AOC C3583FQ 35-inch Curved Ultra-Wide FreeSync Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
You really need to change this review.

It does not exist at the REVIEWED price.

And the only stock I can find it Bestbuy, at $700.

And if I was willing to pay $700, I'd just skip it and buy the Predator at $999, for the extral pixels.

So, unable to buy at reviewed price.

No. Thank. You.

rgd1101

Don't

right on the first page, link to amazon $599. Didn't said it was in stock, just found it on that price.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
This monitor is garbage - those of you with an opinion try to live with this POS for a week and then comment - it is garbage.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
This is shite. I bought the LG 34UC88 curved 34" 3440x1440 for $720. And the older Samsung curved 34" was $500 on Fry's last week. $600 for this AOC would be a fair price if it were 1440p. For 1080p? Shite.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Despite all the people talking about curved not causing distortion, it definitely does: if you are anywhere other than perfectly at vertical eye level with the line that you're looking at. My excel spreadsheet grid lines look curved if I'm standing above my monitor or below, even slightly. What's more, for the first 2 months, I kept trying to turn and adjust my monitor because I thought it was misaligned and not perpendicular to my view. So many times I reached for the edge to twist it before realizing, oh yeah, it's curved.

I'd buy it again if it were a free option. But not for a +$220 premium.

I don't think anyone is saying that this is a good productivity monitor, I'm sure not.

How does a track day car do in an off-road race? Abysmally! But that doesn't necessarily make it a bad car. It's like when sites review a $1.5K+ professional monitor with premium accuracy and uniformity across a number of colour spaces targeting professional content creators. You can bet that the comments section will contain a bunch of people moaning that the input lag make it "worthless"... when the product is not in any way designed for gaming!.

This is a pure gaming display and needs to be presented and considered in that way. The PPI is totally inadequate for any kind of productivity for someone with half decent eyesight and I agree with you about the curve. Excel I imagine would be one of the worst use-cases for this display. Anyone who buys this monitor and plans to use it for spreadsheets, database work, etc, has made a really poor decision.

But, I stand by my comments above. In gaming (which is what this monitor is designed to do), the distortion issues are (usually) much less noticeable. They're still there, as I said, but if the edges of the display are simply filling your peripheral vision, I certainly don't find it jarring and the extra immersion you get from the peripheral view is significant. Of course a 144hz 1440P Ultrawide running on a GTX 1080 is a better solution, I suspect most of us would that take for our gaming rig if we could afford it. But for those who can't, this monitor offers a cheaper option, which will run well with a much cheaper mid range GPU (a 470/480/1060 would have a good shot at running games on this display), and offers an experience that starts to approach what you'd get from the premium set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.