[SOLVED] Anyone know where I can get drivers for this DVD Drive

Aug 20, 2019
Hi

I was given this DVD drive and windows does not recognize it. I cannot find any drivers online. Anyone know this drive and where I could find drivers?

Frist time posting so I'm hoping I inserted the links correctly.

Thanks

SD8xKi5.jpg

RzwRkvA.jpg

Solution
It does look like it's for power from all the decoupling caps bridging one lead to the ground plane, and the inline diode preventing current from feeding back into the USB port (but allowing the port to feed the power transistor too). The metal cap on the back of the jack blocks us from seeing if that lead runs right into the +5v pin of the USB port.

Considering USB 3.0 wasn't even announced until after that drive was made, you can bet it's USB 2.0 which is fast enough for any DVD drive ever made. However USB 3.0 ports can deliver more power, so what happens if you plug the cable you've got into a blue port?
I agree. Like I said, Windows 10 should definitely not need ANY drivers for any CD, DVD or Blu Ray drive, especially if it's more than a year old and that one is fairly old at 11 years old. My guess would be that it's just faulty.

You might want to try a different cable, and you might also want to try right clicking the device in device manager and selecting update drivers automatically.

Is the device recognized in the BIOS?

Reactions: boju
Aug 20, 2019
I agree. Like I said, Windows 10 should definitely not need ANY drivers for any CD, DVD or Blu Ray drive, especially if it's more than a year old and that one is fairly old at 11 years old. My guess would be that it's just faulty.

You might want to try a different cable, and you might also want to try right clicking the device in device manager and selecting update drivers automatically.

Is the device recognized in the BIOS?

Hi, yes, I see it in the bios and in windows system screen

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type DVD-ROM
Name TEAC DV-28E-V USB Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_TEAC&PROD_DV-28E-V&REV_1.AC\DEF10FCF9E0B&0
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\CDROM.SYS (10.0.18362.1, 169.00 KB (173,056 bytes), 3/18/2019 9:43 PM)

but it will not show up in the windows explorer as a drive. I tried different cables.

I know its old, might be a dud, might be why I got it for free, but now its becoming a challenge, I will probably waste a lot of time and energy on this but that's half the fun. LOL

Aug 20, 2019
Does the tray open? Have you tried putting in a disc?
Yup, try opens, green led comes on, I hear the laser moving, disc spins but it doesn't play any DVD movies, I haven't tried data CD's or music CD's I only tried a few DVD movies that will not play, well no dvd player opens up. I did not download any DVD player yet, I was thinking some native windows player would pop up maybe that my issue?

Aug 20, 2019
Could be, try vlc player
Thanks for the idea. I tried VLC Player, pop in the disc and nothing, light flashes and spins. I hit play button on the VLC player, nothing plays the menu pops up, I click on the DVD tab and it takes about 3 minutes to display the tab, I can hit the eject button and it opens the tray but it will not play. So it sees it enough to be able to open the tray but wont play. LOL Getting close to taking this thing apart.

Does this drive get power from usb or does it need additional dc power?
What is that round rubber cover next to the USBA? Could that be a power jack? says to require 1.5A which a normal USB port shouldn't be able to provide. Do you have a powered USB hub to test?

Explorer will not show anything until a disc is actually mounted, but the drive should show under Storage Manager. Appears in BIOS is a good sign.

With everything connected, and u insert a disc, the LED should blink for like 10 seconds while the disc "mounts," but should stop blinking after a while. If it continues to blink forever and it constantly makes noise, the computer is not able to mount the disc.

DVD don't need no special driver.

If it's recognized in the BIOS and in Windows, then unless there is something wrong with the device itself, or you lack the correct software to play the media, it should work. My vote would be that there is a problem with the device, but just for grins, since I rarely have any success with VLC and quit using it about two years ago due to problems with the software, I'd try doing two things.

One, install the Standard K-lite codec pack, because there might be something in there that is lacking on your system due to the requirements of the IDE era drive. It's always worth installing the K-lite or an equivalent codec pack when there are problems playing discs or watching video, even though Windows 10 doesn't generally require it for most common things and VLC or other players often include them, or at least the most common ones.

Two, I'd try a different player, like Pot player.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What is that round rubber cover next to the USBA? Could that be a power jack? says to require 1.5A which a normal USB port shouldn't be able to provide. Do you have a powered USB hub to test?

Think that round thing is the on switch.

May have found the manual for the device this dvd drive is an accessory to. Whether it helps or not lol don't know. Doesn't say too much about the dvd drive except power button and some other small bits of info. Im wondering whether this drive universally works on any usb device or just this device supposedly (for the moment) belongs to.

Page 72. https://www.ads-tec.de/fileadmin/download/doc/manual/industrial/TT13_EN.pdf

Well, he said it shows up in Windows as follows:

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type DVD-ROM
Name TEAC DV-28E-V USB Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_TEAC&PROD_DV-28E-V&REV_1.AC\DEF10FCF9E0B&0
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\CDROM.SYS (10.0.18362.1, 169.00 KB (173,056 bytes), 3/18/2019 9:43 PM)

It may actually be the TEAC DV-28E-V USB device that you need to find the drivers for, although again, anything that old should automatically be supported by native Windows drivers if it's supported at all.

As jsmithepa said, that sticker says 1.5A on it which a USB port will not provide, unless the D+ and D− terminals are shorted across with a 200 Ω resistor to put it into "USB battery charging" mode. Of course if you do that, then you can't move any data to or from the drive. The suggestion for a USB hub is because there is no regulating circuitry limiting how much power can go to any one port in those, and it must be designed to supply enough power for all ports operating at once.

Drives like those originally came with something called a "dual USB-A to B" cable to pull power from two USB ports. The specs for the drive itself say 1.2A max so the other 0.3A are to run the enclosure.