anyone have an idea when floppies will die out...

roomy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I know this mite be out of topic, but anyone have an idea when Floopy disk drives(3.5) will burn out of existence? when do you guys think manufacturers will stop making them and why? me personally i love my writer (iomega on a plextor release 16x10x?) but disk drives dont look like their gonna die out in some time(at least here in the philippines...)

eden

Champion
I've read somewhere Intel would like to start a plan to phase them off the world...
I disagree because Floppies remain a good way of taking quick small data anywhere. Zip Drives are nowhere close to be as popular as 1.44 Disks, and CD RWs are still not widely used and are not as fast to put data and then reformat, which is slow.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i totaly agree. they won't die out. when you are fixing a machine most of the time all you need is a good boot disk. i'd like to see someone waste a 100/250mb($15) zip disk for what a .50 floppy can do much better.

eden

Champion
Not to mention Boot Disks indeed!
These little datas can make a difference between a format dead PC and a back-and-running-in-10-minutes one.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

G

Last year I called and wrote a few dozen PC & component manufacturers and magazines suggesting the industry dump the floppy and create a CD burner that would fit in the same space and use 185M CDRs. It seemed to make a lot of sense to me, CDRs are cheaper to make than floppies, hold over 120 times what a floppy can store (plenty of room for driver distribution as well as most programs), compatible with full size CDROM drives, existing interface already in place. DVD burners will be here soon so the small CD could be used for compatibility and the DVD drive wouldn't have to serve double duty (there's issues with that.)

Most of the responses (yes I did get responses) centered around wanting to wait for the next technology. Hell, there will always be a "next" technology. Sony can double the space on the mini-CD but the beauty of using the 185M mini-CDRW is compatibility.

eden

Champion
Until we can make write anytime in x-seconds CDs without the hassle of formatting or whatever, floppies still prevail.

--

G

Yeah, as long as it takes longer than about 5 mins to format an RW disk, then there will always be a place for floppies. If anything should be the standard, it should be the Imation superdisk solution, not ZIP. The Super disk gives you back compatibility with standard floppies, but also the option of using the 120 MB carts. I thought Imation would corner the market, but then I thought the same thing about Betamax...so what do I know?

As far as other solutions, here's a a pet pieve of mine. What the heck happened to Dataplay! They were all the rage a year ago at the 2001 CES. They were supposed to revolutionize storage, replace flash memory and floppies, etc. 500MB of MP3 on a disk the size of a quarter! Well whahappuned? And don't even let me get started on MiniDisc-DATA format.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As far as I can see it, floppies aren't going away for a long, long time. They're such an economical solution to so many problems. Look at Windows - they're saying "Make a so-and-so disk" all the time.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
This has been discussed before. I don't use a floppy anymore and <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">they're getting rid of it.</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I should note that you can create a <A HREF="http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/" target="_new">bootable cd-rw</A>. The floppy is worthless. You don't need one to flash the bios either. Put the rom file and executable on your hard drive, boot of a cd, and flash the bios with full confidence.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you install an OS (which is on CD) if you are booting off a CD? Wouldn't you need 2 CD drives? And wouldn't that cost about 5x as much? I am not being sarcastic, I am really wondering.

edit: nm, the more I think about it, the more its obvious you do need 2 CD drives and yes it costs more but I guess not by that much. I suppose prices will continue to drop and one day a CD drive 5x as fast as the best today will cost 10 bucks like a floppy does, lol.

I guess my point was, I dont have 2 CD drives so I still need that boot disk!

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why would you need two CD-ROMs? I've installed Widnows with a mere one CD.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Dude, you must be reading my mind, but I didn't quite see what I want on that link.

What I be needin is a W95 Startup CD, like a startup floppy, but only a CD. Specifically I need to be able to work with partitions configurations via FDISK from this CD.

I have this old m/b that has a dead floppy controller. Tyan Tiger 100, yeah it's worth saving for a game server or something. I've been through this long process of not being able to get any of several, semi-old to old, ISA card, floppy controllers working right. I mean I could get around all this easy enough with the aid of any of my other machines. It's just that it's a pain, and I just want to use this m/b without a bunch of headaches.

whatcha think?

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
aah, I thought you had to boot off one and install off the other. My pc looks at the floppy first at start up, not the CD drive, but I know I can change that. thanks for clearing that up.

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
When my 286, 386 will die??? How to get a cd-rw running on them??? At the university we have even 8080 systems for hardware, ASM experiments. They a raped :)) by us 2 years now and many other. (we are loosing them fast 1 a month).
I think that it will take a long time

G

Floppies piss me off!!!

They are slow, unreliable, can only store a piddling 1.44 MB. I use zip disks all the time, at uni, around college, and at home. However, I agree with everyone who says that floppies will be around for a while. The simple fact remains that not everyone has a system capable of using bootable CD's, running burners, whatever...

I too have heard that Intel plans to begin pressuring OEM's into leaving out the humble floppy from new systems in the second half of the year, but I really can't see it happening. Until we can all agree on the next step, be it Zip, CD, etc. backwards compatability will continue to be the BANE OF TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES!

And until then, I'll be carrying around my external USB Zip drive.

It's alive!!! hahahahaha!!!

eden

Champion
To omit Floppies in OEMs, would put buyers away from them...or return the product when they find out no flopply was in it.

--

G

Yeah, that's why everyone really needs to put in a concerted effort to include a viable alternative to floppies, like mini CD's, or Zips. If, and only when, everyone puts in the effort at the same time, that's when the 'average joe' buyers will have to do without them.

(!) Alternatively, a very intelligent manufacturer could come up with a drive that uses Zips and floppies, cheap enough to replace the stock standard floppy drive, and hope that this will encourage people to use Zips in favour of reliability and greater storage capacity.

It's alive!!! hahahahaha!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't see the problem. There are many ways to boot a PC beyond the floppy. That's all the floppy is really useful for. I can't even fit a word document with a picture on a floppy disk.

If OEM's elliminate the floppy, they will be doing it on systems that are capable of booting off a cd so what's the problem with that? What OEM's will need to do though is suger coat the transition by providing a bootable cd that has all of the relevent drivers on it so that the process is smooth and in the eyes of the consumer "better".

Floppies deteriorate with time, are slow, and can't store anything usefull anymore. Why bother keeping them? If a user wishes to they can buy a LS-120 for their system.

Are we really that stuck in our ways that we can't change?

The same thing goes for serial ports. Why keep serial when we have USB and firewire? Let users who are determined to keep serial buy a pci card. As for the rest of us we can eliminate components that just waste space and a bit of our money each time we buy a motherboard.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hey, actually, I still use a serial port for my Palm m105's HotSync cradle.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

dhlucke

Polypheme
Check your bios first and see if you can boot off a cd. Then you can use the link I gave you to burn a bootable cd with any drivers/utilities you want on there. I did it for WinXP, but you can do it for the other OS's as well.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes, and the new handhelds use USB (and serial), so we could move on now. Those of us with older handhelds buying new computers would just need to use a pci card till we upgraded our handhelds or buy the USB conversion kit for $29.

That's me included.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 02/16/02 06:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Dude, the idea is backwards compatability... not everyone has systems that support bootable CD's, and not everyone has enough spare dough to buy a burner or zip drive. As long as there are old systems around with floppy drives, us with the good systems will need to make sure that we can be compatible with them.

I agree with ur 'sugar coating' idea, but tranferring small amounts of data (eg. school assignments) between computers of differing ages is determined by the factor of the most common media. ur 486 is not going to handle ur 40x burner, or ur zip drives, but ur P4 / AthlonXP will handle that common factor fine.

I know it sucks, but that's the way it'll have 2 b until ALL system have a new common factor, I'd like that to be zips.

<i>It's alive!!! hahahahaha!!!</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I know it sucks, but that's the way it'll have 2 b until ALL system have a new common factor, I'd like that to be zips.
Zip disks are great for security and storing information for a prolonged period of time but CD-RWs will most likely become more popular. They're cheaper, store more information and faster at 12X.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor