Question AOMEI Backup software always running in background? Considerable usage

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I recently purchased the AOMEI backupper software and I noticed it is using a considerable amount of memory while running in the background.
I have 2 separate external drives I connect every couple days and let them do the automatic sync file update so I do not need the program running 24/7.
Is there anyway to set it to not run in the background like this? Even ending task it just pops back up a moment later.

Specifically there are two AOMEI related tasks running:
The large one is: AOMEI ABSync - and uses anywhere from 500-1600mb
The smaller is: AOMEI Backupper Scheduler task service - and uses only about 10mb

This is while no drives are connected and I have not opened the program.

Sep 28, 2019
Alternative plan could be using rsync. It's free, and super fast! But for scheduling, you need to do it by your own(e.g. OS schedule task manager, crontab, etc... to run that rsync for good)

Since there is no ptp sync, so you won't need any daemon/service.

About the AOMEI, I don't know too much! but this is possible the larger app has handlers for every single file for monitoring. How many files you wish to backup? total number of files matter.
And how does this backup performs the backup? differential? increment? full-copy?

If you are in windows, go to start, and open services.msc, or services(this might need some small time to run).
Then try find the associated service for that AOMEI app service, and then stop, and set the start mode as manual.
Now you have to have your own dedicated schedule, to start the service at target point, and then stop it. The process will be the same for rsync I mentioned, instead with AOMEI you may have some UI wizard, while rsync works through terminal.

Another alternative is using Easeus app, it comes with a free version, and works.

Ralston18

Titan
What OS are you running?

In Windows, go into Task Manager > Startup. You are likely to find that AOMEI Backup is being launched at startup.

Disable and then put a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch AOMEI Backup when you do want it to run.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Alternative plan could be using rsync. It's free, and super fast! But for scheduling, you need to do it by your own(e.g. OS schedule task manager, crontab, etc... to run that rsync for good)

Since there is no ptp sync, so you won't need any daemon/service.

About the AOMEI, I don't know too much! but this is possible the larger app has handlers for every single file for monitoring. How many files you wish to backup? total number of files matter.
And how does this backup performs the backup? differential? increment? full-copy?

If you are in windows, go to start, and open services.msc, or services(this might need some small time to run).
Then try find the associated service for that AOMEI app service, and then stop, and set the start mode as manual.
Now you have to have your own dedicated schedule, to start the service at target point, and then stop it. The process will be the same for rsync I mentioned, instead with AOMEI you may have some UI wizard, while rsync works through terminal.

Another alternative is using Easeus app, it comes with a free version, and works.
Unfortunately I just payed $50 for the software so I would like to use it still. I have 32gb of ram so its not an end all, I just would like to know what the program is up to and why it is running all the time.
When I back up the drives it scans through 500 or so gb's worth of files and updates changes or deleted files. Are you suggesting the running program is constantly monitoring those folders then?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
What OS are you running?

In Windows, go into Task Manager > Startup. You are likely to find that AOMEI Backup is being launched at startup.

Disable and then put a shortcut icon on your desktop to launch AOMEI Backup when you do want it to run.

Win10
I did check that and strangely it is not even listed on the startup programs, but it does start itself even after reboot.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Almost certainly due to settings in that application.
One for checking if there are updates, and the other for the Sync.

You should be able to turn those off.

There actually doesn't seem to be, the settings are surprisingly bare-bones. The only option I thought might affect it is an option for "Backup Service" to use either: "Microsoft VSS" or "AOMEI Backup Service".
Currently it is using Microsoft VSS.

Sep 28, 2019
I have 32gb of ram so its not an end all
This might be silly, but let's hope that app doesn't allocate memory by total memory, for example 10% of total. You may reduce the RAM to 8GB for example, and recheck if the amount of memory usage gets lower. If so, try check settings in backup apps about mem management, and hope there are some options.

I just would like to know what the program is up to and why it is running all the time
This is normal, the background service keeps working for sake of stability, but not all apps go this way.

Are you suggesting the running program is constantly monitoring those folders then?
Depends! I ask you again, what kind of backup you are performing? full-backup? differential? increment?
Again also mind, having one big 2GB file needs one handler, but 2k small files needs the same 2k handlers, so more file you have for backup, more handler that backup app may allocate. more handlers = more memory

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Depends! I ask you again, what kind of backup you are performing? full-backup? differential? increment?
Again also mind, having one big 2GB file needs one handler, but 2k small files needs the same 2k handlers, so more file you have for backup, more handler that backup app may allocate. more handlers = more memory

I am indeed backing up a LOT of smaller files so that could be a part. Still I don't see why it needs to run 24/7.. and won't allow me to change it.

Sep 28, 2019
I am indeed backing up a LOT of smaller files so that could be a part. Still I don't see why it needs to run 24/7.. and won't allow me to change it.
Technically, tracking files in realtime, needs less IO and process over bulk check, while it has it's CONs as memory usage as you experienced.

While backup service is monitoring, it knows which file need to backed up, so instead of reading all files and process them, it simply mark the ones are being changes, so this COULD be the reason for memory usage(am not sure, but possible and logical)

The rsync for example I mentioned, it comes with no service(note rsync daemon is something else), so you schedule the script to backup the files. It read all needed files, and check if they need any new backup(fast check, using meta data/date-modified for example) and perform the file copy/backup.

That's it, some apps were designed and implemented very good, some no! we have bad(lazy) and good(eager) programmers. One releases apps/junks fast, others implement great stuffs but so slow(becasue it needs time indeed)

TRENDING THREADS