AoE 3 Direct3D Error (nvCPL is unavailable)

Commander Matt

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
I managed to fix it! This is how:
Turns out Age of Empires 3 doesn't much like a second GPU with a second monitor. (Will report back soon on if I can get it working with my second GPU and second monitor running)
What I did to fix it:
1) Uninstall it from Steam.
2) Close Steam (Click Steam in the upper left of the Steam window, then Exit)
3) Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder in the Steam install directory. Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires 3. Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder.
4) Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder in Documents > My Games. Default directory should be C:\Users\(the name you have in your computer)\Documents\My Games. Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder.
5) Reinstall Age of Empires 3.
6) Once reinstalled, change your monitor's resolution to 1024 x 768
7) Launch Age of Empires 3!
Old topic:
Sorry for reviving such an old topic, but I can't find much up-to-date information on this.

I'm unable to play AoE 3 (Steam) on my machine. When I click "Play," the "Age of Empires III" logo/image comes up, then it gives me an error saying my machine doesn't meet the system requirements (says I have 0 MB video memory... lulwut?). If I choose "attempt to run," it gives me the "Direct3D initialization" error.
Before this, I had to download a DLL that was missing. Of course I've forgotten it's name, though. :(

The compatibility is set to XP SP 3, run as admin. I've tried editing the xml profiles to 60hz refresh, 1024 resolution, etc, and also gone through the "How to Fix Direct3D errors" on Tom's Guide. None of it's worked for me.
I was able to run AoE 3 on my HD 6870 back in the days of Windows 8.1, but can't on my R9 380 (windows 10).

My drivers are CCC 15.7.1 (I have unrelated issues with Crimson). 15.7 driver also doesn't work.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
I've checked the log (like I should've from the start) and it says "PreGame 7753: nvCPL is unavailable."

[strike]Going to try putting the nvcpl.dll from dll-files into AoE3's folder, see if it fixes. Will update thread if it does or doesn't.[/strike]
Didn't work. :(
Back to the drawing board.

Solution
Fixed it! :D

Turns out Age of Empires 3 doesn't much like a second GPU with a second monitor. (Will report back soon on if I can get it working with my second GPU and second monitor running)
What I did to fix it:
3) Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder in the Steam install directory. Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires 3. Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder.
4) Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder in Documents > My Games. Default directory should be C:\Users\(the name you have in your computer)\Documents\My Games. Delete the Age of Empires 3 folder.
6) Once reinstalled...

Commander Matt

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

I went back and tried using 15.7.1 and 15.7 CCC drivers, not working.

I've checked the log (like I should've from the start. Note to self: Read the error message fully XD ) and it says "PreGame 7753: nvCPL is unavailable."

Going to try putting the nvcpl.dll from dll-files into AoE3's folder, see if it fixes. Will update thread if it does or doesn't.

Commander Matt

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Fixed it! :D

What I did to fix it:
6) Once reinstalled, change your monitor's resolution to 1024 x 768
7) Launch Age of Empires 3!

I'm going to do some testing and will report back with results in case anyone in the future has this problem.

Solution