cause crashing by any means.

Need to know the exact power supply. Now, you always need to know the exact power supply, but it's especially important here is that with overheating not being an issue, it's by far the most likely thing to be causing a problem. Especially in an RX 590, an awkwardly power-hungry GPU with a pretty good failure rate.
Yeah just wanted to rule it out you know? I'll have a look at the PSU and get back to you. Seeing as its the most likely scenario, I'll probably need to replace it. 600W~ should do right?

Is it on the list?

Mar 4, 2022

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Good for a low end PSU. Corsair 650W CV650 Bronze 80 Plus.
That’s in Tier C which is on the cheap end according to the list…

Cooler Master MWE 500W 230V V2 80 PLUS White Non-Modular PSU Power Supply
MPE-5001-ACABW
If that’s the current PSU, it’s also Tier C and cheap. I’d say junk. Here is another thread that suggests against it…

Mar 4, 2022
That’s in Tier C which is on the cheap end according to the list…

If that’s the current PSU, it’s also Tier C and cheap. I’d say junk. Here is another thread that suggests against it…

It's actually white text on the list, not grey. Its 80+ Bronze so it should suffice and I've looked up reviews of it and it seems to be decent enough. She doesn't need a top of the line PSU imo.

Her current PSU is not great at all but it was a second hand PC and it worked fine for some time before this started happening. So I'll definitely need to replace it.

DSzymborski

Titan
80 Plus rating is not a quality rating.

An RX 590 is a GPU that puts a lot of stress on a PSU and a Corsair CV PSU is not appropriate for the task. I don't see the purpose of changing out a PSU but still not using an appropriate one so that we can be back here in six months.

Mar 4, 2022
80 Plus rating is not a quality rating.

An RX 590 is a GPU that puts a lot of stress on a PSU and a Corsair CV PSU is not appropriate for the task. I don't see the purpose of changing out a PSU but still not using an appropriate one so that we can be back here in six months.

Here are some other options I've found:

CORSAIR SFX PSU 600W
Corsair CX750M
CORSAIR TX650M 650W
ANTEC NEO ECO NE750G

Don't wanna spend more than needed either. I think the Antec would be the best option as its gold on that list. Would appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
CORSAIR SFX PSU 600W
Corsair CX750M
CORSAIR TX650M 650W
ANTEC NEO ECO NE750G

Don't wanna spend more than needed either. I think the Antec would be the best option as its gold on that list. Would appreciate the feedback.
The TXM and SFX psu from Corsair are also "gold"rated psu's if not "platinum" in case of the SFX, which largely is a efficiency rating, not per se a quality measurement. Personally would choose between the Corsair TXM 650watt or the Corsair SFX 600watt, but if you have anything of a somewhat bigger case would i just stick with the TXM. Although the SFX is likely the truly better quality part, the SFX has also short cables because of the form factor.

Mar 4, 2022
The TXM and SFX psu from Corsair are also "gold"rated psu's if not "platinum" in case of the SFX, which largely is a efficiency rating, not per se a quality measurement. Personally would choose between the Corsair TXM 650watt or the Corsair SFX 600watt, but if you have anything of a somewhat bigger case would i just stick with the TXM. Although the SFX is likely the truly better quality part, the SFX has also short cables because of the form factor.

I was mentioning this list not the 80+ rating.
Is it on the list?

The Antec is in the "gold" tier on that list so I assumed it was essentially best in slot.