[SOLVED] Any tricks for working around a blocked PCIe port?

Aug 19, 2019
I got a new mobo today and I have 3 1080 tis. I can fit two and the PCIes can technically handle the third, spec-wise but not space-wise, but the only available port is blocked by the huge cards.

Is there a way around this?

I tried running a PCIe extender from the blocked port, but it's bend radius is too wide, needs to be flush.

Any ideas?

I used to be able to fit 3 on my old x99e-ws but there wasn't anything with a similar layout.

Solution
Actually...I measure several times before ordering. But my main issue is physical length, not how fat the units are. All I know is that people choose both gpus and motherboards based on these considerations. IOW I'm not sure there is a solution other than to RMA. And fwiw I always assumed, looking at these slots, that you had to choose between dual gpu and running other kinds of hardware out of the slots for precisely the issue you describe.

The other similar issue is whether your cpu cooler lets you get all the ram in that you want to put in.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Actually...I measure several times before ordering. But my main issue is physical length, not how fat the units are. All I know is that people choose both gpus and motherboards based on these considerations. IOW I'm not sure there is a solution other than to RMA. And fwiw I always assumed, looking at these slots, that you had to choose between dual gpu and running other kinds of hardware out of the slots for precisely the issue you describe.

The other similar issue is whether your cpu cooler lets you get all the ram in that you want to put in.

Greg N

Solution
Aug 19, 2019
Yeah, I was in the middle of a freelance job when my mobo crapped out, I had to choose from boards available at my local microcenter. The only board they had that would fit 3gpus was $700 so... I went with 2.

Thanks for you input