[SOLVED] Any ideas as to why my GPU is underperforming?

Jan 11, 2020
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24852491

Here's a link to a benchmark I took. I got this GPU a while back off Ebay for like $150. I always have had this feeling in the back of my chest that my computer is technically good enough to do a lot of stuff, but I swear it sometimes struggles to play Minecraft. The performance that people get in those benchmarking videos on YouTube always feel way better than whatever I can pull with the exact same specs. I'm pretty sure my card was never used for mining, or at least the listing didn't say it was...

It's definitely not bottlenecked. Could I have maybe put the GPU in the wrong slot? Does it need a good cleaning and a new application of thermal paste, maybe? Sorry if I come off as arrogant maybe, I just don't really know what's going on here and would appreciate some insight.

Solution
run the test a few times, UBM is for the general idea, the gist it is not proper benchmarking software, that is always there for you but UBM is the quick and dirty way to get the gist, run it a few times and average the numbers, windows or something else may have been using the GPU or the PCIe subsystem hampering performance in the run.

real benching software is there

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
run the test a few times, UBM is for the general idea, the gist it is not proper benchmarking software, that is always there for you but UBM is the quick and dirty way to get the gist, run it a few times and average the numbers, windows or something else may have been using the GPU or the PCIe subsystem hampering performance in the run.

real benching software is there

Solution

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I might suggest instead of UBM, using the free Firestrike benchmark. It's easier to find reliable numbers to compare the results to.

And monitor / log CPU and GPU temperatures with software while doing so.

Jan 11, 2020
Here's a link to a benchmark I took. I got this GPU a while back off Ebay for like $150. I always have had this feeling in the back of my chest that my computer is technically good enough to do a lot of stuff, but I swear it sometimes struggles to play Minecraft. The performance that people get in those benchmarking videos on YouTube always feel way better than whatever I can pull with the exact same specs. I'm pretty sure my card was never used for mining, or at least the listing didn't say it was...
I might suggest instead of UBM, using the free Firestrike benchmark. It's easier to find reliable numbers to compare the results to.

And monitor / log CPU and GPU temperatures with software while doing so.
Will do this after I wake up. Sorry for the really late response, I've been busy practically all day

I don’t see a problem? Have you tried overclocking the gpu? Chances are it’s just below average because it’s being compared to many gpu’s that have been overclocked.

Also you say it’s not bottlenecked but depending on the game, resolution and game settings you easily could be with a quad core/thread cpu.