Question Any ideas why my PC turns itself off?

Jun 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on what could be wrong with my PC.

A few months ago now I upgraded to an i7 from an i5, which meant replacing the motherboard and RAM as well.
Everything seemed to work fine, but then I noticed my PC will just turn itself off and boot up again randomly.
It happens at random times and it doesn't seem to be related to the load as it has happened while gaming and also just idle with nothing open.

To me this seems like a power delivery problem, like something is shorting?
I thought my old power supply perhaps wasn't enough, so upgraded to a bronze 1000W, which didn't help.

The event viewer shows a critical error, but has no specific info.
Critical, Kernel-Power, ID 41, task category (63).

I'm not really sure what to try to fix the issue, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Ayjay

Jun 16, 2019
Can you list the two exact PSU's that give you the problem? Also, try running memtest86 to test for RAM problems.
My first PSU was a "Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W" and my new one is some random one from a local shop.
Doesn't seem PSU related though.

I'll have to run that memtest86 tool later and see what is says.

Jun 16, 2019
You did a clean install of Windows after changing the motherboard, right?
Hi, I did not do that, but I did wonder if that could be an issue.
With Windows 10 you just run their license activator thing when you change motherboard and it's supposed to be all good to go.

Do you think a clean install could be the solution?

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi, I did not do that, but I did wonder if that could be an issue.
With Windows 10 you just run their license activator thing when you change motherboard and it's supposed to be all good to go.

Do you think a clean install could be the solution?

No, that's only the process for updating the license. Best practice is always to reinstall Windows fully with a complete hardware change. OS installs are not modular; they're not Lego unless you're using a very specific Windows-to-Go variant. Even if it's not the cause, cutting corners on your Windows install is the first thing that needs to be remedied as soon as you have oddball problems.

Jun 16, 2019
No, that's only the process for updating the license. Best practice is always to reinstall Windows fully with a complete hardware change. OS installs are not modular; they're not Lego unless you're using a very specific Windows-to-Go variant. Even if it's not the cause, cutting corners on your Windows install is the first thing that needs to be remedied as soon as you have oddball problems.

I was thinking that would be the case, but wanted a second opinion before I went that route.
I'll do that soon and see if it helps, thanks for your responses.