Any reason to install drivers on the CD after replacing one NVIDIA card with another?

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I just had an NVIDIA GT 730 card fail, and I replaced it with am MSI GTX 1050 Ti. It came with an installation CD containing drivers, but I didn't install it because I already had up-to-date NVIDIA drivers. However, I've noticed that there are a few artifacts on the output--for example a magenta glow around some letters on a powerpoint slide I was working on. I also got a message from Powerpoint that said my card might not be configured properly to do slide shows. Does this mean I should run the MSI installer even though I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (verified)? If so, do I need to uninstall the existing NVIDIA drivers? If not, is there some setting that might address the issues noted above?

Solution
You should uninstall your GPU drivers each time you change the card, even if its still an nvidia card.
Uninstall the GPU drivers, and reinstall them from nvidias website. The CDs generally have older driver versions so its better to get them online if you can.

If that does not fix your issue, you may want to consider an RMA if the card is artifacting.
You should uninstall your GPU drivers each time you change the card, even if its still an nvidia card.
Uninstall the GPU drivers, and reinstall them from nvidias website. The CDs generally have older driver versions so its better to get them online if you can.

If that does not fix your issue, you may want to consider an RMA if the card is artifacting.

Solution