• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Any laptops have cd buners in them?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
easily and burn them THAT way?

Thanks in advaNCE.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

me6@privacy.net wrote:
> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market
for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if
one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all
the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

OK

Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
as internal cd burners in a desktop?

Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?

If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
it.

www.dell.com

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:5i8h70pf26ob1aueckbrqgncbcilkao89s@4ax.com...
> >cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs
>
> OK
>
> Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
> as internal cd burners in a desktop?
>
> Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
> can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?
>
> If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
>it.
>
>www.dell.com

OK....checked that out. definite possibility

However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?

And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
in some respect?
 

gringo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
27
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I prefer the 600m


<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:deah70lnaq417p6etnenk5u9ulhm9ca02h@4ax.com...
> >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW
in
> >it.
> >
> >www.dell.com
>
> OK....checked that out. definite possibility
>
> However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
> diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?
>
> And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
> in some respect?
 

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
139
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?

Probably not so for Dells, definitely not so for ThinkPads. I have an
R40 bought 10/03 which came with a DVD-ROM/CD burner combo drive.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>I prefer the 600m

OK... but can you explain to me why? What qualities you like abt it?
 

Eugene

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
205
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive not kept up on the laptop market but a buddy who is in market for
> one asked me a question I didn't know for sure.....and that was if one
> can get an internal cdrw burner in a laptop? Can you? Or are all the
> cd drives in lap tops read only drives?
>
> If the answer is no... that you can NOT get a cd burner in a
> laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
> easily and burn them THAT way?
>
> Thanks in advaNCE.
Yes, you can get cd-rw, dvd, and even dvd-rw's are starting to make it into
laptops. My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
easily.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
>easily.

OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop

Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

Neither one is upgradeable video-wise, so if future upgrades are a must, buy
something else. The 1150 uses integrated Intel graphics and is not
upgradeable; the 600m uses a better ATI video chipset, but is likewise not
upgradeable.



<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:deah70lnaq417p6etnenk5u9ulhm9ca02h@4ax.com...
> >Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW
in
> >it.
> >
> >www.dell.com
>
> OK....checked that out. definite possibility
>
> However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
> diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?
>
> And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
> in some respect?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
>replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
>CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

OK

But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.



<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:pu3j70pr51gcb4cclo36gv8udaid535o47@4ax.com...
> >They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
> >replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more
efficient
> >CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.
>
> OK
>
> But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?
 

Eugene

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
205
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
>>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
>>laptops easily.
>
> OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
>
> Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
> it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Where did you find the case for $20?

Tom
"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4jhec.5866$ci4.4644@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> me6@privacy.net wrote:
>
> >>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
> >>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
> >>laptops easily.
> >
> > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
> >
> > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
> > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
> yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
> her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
> the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
> of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
> and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
> you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
> older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
> down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
> some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
> recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
> cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
> plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
>
 

Eugene

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
205
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:

> Where did you find the case for $20?

www.hoct.com

>
> Tom
> "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4jhec.5866$ci4.4644@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
>> me6@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>> >>My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
>> >>desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade
>> >>laptops easily.
>> >
>> > OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop
>> >
>> > Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
>> > it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?
>> yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife
>> has her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's
>> in
>> the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
>> of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
>> and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only
>> thing you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1
>> for older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to
>> slow down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x
>> and some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I
>> bought
>> recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>> cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case
>> and plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
>>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
>most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
>reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
laptops... is that possible?

Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
>plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

Good idea!

I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in them
now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
or an Inspiron 1150?

2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
with PowerDVD.

3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
laptop has a TV Out connector

If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks


<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:p54l701a76m7mt1imgkk66k41898ptbds9@4ax.com...
> >Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative
to
> >most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's
no
> >reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
>
> OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
> laptops... is that possible?
>
> Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
> them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?
>
> If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
> TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
>or an Inspiron 1150?

No..... no Dell stores here. But I am two hrs north of st louis so
maybe there is one there? Don't know anyone who has a 600m as well.

>2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
>with PowerDVD.

Good!

>3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
>laptop has a TV Out connector

Do most of the Dell laptops have this?

>If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
>laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
>less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

No.... watching DVD movies is not the main reason Im asking abt
laptops... but I am curious justif/how you can watch DVD movies on one

Ive never owned a laptop so know little abt them.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

1. that is one problem that any PC Brand that you order, it is sight unseen
so you don't know if you like the feel of the laptop or not until you
actually get it unless you know someone who has the one you want or there is
a Dell store nearby

2, 3. I don't have a laptop so I can't tell you if it has one or not.


<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:i6ol701r04mj38f44o5j4fdb0la364c27h@4ax.com...
> >1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the
600m
> >or an Inspiron 1150?
>
> No..... no Dell stores here. But I am two hrs north of st louis so
> maybe there is one there? Don't know anyone who has a 600m as well.
>
> >2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have
came
> >with PowerDVD.
>
> Good!
>
> >3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if
the
> >laptop has a TV Out connector
>
> Do most of the Dell laptops have this?
>
> >If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to
get a
> >laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one
for
> >less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks
>
> No.... watching DVD movies is not the main reason Im asking abt
> laptops... but I am curious justif/how you can watch DVD movies on one
>
> Ive never owned a laptop so know little abt them.
 

Eugene

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
205
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
>>most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
>>reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.
>
> OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
> laptops... is that possible?
>
Someone on here posted that they had a Dell store in their hometown so maybe
they are trying out that idea

> Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
> them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?
>
>
Yes

> If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
> TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

Yes, some come with tv out.
 

Eugene

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
205
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>> I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
>>cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
>>plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.
>
> Good idea!
>
> I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
> burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
> then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.
This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
and my wife's last three have as well. I used the same 4x cd burner on all
of them up until this year when it died. It was an external HP and the
case was just off enough to not be able to fit a normal drive so I bought
the case and stuck a drive in it. I have an USB inkjet printer and scanner
that we can share between both. I've also taken the external usb drive to
other peoples houses and backed up their stuff to cd for them.
Here is my setup http://www.ninefamily.com/images/im001883.jpg (its a big
pic dial up people)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>This works pretty well. My last three systems since 98 have been laptops,
>and my wife's last three have as well.

Cool!

Do you guys basically have ONLY laptops in your house...and no
desktops any more?

I mean....do you use laptops AS desktops?

I really don't NEED a laptop myself....dont travel, etc...... but Im
thinking on getting a laptop as my next PC and using it as a desktop
in my home just cause its smaller.... less cable...etc.

Good idea or not?
 

Similar threads