Anyone use MSI Afterburner on Win 10

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
OK I made a bit of a hash installing it because there seemed to be 2 programs, Afterburner itself and another one. I started the unstall and Afterburner installed and put me at what looked like a me u, but I cancelled the other program. Then it wouldnt open from the icon. So I reloaded it and unticked afterburner, so only the other program loaded and it too put me at a sort of manual menu.

But this time another window opened and it seemed to be downloading and installing a lot of files from the Net ....didnt like that I had additional crap.
Still wouldnt open from the desktop icon.
Rebooted the PC and no it loads ... Looks a bit of a cluncky interface on a 4K screen.

I only wanted it for the monitor part , no interest in overclocking my MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4.

I just wondered what all those other files were.? Any ideas?

Does this program tend to interfere with other things?

Any other users care to comment does it cause problems. i think I may reload windows completely and hope it gets rid of it all, will a total reinstallation of Window totally remove all of it?

This GTX 970 has dual fans which apparently only kick in if it gets hot. I noticed the temp was 51C and the fans were totally stationary. Is that normal ? Or too hot?
Any info appreciated as its my first ever GPU?

Solution
First, I use afterburner. I have a custom fan profile(I'll tell how to do it). I also use to it to overboost my 780tis. Did you download from MSIs site? Your post has me slightly confused, so I'll just say this. Download the latest version of afterburner from MSIs website. Uninstall whatever you have done to this point and then install the Afterburner from MSI. If you did download the Afterburner off the MSI website, then disregard and leave it.
As to whether it interferes with other stuff. Well, really it will only interfere with the MSI gaming App. It's settings will supersede the gaming apps(at least it did on my system).
Now, how to make a custom fan profile(btw, your temps at which the fans are still idle are...

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
First, I use afterburner. I have a custom fan profile(I'll tell how to do it). I also use to it to overboost my 780tis. Did you download from MSIs site? Your post has me slightly confused, so I'll just say this. Download the latest version of afterburner from MSIs website. Uninstall whatever you have done to this point and then install the Afterburner from MSI. If you did download the Afterburner off the MSI website, then disregard and leave it.
As to whether it interferes with other stuff. Well, really it will only interfere with the MSI gaming App. It's settings will supersede the gaming apps(at least it did on my system).
Now, how to make a custom fan profile(btw, your temps at which the fans are still idle are perfectly safe). Go into the settings menu at the bottom. At the top, you'll see the fan sub-menu, open it. This will show the current fan profile. Check the box for enabling user defined software fan control. Now go down and tinker with the temps and fan speed until you have what you want. Something to keep in mind. Even when my twin frozr fans are going flat out(roughly 3000 rpm), I can't hear them in my system(system is not loud). So don't be afraid to push the speed up at an early point. These cards boost is dependent on temp and power usage, so if you run the card cooler, and boost the power limit(on the main page), you just might get a higher max boost.

Solution

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi
Thanks for such a detailed post most helpful.
Yes I got it from MSI's site, when I clicked download and unzipped the files and installed afterburner there were two boxes check one Afterburner and the other something like Revo somothing.

Imam too much of a coward to overclock anything, and my GTX 970 twin frozen is fime for editing still pics. I dont Game.
But I really like the idea of the GPU fans coming in earlier say at 35C.
According to Intel XTU all my 6 cores run between 29C and 37C when stressed, which I think is OKish . My Cooler is the Noctua D15 twin fanned. All my fans run at about 320 to 35o rpm. The PSu fan makes more noise than all the other 8 together. Its an EVGA 1200W ( rebranded Superflower ).

Do you know if I reload Windows 10 from scratch will that get rid of Afterburner completely or does it leave code in the registry? I am assuming that reloading the OS completely replaces the entire regisrty? I am also hoping that it does not change the Bios, is that true?

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks so much, just nervous of BIOS tweaks as the current Supermicro BIOS doesnt update properly so it took me 3 months to get a board that worked.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Riva tuner can be hard to get rid of. You'll need to turn write protect on the files off, then change the names of the files that the system is currently using. Then you can use uninstall on it, if you want it gone.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Hi Thanks
I have already done a full reinstallation of Windows 10.
I hope by doing that, all of Afterburner and Riva will have gone?

Am I correct when one does a complete reload of Win 10, it will build a brand new vanilla registry ?
And hopefully neither Afterburner or Riva tweaked the Bios?

Regards
Peter

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Thanks, I dint specifically hit the format button ( dam assumed it would ) but I did delete all the partition I could except the unallocated that grew until it was the size of the ssd.
But get your point the files are there albeit dormant .