Question Anyone heard of Ironside brand SSD's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Side note on low capacity - it depends on your use case. I used a 128GB for the Micro Machine (see my sig) - but, it's a Linux box that doesn't get a lot of use. I'm somewhere in the vicinity of 20GB of total space being used on it.

Dual booting Windows 10 and Puppy Linux, though? Well....

Yeah, that would be fine. And, even if you're giving only half of the space to Windows - a clean install of Windows can be done in under 16GB, you just have to be very careful managing updates, space usage, etc. It's doable if you're not doing a lot with the Windows side.
Windows most likely will get about 100gb of space with Puppy Linux getting the rest. Currently have Puppy installed on a 10gb partition and have about 9gb of free space.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Received the SSD today. It looks identical to a Patriot Spark including the gold screw holes and the sata header. According to CrystalDiskInfo the firmware is SBFM21.2 and has a power on of 0 hours. Did a benchmark with CrystalMark, average reade speed is 513MB/s while the write speed is 490MB/s. Actually quite surprised at the memory size, was expecting the actual storage space to be less than 100gigs, but it's not, it's actually 119.3. Only time will tell how reliable it is, but so far so good, 10x faster than the HDD it replaced.